“Naval Reunion in Baton Rouge” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #42 of 69 hotels in Baton Rouge
NewYork
“Naval Reunion in Baton Rouge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent 5 nights at a Naval Reunion here. It was absolutely lovely. We had an interior room (must have been recently remodeled as everything looked new). King bed--mattress very comfy. Room was very clean and staff extremely friendly. Breakfast was included in our stay and it was a very nice buffet. They have someone at the grill and you can have your eggs anyway you want--including omelettes. We would highly recommend this hotel. There is an outdoor pool and during our stay it was not crowded and although we had limited time at the pool, it was quite nice.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brandy_Bolden, Owner at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Joyce 1948,
I'm glad to hear you had such a good time with us! We enjoyed having you as well! I have not been managing this property long, but I have encountered many different military reunions since I've been here and each one is more fun than the last! Thank you for your kind words and thank you for making our jobs so much more exciting! I know your reunion is in Washington next year but hopefully we’ll see you again soon!

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I preface this review that we did not choose to stay here, but we were brought in with a group. The staff was mostly pleasant. The fitness center was adequate. The rooms were not impeccable, but the linens and furniture were updated. The bathrooms were old. The breakfast was a buffet with no gluten-free dairy-free or otherwise healthy choices. The servers were pleasant. A menu was not provided for option to cobble together an a la carte meal like a veggie omelette. After our group checked in, we wanted to enjoy a cup of coffee by the pool. We asked the bartender if we could order coffee and the response we got was "Not A Chance" (what well-behaved adult says this to strangers?!) and then we asked him if he coud provide us a number for a cab company (aren't bartenders supposed to know for ATC licensing?). The bartender literally LAUGHED at us about asking about cabs (how preposterous for travelers to might need a cab!). We had reservations at Maison Lacour (he hadnt heard of it, we werent surprised) and he discouraged us that cab service was unreliable, and walking was completely unsafe since the streets of Baton Rouge have been rendered murderous cesspools thanks to New Orleans and Katrina. We are from New Orleans. Clearly this bartender needs to be sent to charm school or taught how to respond in a hospitable and welcoming manner to guests. Hotels being in the hospitality business and all. Needless to say, we managed to find a cab number for a very pleasant and reliable cab company and my husband took a morning jog out on Hammond Highway without being murdered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is certainly not our intention to insult you regarding the city you are from. I apologize for the comment that was made. My mother is from New Orleans, still lives there to this day in fact, so I can speak from experience when I say that the people of New Orleans are wonderful. In no way do the events that you described reflect the type of service we are striving for at our hotel. Although you did not choose us, I am sorry that we failed to capitalize on the opportunity to wow you. You are right... as a hotel it is our entire mission to be hospitable and welcoming. Please do not let one bad apple spoil the bunch. If ever you are in the area again I invite you to give us another chance to show you what we're really all about.
Elysian Fields, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stay at a lot of Holiday Inns..Platinum Member...90 nights so far this year at HI. I guess overall I was major underwhelmed. At check in I was not greeted as Priority member although I was given a coupon for a discount at the restaurant that I did use.

The main building is Holiday Inn all the way...attractive and very nice. It is not untill you are assigned your room and you begin walking that...uhm....you realize you have been sent to steerage. Remember in the movie "Titanic"? Where the poor people have their rooms??
The "blocks" as I believe they call them are nothing more than crummy Days Inn buildings. Thin walls, small rooms, cheesy furniture and if remember correctly, even the TV was an old CRT.
It reminded me of the bad old days when I had to stay in these type of places. The crappy curtians that kind of don't close, the concrete walk ways outside your door, people stomping back and forth all night. The only thing missing was the rude Indian at check in.

Now-to be fair...the bed was typical wonderfull Holiday Inn comfortable as were the linens ect. Everything was clean...this was NOT an issue at all. I ate at the restaurant and it was quite good- I was served at the bar. With the coupon it came to, like 5 bucks for diiner! Think I had a club sandwich and it was very good. I am certian if you are to stay in the main building, you would not have gotten the feeling I did. The grounds are well manicured and quite attractive.

I guess I can sum it up this way. The price was as high as I am used to. The room was not worth the bucks or what I expected. The whole place left me feeling a bit cool. For the heavy traveler, you come to really appriciate the feeling of being welcomed and the minor interations you have with the staff. You will not feel like much staying here. If charged a lower rate I would not have felt as I do.

BTW...my "poor" rating is ONLY as compared to other Holiday Inn properties. Not to be confused with Hindu-huts.

