“Excellent welcome, service and food” 5 of 5 stars

01794-368652
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent welcome, service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We visited this pub following a first class recommendation. Ten of us from our local WI ate there last night. The welcome from Glenis was very warm. We wanted to buy our driver a drink and Glenis splt the drinks bill for all of us.

The menu choice was varied and appetising with a specials board too. The starters were enormous and two of us shared the beer-battered brie, thank goodness, as the brie wedges were huge and I wouldn't have managed a maincourse if I'd had one all to myself.

The meals were well presented and served on very hot plates. For those who had food with vegetables, there were portions of at least 4 different ones in a bowl per person. One lady requested a jacket potato instead of the chips and the kitchen obliged. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble.

We left totally full after a very good evening and I strongly recommend eating here and will certainly return.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
Romsey, United Kingdom
“New owners, better value, lovely food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We visited this pub for the first time since under new management. We were pleasantly surprised. The choice of food was extensive, I had a lovely pie, homemade and vegetables were perfectly cooked. My husband had ham egg and chips, which he thouroughly enjoyed. I managed to fit in a pudding, and chose jam sponge pudding (a traditional favourite of mine) and it was beautiful. Staff were very attentive and welcoming, I noticed that everyone chose to give a tip at the bar, which says a lot. We have booked again for my birthday as we were so impressed. Ignore previous negative reviews, some people can never be satisfied. The food was also good value. What could there be to complain about!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We eat at the Wheatsheaf,on Sunday 2nd Dec at lunch time. The staff were very friendly and helpful The roast meals were lovely and very well cooked, the portions were large. The log fire made it very homely

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southern England
“Lovely Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We ate at the Wheatsheaf on Saturday 17th Nov so I am surprised to see such a terrible write-up as that of 18th Nov. The food we were served on the 17th could not have been nicer and large portions. We visited with a couple of friends and all of us agreed that the food was beautifully cooked and tasty, well worth another visit. The welcome from the landlady was great too. It’s good to see a pub re-open and it would be a pity if the previous review puts anyone off a visit when we found quite the opposite.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Awful food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went to the Wheatsheaf for Sunday lunch on my husband's birthday. Staff were friendly and polite but the food was terrible. The roast potatoes were inedible and we were unable to cut them, the yorkshire pudding was overcooked and we were also unable to cut them and the meat chewy. Over all a very dissapointing experience. My children did not eat any of their meal and roast dinner is a favourite. We went to the wheatsheaf as the reviews on trip advisior were positive, however our meal was far from that. I would not recommend a visit.

Visited November 2012