“A little below average” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Ohio
“A little below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I visited recently for an LSU football game.  My first visit to Baton Rouge. I found the hotel easily off the interstate. The exterior seemed fine and the interior had a cool New Orleans motif going on.  The front desk staff were super friendly.

My room was sizable, but a major disappointment.  The suite is big, but the bathroom is small compared to the rest of the rooms.  The bathroom and bedroom are in need of a major dust cleaning. The bathroom vents need major duct cleaning as there's so much dust build up that it looks as if the vents haven't been cleaned since the building opened.

I saw heavy dust build up on the bedroom furniture as well.  Once you wiped the dust off you'd find bedroom furnishings that were pretty badly best up. Lots of scuffs and gouges in the wood work.

On the second day of my visit, I was upset to find that housekeeping had shorted me two bath towels. It's aggravating having to call the front desk for more towels.

Outside my room I found an old beat up vacuum cleaner that sat in the hallway overnight.

My stay was marred by the dust. Sleeping in a room like that is killer for anyone with allergies, asthma or any other pulmonary condition. I doubt I'll return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
JovelleBR, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I was disappointed to hear the concerns you had in reference to our property. I assure you this information will be forwarded to the appropriate managers to better facilitate and accommodate our guests needs. We value your opinions and thank you for your concerns.
Despite the areas of improvement, we hope that you will afford us a second chance to make things right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here for just two nights and felt it was comfortable. Our room was clean and large enough, although the bathroom was very small. We didn't spend much time at the hotel itself, but did take advantage of the breakfast each morning. The made to order omelettes were a nice addition to the standard breakfast bar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks a million for considering the Embassy Suites Hotel, Baton Rouge. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our facilities and amenities. Our waterfall with the koi fish is a breathtaking scenery when you enter our hotel.
We hope to be your lodging destination in your future visits. Thanks again.
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

When entering the hotel, the sight is very beautiful: the lobby is old style southern, and the atrium is decorated to look like a New Orleans courtyard, with wrought iron railings/ balconies and a gazebo. What worked well in the common areas did not do so well in the rooms: very dark, old fashioned furniture plus a sink in the bedroom gave a dated feeling. Ok, the mold smell is pretty much ubiquitious in BTR, part of the LA charme. Cleaniness seemed ok until I looked at the outlet and switch in the bathroom which looked like a safety hazard and was crusted with old grime. Not a nice sight when brushing one's teeth... While the suite is decent sized, the bathroom is tiny, crowded even with only a single person, forget about being in there with another person. I guess that explains the sink in the bedroom... Breakfast is complementary and ok. The highlight is the freshly prepared omelettes. And when I stood there in front of the breakfast bar, eyeing the scrambled eggs, the cook hurried over and gave me delicious freshly made scrambled eggs. Very much appreciated. Staff is generally very nice, always greeting friendly.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I have reviewed your comments and have forwarded to the appropriate managers. We are working diligently to ratify the renovation requirements.
We are glad to hear that our staff displayed excellent customer service while you were here with us.
We hope you would visit us in the future, so we may display our efforts.
Thanks a million for choosing Embassy Suites Hotel and I hope you have a wonderful day.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in many Embassy Suites over the years and have always been impressed with the accommadations. We were very disappointed with the Baton Rouge location.
The Hotel info channel advertizes that the hotel is "recently refurbished". That is not what we found. The furniture was very old and worn. There were multiple scratches and dings. The mini kitchen builtins were in worse shape that the sleeping area.
The bathroom door was rotting and in need of some paint.
When we made the reservation we requested a room that was away from the Interstate so that it would be quieter. We got a room in the back of the hotel. During the night, we hear a banging noise that repeated every 15 - 20 minutes all night long.
Even the breakfast was disappointing.
I will never stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Just because a hotel is part of a chain, don't trust that they will all be of the same quality.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am sad to hear about the multiple inconveniences you experienced at our property. I have forwarded the information to the appropriate managers and I assure you, we are working diligently to identify and rectify departments to perfect our interior decor and make our facility more inviting.
I appreciate your feedback because it enables us to address specific areas for improvement. We hope that you reconsider staying with us again so that we can display our commitment to your comfort.
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My daughter had a deactivated key and tried the doors of 808 and 806 (in case she had the wrong room). She was headed to the front desk when, upon a guest complaint, the manager Maureen, met her at the elevator and escorted her downstairs. Where she refused to allow her access to her room as she felt that her behavior was a security risk. My 17 year old, gave all the room information, my information our hilton honors (gold status) information. However they forced her to stay in the lobby in her swim suit until I got back to the hotel from my meeting. When I questioned her not allowing my daughter to identify the room and get a key made and have her escorted so she could apply proof. The manager was extremely disrespectful to me and insisted that she had followed protocol. When I asked why they did not call me, she said that it was not her job. When I told her that I was going to file a complaint she stated that she "hoped I did". No matter how much I normally enjoy Embassy Suites. Maureen made our experience horrendous. Disrespecting a young guest and a Hilton Gold member! Customer service gets an UNACCEPTABLE from me!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
JovelleBR, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you felt in any way uncomfortable. This is not typical of our hotel and staff. Every guest is very important to us, so I have addressed there issues with our team. Our key policy is that if a guest has lost or misplaced their room key they need to provide a valid method of identification in order to obtain a copy of the key. However, we could have handled it in a better way. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience what Embassy Suites is known for: truly award-winning hospitality. Thank you once again for your comments.
Orange County, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I chose this hotel because I wanted a Hilton hotel near downtown Baton Rouge.It is located in a row of other hotels (Holiday Inn, Hyatt, etc., literally right next to each other) There is plenty of parking in a front lot. The rooms all face a center atrium area, so it is a square design inside. I arrived early after two flights and an hour plus drive from New Orleans and waited several minutes for the front desk clerk to acknowledge me (she was engaged in a personal conversation with two of the housekeeping staff - the bellman took the time to greet me when he noticed this, which was a good catch on his part I thought). I asked if I could check in as I needed to change clothes and attend a business meeting downtown. She advised there were no rooms ready. She was not particularly friendly, but did direct me to a restroom where I could change. Several hours later I returned and there was another employee there. She was wonderful. She was outgoing and friendly and would have given me a much different first impression. She checked me in quickly and told me about the happy hour and free breakfast in the morning. My room was spacious and clean. It had a sitting area and desk, a small kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator and coffee / tea maker, and a separate bedroom. My only complaints were that there was no shampoo (apparently they ran out) and one of the towels was pretty threadbare. The atrium was very nice with koi ponds (giant goldfish) and a small waterfall. Breakfast included an omelette bar (in addition to cold cereal, fruits, bacon, grits, breads, etc.), and the chef was very nice and made a pretty good omelette. The business center was very convenient - accessible by room key - with a printer available (which I needed and was very grateful for). There is a small fitness center with a couple of treadmills, a cycling machine and a full body cardio machine as well as some free weights. Small, but functional and nice with towels and water available. There is an indoor pool, as well. I could hear freeway traffic all night, so I would request a room on the back side of the hotel if it is available. The elevators (two banks of two on either side of the atrium) are pretty slow, so I used the stairs on several occasions - it's good exercise anyway! With the exception of the first front desk employee, the staff was all nice and helpful, and the guests were diverse - from other business travelers to families with small children. Based on convenience (it is literally less than a mile from a number of businesses (Albertsons grocery store, WalMart, Starbucks, Chik-fil-A, Taco Bell, Office Depot (I think), Walgreens, McDonalds, a gas station and the onramp to the 10 freeway), it is ideally situated. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side face the 10 freeway, separated only by an access road - you may want to requ...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Here is an account of our family's experience at the Baton Rouge Embassy Suites. Perhaps reading this will save you and your family from a similar fate.