Room Tip: try to get a room in the main building- or you will be sorry
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Tim H,
Thank you for being such a loyal Priority Club member. You are clearly making the Holiday Inn brand your choice hotel and for that we are very grateful. Being a top tier Platinum level guest is very special and I apologize that my staff did not acknowledge your status. I will personally work with them to ensure that we are giving the proper welcome in the future. Also, I understand your concerns about our exterior rooms. While they are the same dimensions and have the same furniture as the interior rooms, I can see how you could feel separated by the pools and the garden. We do still have a few rooms that do not have the new flat screen TVs but as part of our commitment to constantly improving the property we have developed a plan to get them installed sooner rather than later. I am glad that you enjoyed your food in the restaurant! Our new Executive Chef has developed a new menu that we have just began using and your feedback helps us know if our changes are pleasing to our guests. Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we can improve. If you find yourself in town again give us a call and feel free to request a tower room. We would love another chance to take care of you!
Hopewell Junction, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was our 8th Reunion and by far the best...The entire hotel departments from Housekeeping to Sales to Food & Beverage were outstanding.Never received any complaints from the 140 attendees.I must mention Ms. Heather Day(Sales Manager)as been the reasons why this reunion was outstanding.Her and I have been planning this reunion since September/2010 and because of her dedication,professionalism and her ability to resolve problems and issues made this reunion very unique and special.

Room Tip: Some rooms may not have the view that you are comfortable with.Check with the front desk before rece...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Wow, thank you for such a nice compliment! It means a lot to us that you and your group were all so satisfied! We really enjoyed having you here... some of the people in your group had really great stories to tell. I'm especially happy to hear our sales manager Heather took such good care of you. She along with the rest of the staff are such hard workers and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the fruits of our labors. That's why we are in this business. People like yourself motivate us to do our best each and everyday. Thank you again for your kind words. We can't wait for your next visit!
mbm59
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed here 11 days until a Marriott property became available. I was in Baton Rouge on business. I arrived close to 11:00 pm, at check in Jason appeared annoyed I had arrived He didn't ask for my Priority memebership number, didn't give me the complimentary breakfast coupon and the $5.00 off dinner coupon. This hotel has rooms above the lobby and rooms NOT attached to lobby. This section is 2 floors with no elevator. The room are medicore at best. The door doesn't open to an enclosed hallway it more like a "motel" setting. NO small fridge or microwave for the room. A co-worker left her cell phone charger in room and had asked Jason if he could get housekeeping to get it and leave at front dsk for me to get. When I inquired about the charger the evening staff ws very rude, asking me who all kinds of questions about who she spoke to, needless to say the charger was not found. The breakfast buffett was excellent and the hostess Mary IS THE NICEST EMPLOYEE THEY HAVE.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Mbm59,
I am truly sorry that our desk staff did not make you feel welcomed or acknowledge your status as a Priority Club member. I can understand what an inconvenience it must have been to not receive the meal coupon or your cell phone charger and I apologize for that as well. It is never our intention to make our guests feel unappreciated. I am happy to hear that your experience with Ms. Mary in the restaurant was much better and I will personally address the front desk staff to ensure that we leave you with a more positive experience on your next visit. Thank you for sharing your comments and helping us to become better customer service specialists!
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Lobby is nice, but the Southwest theme is odd for this part of the country.
Hotel is made up of a newer tower and an older "exterior" section - think old motel with outside walkways. I just don't feel safe with people walking by my door and window all night.
New decor is nice, but they didn't seem to improve the facilities/mechanics. First room we were in had soaking wet carpet and the air conditioner didn't work. Second room had a wet spot near the bathroom sink. I set a towel over it and was disgusted to see it soaked up some dark brown liquid! Gross!!
A/C units leak water all over the sidewalks. They are loud and don't cool the rooms efficiently or evenly.
Rust spots near the door locks made me feel unsafe like the lock could be pried off and the room broken into.
Curtains don't cover the windows completely to block out the lights from the parking lot.
Bed was comfortable, but the pillows are the size of airplane pillows. Was pleased to see plain white duvets and sheets that were very clean instead of those nasty old bedspreads.
No safe in the room.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. While I am glad that you like our remodel, I can see how the theme can be slightly confusing. It is a nod to the Spanish influence in Louisiana back in the mid 1700's. Our way of standing out among other local hotels. We are aware that we still have PTAC units that should be replaced and every month we are switching out old ones for new ones. The inconsistencies with our older units are what cause the various problems that you described. Also, I will certainly address the rust spots on the security latches with maintenance to ensure proper working order in all of our rooms. If we ever have the pleasure of having you back please know that we offer a pillow menu so that you may choose a pillow that better suites you, but I am glad you noticed the cleanliness of the bed! Hope to see you again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 days after Isaac. My room smelled horrible and had a big wet spot by the window. Curtains were stained and ceiling leaked. Don't you check your rooms before selling them? Was already stressed and did not want move. Came home sick. Air conditioning didn't work. Had it on 62 and only felt 70.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Chrissiclay,
I sincerely apologize for your sub-par accommodations during your stay with us. You're right, we should be checking each and every room consistently to ensure that it is perfect for every guest. As part of the new management team I can assure you that clean, comfortable, and operational accommodations are our goal. We are slowly making progress towards this goal and day by day we are making the necessary changes to prevent future guests from having the same experience that you had. Since your stay, we have implemented a more detailed process for inspecting our rooms. Thank you for your honesty and I invite you to return in the future to enjoy us at our best!

Been to Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel? Share your experiences!