“An unforgettable tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Attractions in Carencro
Rome, Italy
“An unforgettable tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We were a group of four friends and were all very pleased with this tour of Lake Martin.
The lake and the swamp are very beautiful, and the early morning light made them even more enchanting. We saw plenty of beautiful birds, some alligators, and majestic cypress trees. But besides the scenery and the animals, the tour was fascinating because of Mr. DLH's personality. He is a very interesting man, he has a lot of stories to share, not only about the swamp ecosystem, but also about his life and Cajun life and traditions. He showed us how men's intervention had changed (in some cases ruined) parts of the swamp, what was being done to restore certain areas, and it was very informative. He answered all our questions showing real knowledge (sometimes guides make up very stupid answers). He treats nature with respect and seems to have a true connection and passion for the swamp, which he communicated to us with his stories.
A couple of his dogs joined us on the tour, they were beautiful and well behaved. His daughter was there too, she was taking notes and was a very interesting young woman.
What I loved about this tour is that it was small (he only took the 4 of us), personable, and accurate. It wasn't a mass tourism experience, but a much more genuine and enjoyable one. While we were on the lake, we saw a couple of other tours with 10-15 people each, and I was SO happy that we had booked our small tour with DLH! He was a few minutes late, but he made that up by giving us a much longer tour (over 3 hours overall), which was great. The boat he uses is a skiff (the ones used to catch crawfish) and was very comfortable. I absolutely recommend this tour to anyone who is interested in nature (not in poking alligators with a stick!) and is looking for a more genuine swamp experience.

Visited June 2011

Alexandria, Louisiana
“Well worth the trip to get there.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Marcus de la Houssaye has the gift of gab, and can talk your arm off, but he does know his stuff. He obviously loves the Louisiana swamp and will keep you entertained and well informed. His dogs are a little smelly (and when I commented on them I think I offended him a little), but he is a genuine cajun with a genuine friendly cajun personality. His love of life and the land that he has lived in all his life is contagious.

Visited February 2011
Cologne
“True and authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

We have been following Marcus' blog for almost a year before wen came down to Louisiana to see the spectacular La Fayette, Breaux Bridge, Atchafalaya area. A tour was a must on our schedule and from what we read and compared, he seemed to be the right guy. We had no interest in touristic gator wrestling kind rubbish that we experienced in Florida. We wanted to see nature, learn about the environment and enjoy the beauty of the swamp. Marcus was the perfect guide. Although it's a bit unusual for Europeans to make this kind of appointments simply by phone, everything worked out great. We came off season, so we were his only guests and were accompanied by two dogs and a puppy. Big fun! Marcus likes to talk and maybe likes to hear himself talking as well. But we learned a lot of things. And as he's native and well experienced, you learn a lot about the environment, it's problems and it's beauties. There was no time limit and we experienced almost 2 hours on the lake including wildlife from ducks to eagles and, yes, even a few gators. And if you have problems finding Lake Martin Landing, use Google Maps.

Visited October 2010
Melville, New York
“A quintessential Louisiana experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

We had an amazing trip with Marcus de la Houssaye. He is knowledgeable and personable. An added bonus is his dogs - catahoulas - the Louisiana state dog. Don't know if he always brings a dog or two along, but we had the pleasure of traveling with two, including a six week old puppy. Not the kind of wildlife you expect to see on a swamp tour but great traveling companions.
Marcus called me the day before to reconfirm, his directions were perfect, and the entire experience lived up to - even surpassed - our expectations. The scenery is magnificent, even in winter when the wildlife sightings are limited (we saw egrets, blue herons, and cormorants). I highly recommend using him for a swamp tour that will remind you of what makes Louisiana special, and why it's so important that we do whatever we can to protect this amazing environment.

Austin, Texas
“de la Houssaye is unreliable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

I was traveling to Florida, and worked in a couple of hours to go out on a swamp tour, something I have always wanted to do. The directions provided by Mr De La Houssaye were minimal, but I managed to find the landing anyway. I arrived 20 mins early, and he was not there. I called him for the 2cnd time that morning, and he informed me that he wasnt doing the tour. Basically, he stood me up. I wasnt given an early notice so that I could have made arrangements with another tour guide. There are 3 others Lake Martin, and I highly recommend you make arrangements with them.

catahoula10, Owner at de la Houssaye's Swamp Tours, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
I am Marcus de la Houssaye, and I own and operate de la Houssaye's Swamp Tours at Lake Martin. I made a "tentative reservation" for one person named HAWGWILD several weeks in advance, and informed her she needed to confirm the time 24 hours in advance and conform to the group reservation for that morning, because I did not do tours for only one person. She did not confirm her reservation 24 hours in advance as prescribed by me, and on the day of the tour left me a voice mail on my cell phone at 6AM, advising me she was on the road to Lake Martin. I assume she thought that was a confirmation? She then went to the boat landing an hour before the tour started, called me again and got mad at me and hung up when I advised her the group tour she was scheduled to join that day left an hour later than she thought, due to her failure to confirm her reservation a day in advance. I did do the tour scheduled for that morning without her, due to her failing to follow a simple procedure for confirming a single person reservation in a timely manner, and then her choosing to leave the landing before the tours scheduled departure for that day. Her complaint says more about her unreliability than my own, and I regret we were unable to syncronize our schedules.