“Spacious rooms, friendly staff” 3 of 5 stars

MainStay Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Gould Drive, Bossier City, LA 71111   |
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Bossier City
Texas
“Spacious rooms, friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

First, the suites were huge. Our room had two beds on the main floor (one a sofa bed) and a kingsize bed upstairs. There were two bathrooms (one on each floor), a kitchen, a sitting area, 2 TVs. Air conditioning worked well. It would be a good place for a family to stay. The bed was comfortable.

On the down side:
- The decor was dated and run down
- Some of our neighbors thought partying outside their room was the thing to do. The rooms were quiet enough that the noise didn't bother us, but it was messy outside afterward.
- The shower in the downstairs bathroom didn't work properly.
- The setting of the property wasn't the most pleasant. But it is popular, with several other hotels in the immediate vicinity, another new one being constructed next door.
- The breakfast was minimal; the first morning the potatoes I got were dried out, having sat out too long.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel had a nice lay out as far as rooms. Full kitchen,living room and nice size bathroom. My #1 complaint was the sheets either were not washed between guest or was pulled out of stoarage. It was clear they were not freshly washed, really grossed me out. The bathoom floor was sticky as if cough medicine has been split on it. I really had to wonder If the cleaning staff was not taking short cuts by not changing out bed sheets. My only other complaint was for a woman traveling alone it was dangerous. The room numbers were not clearly marked. The only way I could see the room numbers require I roam around in the dark going room to room. Now for the positive. This could be a nice hotel for the price. The rooms were not all that unclean as the only areas I had complaints about was the sheets and bathroom floor. You just can't get around clean sheets! I would suggest that management do some spot checks to be sure sheets are being changed out between guest. Also put up some clear markings so guest can find the rooms at night. Now if your the guest I Woukd suggest you Check your sheets upon arrival and request clean sheets if you find they appear unwashed. As the title states, it could be really nice with better oversight.

• Stayed June 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I've never stayed at a MainStay Suites before and was really surprised at the room, especially after some of the recent bad reviews. The Bossier city lowest-rate room is basically a furnished efficiency apartment. Full kitchen (with oven/stove, full sized refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher), office area with internet, small living room, big screen TV, comfy Queen sized bed, and a large vanity area in the bathroom. The hotel grounds appear to be an old apartment complex with separate buildings. Lots of amenities, including Hot Breakfast.
The only down side was the guy working the counter when I checked in Monday night June 11. Either he was having a bad day, or just generally not very personable. I hope I just caught him on a bad day.

Room Tip: I'd suggest staying in a unit away from the pool - was very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

We were a little worried by a couple f bad reviews we read but we just had to check it out because of the price. The room was basically an efficiency apartment, full kitchen, a little dark but very spacious. We stayed one night with our 7 month old, swam in the pool (small but empty besides us) and had the free hot breakfast (pretty much Waffle House quality but a nice selection and hey: free). We didn't deal with the staff much but the ones we did were polite. Barring any future problems we plan to stay again every weekend we are in town. I will say there was some late night coming and going that may have been too loud had we not been on the top floor but it's right by the interstate overpass and the traffic sounds didn't bother us. My baby slept through the night in fact which is truly a miracle. :)

• Stayed June 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

MainStay in Bossier City used to be a Residence Inn, but Vimal Management is running this place right into the ground (despite having a full kitchen). Checked into our room...sofa & bed are old but okay. Rest of the furniture was pure crap and the TV didn't work. Kitchen vent hood not wiped down for a few years. Moved into another room. Same crap furniture but the TV worked. Then, my wife pointed out the water damaged ceilings. I looked around and found a syringe (used) in the kitchen cabinet. Internet? Not a chance....one of their wireless routers had been stolen. Next morning, the manager moved us next to the lobby to a room with a king size bed. Internet ok. TV ok. Same crap furniture, but whatever. Opened the closet next to the doorway....dunno if it was black spraypaint or not, but it looked like mold to me. Conclusion: if you stay here insist on staying next to the lobby for Internet and keep your shoes on. All of the carpet looks unclean and sticky linoleum in the kitchen. Breakfast? Scoop out the eggs from the middle of the pan cause they're burned on top and soggy at the bottom. Cook said I could warm up my cold potatoes in the microwave.

Room Tip: Don't unpack your belongings till you thoroughly check out the room...you may end up moving a fe...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was probably the worst hotel I have stayed at in 30 years. The room stunk, was dirty, noisy, and the wireless internet did not work. The TV and cable barely worked with all of 7 or 8 channels. There was (literally) a four foot high pile of trach just outside the rooms front door - 3 feet away in a nook created by the stairs to the second story rooms. It stank, had flies buzzing around, and look like it had been there for days. The food provided was a "D". The attitude of the front desk people was not hospitable nor did they seem to really care whether they served you or not. The entire property has been allowed to run down. It looks like the original owners sold it to an Indian group (probably Patel) and allowing it to deteriorate then will close it down and move on. For $10 more per room I could have stayed at the highrise casino - and will next time. Whoever the owners are must have had their family and friends write glowing reviews on your/their web site. The place "sucked dead goats". I will make sure everyone I know - including the economic developers I was visiting with know what a crappy place it was and tell them to make sure the word is out to everyone that comes to there for a visit. I may have been screwed by the hotel - but please pass on to them I will make sure they pay in lost business for years to come.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This is basically an apartment complex...as such, it includes a separate sitting area and full kitchen with fridge, stove, coffee maker and microwave oven. The bed was comfortable and the hdtv is at least 40 inches. Ordered a pizza from Papa Johns online and they found the room without a problem! There were some water puddles on the sidewalks, but given the sorry state of most of the overpriced hotels in this area, I'll live with that. Breakfast was great with everything you could ask for except the slow service and high prices that usually come with it. This will be my first choice assuming I can get a decent price (as I did this time) when staying in this area, which is sometimes hard to come by.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!