“Management of Your Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #43 of 69 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Bossier City, Louisiana
“Management of Your Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stay at your motel during LSU football season home games - two nights per week-end. We have been doing this since 2003. Before that, my husband traveled on his job - and he spent an average of 10 nights per month at this hotel for 20 years. The reason we choose to stay at this Holiday Inn is because of the personnel that you have working there. Maggie Maddie, Miss Mary and all the wait help in the restaurant make us feel so welcome - we are treated like family when we walk in the front door - not customers who are just there to fill a room. Maggie goes out of her way on making our reservations and taking care of all of our personal needs. We plan to continue staying at this Holiday Inn as long as you have competent
people like this working at your hotel. Jeri and John

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Jeri C,
It is nice to hear someone comment on all the hard work that we do. Thank you for your kind words. I have not had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but when I read this review to the staff they immediately knew you by name. That lets me know that we are giving the personal service that we should be. According to your review we should be seeing you this weekend! Can't wait to meet you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
ROSEDALE, MARYLAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We recently spent 5 days at this hotel, but because it was pre-arranged for our group. We made our reservations in July for two attached rooms (because of health problems) and reconfirmed the reservation at three different intervals- each confirmation assuring that the rooms were reserved, as requested. When we checked in, we found out the rooms were not reserved. After explaining the situation and providing dates of the recomfirmation- the desk clerk just said there's nothing she can do about it, with a care less, take-it or leave-it attitude. We had to settle for other rooms. On the way out to tell everyone the bad news about the room situation, there was a lady outside welcoming everybody into the hotel. When she asked me how everything was I told her about my disatisfaction with the room reservation situation. She said she would see what could be done. I really didn't know who this lady was or what postion she held in the hotel. I later found out that her name was Jan and she was the GM of the hotel. We unloaded the car and went to our rooms. Our room wasn't attached however, the other room had a door joining the another room. I went back to the desk and asked why couldn't I have the attached room. The desk clerk said that room was in a block of rooms. After further questioning I found out that the block of rooms that was asked for, none needed to be attached. I also found out that those rooms were reserved way after my reservation. After questioing the clerk again, she said she would need to check with someone else. She went into the back and came out and said that I only need to spend the one night in the other room and then in the morning they would move me into the other room. I said, since that room is vacant now, why do I need to wait until tomorrow morning before I can move in. Again, she went into the back and came out and said I could move into it right away. I knew we were in trouble when the desk clerk tried to explain to the person who had checked in earlier couildn't find the 7th floor on the elevator. He went to the elevator looking for the 7th floor but could not find a button for the 7th floor. The desk clerk explained to him that the hotel doesn't have a 7th floor in the building, but the attached, two story, building has the 7th floor (which is ground level) and the 8th floor is above it. The next morning, at breakfast I saw the same lady that was out if front of the hotel, the day before, cleaning dishes off the tables in the restaurant. Later that morning I met this lady again getting into the elevator. That's when I asked her who she was and she identified herself as the GM of the hotel. During our stay we ate breakfast in the restaurant because it was included with our room rate. Every breakfast we sat a different table. In total, we sat at 5 different tables. Every table top, every morning, was sticky and needed cleaning and usually missing some table condiments. There was supposed to be a cook on the buffet line frying eggs. A couple of days it was a cook, then there was a waitress and on one occassion the bookkeeper from the office was on the grill. Obviously, because of the food handleing and lack of cleanliness, Safe Serve requirements do not apply to this food service operation. It also wasn't unusual to go to the buffet line to get your food only to find upon return, someone else sitting in your seat. The hostess doesn't keep track of where she seats people and just sits them down in an empty seat. This happens about 5 minutes after she seats someone and then goes back and get someone else to sit in the same seat. It appears there are no assigned areas for the waitresses to work, since one would go to get your juice and coffee and another waitress would start taking cups and glasses from another table and tell you she'll be right back with the juice and coffee, meanwhile the first waitress is behind her, because she had already taken your order. The housekeeping is also slow. At 9AM in the morning, the housekeeper was two rooms away from cleaning our rooms. We purposly stayed away from our rooms to give her a chance to clean. At 1230, we figured she should be finished and we went to our rooms. She still didn't get to our rooms yet and was just next door. There also is a business center in this hotel. Don't bet on doing any business out of it. What you can bet on is the copier needing toner or paper, printer not working or out of paper. When they quit working, don't ask for help from the desk- they look at you as if it's not their job. This place was a real experience from the screwed up room resevation system to the screwed up banquet menu, that didn't get straightened out until the last minute. The sales and marketing staff really leave a lot to be desired. I have never seen such a collection unprofessional people working in a hospitality environment. It is my understanding that Jan, the GM, has only been there a short time. She appears to be a hands -on and caring individual. However, she has a tough road ahead of her with the problems with housekeeping, reservations & front desk, food service, and the inept, could care-less attitude, of the sales and marketing staff. I wish her good luck in trying to overcome these obstacles. I'm glad our stay is over in this hotel. I know that our group will never return to this hotel because of the problems we have experienced, and the many, many others in our group that have experienced the same or worse horror stories during this stay. Hopefully, this will serve as a fore warning to others before they make a commitment to this hotel.

