“Most enjoyable stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Vicksburg, Mississippi, United States
“Most enjoyable stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This stay was well above my expectations. This was a spur of the moment getaway for me and the family and we were very well impressed with the property. We are already planning a return trip. I work in the hotel industry and have a keen eye for detail. Job well done by the staff they were super friendly and professional.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were driving through the state and stopped here to stay the night. We pulled up and the parking lot was about 30% full so we assumed they had vacancies. It was about 7:30pm on Dec 23rd. My fiancé went to the front door and it was locked. He had to buzz the front desk several times before they let him in. He asked the receptionist for a room for the night. She promptly told him, "We don’t have any open rooms tonight". That's odd since the parking lot is not full. So we sat in the car, pulled out our phone, and proceeded to log onto the website and book a room. Within 20 minutes we had secured a room online. I went back inside, and checked in... no problem. The receptionist wasn’t friendly and when I asked why the front door was locked so early… her reply was “It’s the holiday season.”
I don’t know WHY the receptionist wouldn't allow my fiancé to book a room!! It's ridiculous that we had to sit in the parking lot, go online, and book a room.
Once inside, the room was half way clean. In the shower there was a LONG brown hair stuck to the wall. I have short, black curly hair- so I was not mine, nor my fiancé’s. Nasty.
The breakfast buffet the next morning was okay. It was standard for my Homewood Suites.
They really need to train the staff to be nicer and friendlier. That was lost money for Homewood Suites if we had walked away, like the receptionist told us to.
Sad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vicksburg, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Everyone in my family loved the hotel. It was well worth the weekend stay. The staff was so friendly and the rooms were so clean!! Although there were very few activities for my young brothers, they still had fun roaming about Baton Rouge and seeing the sights.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top level are quieter, although rooms on the lowere levels are closer to the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Easy quick check-in. Room clean, bed comfortable. Breakfast and dinner are very good - cooked on site (much better than pre-prepared at Hampton Inn). Quiet, staff helpful. Will definitely stay again when two-bedrooms are needed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

although the egg was rubbery and there was absolutely no boilded vegetables( none in the whole of Louisiana actually) the value for fve people stayong n two sutes was astonishng they up gradedus on arrval from atwo bed sute to two one bed suites. AND gave a dscount what heros. aircon/ heatomg was a little bit noisey, but overall I would recommend any homewood suite

Room Tip: all rooms are fine, dont be afaraid to ask for an upgrade, and get up for breakfast early as there i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Winnetka, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Homewood staff at this property are fantastic. They smile, are helpful, professional and truly made my business stay easy as being back home. As a business traveler, I appreciate that things happen like clockwork and issues are taken care of the first time.

Room Tip: Higher floors have easy access to multiple stairways, or elevator if you prefer.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was very pleased to be able to get a room at homewood suites. I have stayed in several of these hotels all over the country and was quite satisfied with the service. The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is a bit old, so I thought the hallways smell was just the old hotel smell.

I had a very big suite, one bedroom, kitchen, 2 closets and it smelled funny. Very spacious! The gym had everything I needed, and even though there were 2 washers and 2 dryers it was more than enough for the hotel guests. The AC worked on and off.

I stayed at the hotel during huricane Isaac. I expected the power to go off as it did. What I didn't expect was the pitch black hallways and stairs. I mean pitch black scary. None of the exit signs or emergency lights worked. At all! I was provided 2 glow sticks (not joking) to help me find my way. I downloaded the flashlight app in my phone and that helped a lot. I should have brought a real flashlight!

Most of the homewood suites take dogs, so I told my husband to come over with the dog for a visit. To my surprise the hotel didn't allow dogs, which is fine (I should have checked their policy). However, after this incident I mentioned to my husband the smell of the hotel...and sure enough they have smoking rooms. In my floor (3rd) I noticed at least 2 smoking rooms, with one of them across from my room! If you are a non-smoker there is nothing people can do to de-odorize smoke from carpet.

The house keeping was never consistent. Some days the bed was made, so days it wasn't. Same with everything else in the room.

I received several packages at the hotel and I learned about the packages because I checked at the front desk. Don't expect a courtesy call to let you know you have mail waiting for you.

The food was ok. No complaints there.

When I checked out I notice the rate of the hotel increased due to a lodging waiver for federal goverment, allowing for a higher rate per night. I know hotels are a business and they are all about making money, but I feel they are taking advantage of the waiver. I must say other Marriott facilities didn't increase their rates. I mean in the end, the more my room costs, the more it costs to the tax payer...

Room Tip: Make sure you are as far away from smoking rooms as you can. And forget about bringing your dog.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cherri K, General Manager at Homewood Suites Baton Rouge, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
I appreciate the review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service and were not informed of our pet policy. I have addressed these issues with our staff. I also apologize for the inconvenience you had to get put through due to Hurricane Isaac. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience a hopefully improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.

Been to Homewood Suites Baton Rouge? Share your experiences!