When I called to book a room, I was told that there were no more rooms available at the government rate. However, when I looked online, the price quoted was a government rate. Not sure what happened there.

We booked the room online, checked in and went upstairs.  Well, we tried to anyway.  Two of the four elevators were broken, so we had to wait 5 minutes for an elevator to arrive.

When we made it to our room, we unloaded and put the kids to bed. When I went to move the desk chair out of the way, I saw that there was stuck-on something on the armrests. The fold-down couch had sheets but no blanket. So, my husband waited five more minutes for the elevator to return to our floor, and went to retrieve an additional blanket.

He returned and we were finally able to turn in. When we climbed into our bed, we felt something gritty. When we pulled down the covers, we saw hair (plural) and crumbs of food. When I called down to the front desk, I also saw that the phone was *filthy* with actual grime and hair stuck to the receiver and phone base. We were told that because there was only one person on staff, we needed to come and get a new set of sheets. (The night manager offered us a room change, but our children were already asleep so we could not.)

The night manager was very apologetic and eager to help make the situation right. She gave us a new set of sheets but there were no blankets in the housekeeping room.  My husband waited while she hunted around and called the security guard. She tried to help, but neither she nor the security guard had a master key to open other rooms to obtain additional blankets. So, we took what we had and stripped and remade the bed.

A few notes:

The bathrooms are *tiny*.  To illustrate, if you are sitting on the toilet, you will not be able to shut the door without hitting your knees. FYI, I am 5'2" tall. Also, the toilet made strange noises all night long. Water was dripping down the side of the tank as well. I assume the two issues were related.  The paint on the bathroom door is dingy looking and peeling and the handle to one of the armoire doors in our room was broken off.

There is a huge gap under the door which is a: very unsafe and b: very obnoxious, as you hear *every* noise that happens in the hotel.

Additionally, the walls must be very thin because we heard *everything* our neighbors did. I admire their stamina. I will leave it at that.

The hotel is located right off the highway. While the location is convenient for travelers, the lack of proper soundproofing results in guests hearing all of the highway noise.

Morning...

After waiting 5 minutes for an elevator, we went down for breakfast in the morning, the man at the gate scowled and told us, "You all better hurry up 'cause I'm closing this down in 1 1/2 minutes. "

The night manager had offered to comp us a meal in the restaurant, so I went to the front desk to ask about it. I explained to the woman there that the night manager offered to comp our family a meal at the restaurant when it opened at 10:00. She scowled at me and said that we hadn't been charged for anything. I told her that our room was comped. She began asking questions about what happened. I gave her a brief explanation and asked her again how we might go about having a meal. She yelled at me saying, "I told you you're not being charged for anything." I explained the situation once again.    She snarled, "Comping you a meal and *going* to comp you a meal are two different things. You need to be clearer." I apologized and told her that my family was hungry and asked again how we might have a meal. She gave me a $25 credit. I told her that we had a family of four. She said, "Well what exactly were you planning on eating?" I told her that I had never been there before, so I didn't know what they served or how much it cost. She replied that she needed to make a phone call and for me to go away, figure out what we were going to order, and come back later.

Thankfully, the people at the breakfast buffet served my husband and children eggs and pancakes while I was at the front desk.  After they had eaten, we packed up our things and attempted to leave.

As we walked down the hall to try and catch the elevator, a cleaning lady looked at us, grabbed her cart,  ran into the elevator and closed the doors in front of us. We waited ten minutes to get another elevator. After sprinting to the elevator on the opposite side of the hotel, we were thankfully able to leave.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Baton Rouge? Share your experiences!