Room Tip: With so many in our group having so many problems- the only tip on choosing a good room is to find o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Senioronthego,
I thoroughly enjoyed having your group here but I must say that it saddens me to hear that only one employee impressed you. Due to the nature of the business, we are unfortunately not always able to honor requests such as adjoining rooms. I am glad to see that we did have the request on your reservation when you re-confirmed, but I am sorry that we did not do all that we could to honor that request. We want to avoid disappointing you whenever possible, but it seems we did not exhaust all of our options and it caused you undue frustration. Thanks to your posting we have begun using a different cleaning product on the table tops to eliminate the chemical residue that you mentioned. As for the cooking eggs on the line, just like that one employee you encountered over and over again, we are all very much team players. To ensure a smooth level of breakfast service for our groups that day the bookkeeper (who started his career many moons ago as a line cook) volunteered his services. I apologize if it did not appear that way. Overall it seems as though we simply did not make you feel welcomed and at home which is always our goal. We take your concerns very seriously and have made some adjustments accordingly. We honestly care a lot about taking care of you and we hope to see you again.
Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The hotel is nice although getting to it is sometimes hard due to traffic as you come off Interstate.
The hotel rooms are small, and you don't really have a choice of the inside rooms, or the outside "motel" style rooms. Housekeeping fails to provide trash bags, ice bucket liners and cups. Friends staying during the same time, related having their personnel belongings gone through, food items missing, and ice chest left open, during their absence from room. Reports to front desk were handled by calling housekeeping on radio, when reported, it seemed that front desk persons felt they were being bothered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear MississippiLawdog,
Thank you for the compliment about our hotel, however I am sorry that our housekeeping department was not as impressive. I assure you that it is unusual for the room attendant not to leave trash bags, cups, and so forth as those are daily items provided to all guest rooms. It is also unusual that guests would have their belongings gone through, however I will be sure to bring it to my Executive Housekeeper's attention so that we can keep an eye on things. Thank you for taking time to help us improve! If there is anything else that I can do for you please don't hesitate to let me know!
NewYork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent 5 nights at a Naval Reunion here. It was absolutely lovely. We had an interior room (must have been recently remodeled as everything looked new). King bed--mattress very comfy. Room was very clean and staff extremely friendly. Breakfast was included in our stay and it was a very nice buffet. They have someone at the grill and you can have your eggs anyway you want--including omelettes. We would highly recommend this hotel. There is an outdoor pool and during our stay it was not crowded and although we had limited time at the pool, it was quite nice.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brandy_Bolden, Owner at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Joyce 1948,
I'm glad to hear you had such a good time with us! We enjoyed having you as well! I have not been managing this property long, but I have encountered many different military reunions since I've been here and each one is more fun than the last! Thank you for your kind words and thank you for making our jobs so much more exciting! I know your reunion is in Washington next year but hopefully we’ll see you again soon!
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I preface this review that we did not choose to stay here, but we were brought in with a group. The staff was mostly pleasant. The fitness center was adequate. The rooms were not impeccable, but the linens and furniture were updated. The bathrooms were old. The breakfast was a buffet with no gluten-free dairy-free or otherwise healthy choices. The servers were pleasant. A menu was not provided for option to cobble together an a la carte meal like a veggie omelette. After our group checked in, we wanted to enjoy a cup of coffee by the pool. We asked the bartender if we could order coffee and the response we got was "Not A Chance" (what well-behaved adult says this to strangers?!) and then we asked him if he coud provide us a number for a cab company (aren't bartenders supposed to know for ATC licensing?). The bartender literally LAUGHED at us about asking about cabs (how preposterous for travelers to might need a cab!). We had reservations at Maison Lacour (he hadnt heard of it, we werent surprised) and he discouraged us that cab service was unreliable, and walking was completely unsafe since the streets of Baton Rouge have been rendered murderous cesspools thanks to New Orleans and Katrina. We are from New Orleans. Clearly this bartender needs to be sent to charm school or taught how to respond in a hospitable and welcoming manner to guests. Hotels being in the hospitality business and all. Needless to say, we managed to find a cab number for a very pleasant and reliable cab company and my husband took a morning jog out on Hammond Highway without being murdered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is certainly not our intention to insult you regarding the city you are from. I apologize for the comment that was made. My mother is from New Orleans, still lives there to this day in fact, so I can speak from experience when I say that the people of New Orleans are wonderful. In no way do the events that you described reflect the type of service we are striving for at our hotel. Although you did not choose us, I am sorry that we failed to capitalize on the opportunity to wow you. You are right... as a hotel it is our entire mission to be hospitable and welcoming. Please do not let one bad apple spoil the bunch. If ever you are in the area again I invite you to give us another chance to show you what we're really all about.
Elysian Fields, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stay at a lot of Holiday Inns..Platinum Member...90 nights so far this year at HI. I guess overall I was major underwhelmed. At check in I was not greeted as Priority member although I was given a coupon for a discount at the restaurant that I did use.

The main building is Holiday Inn all the way...attractive and very nice. It is not untill you are assigned your room and you begin walking that...uhm....you realize you have been sent to steerage. Remember in the movie "Titanic"? Where the poor people have their rooms??
The "blocks" as I believe they call them are nothing more than crummy Days Inn buildings. Thin walls, small rooms, cheesy furniture and if remember correctly, even the TV was an old CRT.
It reminded me of the bad old days when I had to stay in these type of places. The crappy curtians that kind of don't close, the concrete walk ways outside your door, people stomping back and forth all night. The only thing missing was the rude Indian at check in.

Now-to be fair...the bed was typical wonderfull Holiday Inn comfortable as were the linens ect. Everything was clean...this was NOT an issue at all. I ate at the restaurant and it was quite good- I was served at the bar. With the coupon it came to, like 5 bucks for diiner! Think I had a club sandwich and it was very good. I am certian if you are to stay in the main building, you would not have gotten the feeling I did. The grounds are well manicured and quite attractive.

I guess I can sum it up this way. The price was as high as I am used to. The room was not worth the bucks or what I expected. The whole place left me feeling a bit cool. For the heavy traveler, you come to really appriciate the feeling of being welcomed and the minor interations you have with the staff. You will not feel like much staying here. If charged a lower rate I would not have felt as I do.

BTW...my "poor" rating is ONLY as compared to other Holiday Inn properties. Not to be confused with Hindu-huts.

Room Tip: try to get a room in the main building- or you will be sorry
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Tim H,
Thank you for being such a loyal Priority Club member. You are clearly making the Holiday Inn brand your choice hotel and for that we are very grateful. Being a top tier Platinum level guest is very special and I apologize that my staff did not acknowledge your status. I will personally work with them to ensure that we are giving the proper welcome in the future. Also, I understand your concerns about our exterior rooms. While they are the same dimensions and have the same furniture as the interior rooms, I can see how you could feel separated by the pools and the garden. We do still have a few rooms that do not have the new flat screen TVs but as part of our commitment to constantly improving the property we have developed a plan to get them installed sooner rather than later. I am glad that you enjoyed your food in the restaurant! Our new Executive Chef has developed a new menu that we have just began using and your feedback helps us know if our changes are pleasing to our guests. Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we can improve. If you find yourself in town again give us a call and feel free to request a tower room. We would love another chance to take care of you!
Hopewell Junction, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was our 8th Reunion and by far the best...The entire hotel departments from Housekeeping to Sales to Food & Beverage were outstanding.Never received any complaints from the 140 attendees.I must mention Ms. Heather Day(Sales Manager)as been the reasons why this reunion was outstanding.Her and I have been planning this reunion since September/2010 and because of her dedication,professionalism and her ability to resolve problems and issues made this reunion very unique and special.

Room Tip: Some rooms may not have the view that you are comfortable with.Check with the front desk before rece...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Wow, thank you for such a nice compliment! It means a lot to us that you and your group were all so satisfied! We really enjoyed having you here... some of the people in your group had really great stories to tell. I'm especially happy to hear our sales manager Heather took such good care of you. She along with the rest of the staff are such hard workers and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the fruits of our labors. That's why we are in this business. People like yourself motivate us to do our best each and everyday. Thank you again for your kind words. We can't wait for your next visit!

Been to Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel? Share your experiences!