“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 71 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Louisiana
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

I travel quite a bit around Louisiana for business and always stay at a Marriot property. i generally have a descent experience that encourages me to book with Marriot again. I will not be staying at this hotel again.

The room and hotel staff were fine, but my husband and I were put on a floor with a group of young people who were not here on business. Over the course of the night, we were awoken FOUR times by this group. The fifth time we were disturbed from sleep was due to the shower being used in the adjoining room. (Very loud water pipes). My question is why were business travelers, or even adult travelers, placed on the same floor with such a large group of teenagers?

For the first time I am disappointed in my stay with Marriot. I'm not a hard person to please, but basic customer service tells me that you don't set your customers up to have a bad experience. You do the opposite.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

I've been coming to Baton Rouge once a month and stay at the Baton Rouge Marriott. The rooms are nice and the bedding is very comfortable. The Concierge Lounge and it's staff are always friendly and accommidating. Workout room is small. Hallways needs upgrading.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

Normally, I don't get very disappointed by the big-name chains. I have stayed at other Marriotts and not been quite as disappointed with some items that hopefully are localized to that one hotel.

The Baton Rouge Marriott has a lot of good points: Within walking distance of at least 2 excellent restaurants; located right next to the freeway for easy access from the city and the airport; polite and courteous staff.

However, in spite of all the good points I could relate about this Marriott, I was taken aback by what I found in my room -- the courtesy water glasses were not clean by any stretch of the imagination! There were lip prints and leftover orange juice pulp on both glasses and one glass had a very nasty looking spot of something black on the rim. I then thought I would use the coffee mugs provided with the complimentary coffee service, only they were just as dirty. The thought of anyone using those glasses and mugs for drinking made me just a bit more than queasy.
Thinking I would be helpful, I left the paper cover off the glasses as a hint for the maid to replace the glasses the next morning. The only thing the maid did was replace the paper cover on the glasses.

Now, if the maid couldn't be troubled to replace the glasses, what else couldn't the maid be troubled to do (or clean) in that room??? That thought completely ruined an otherwise pleasant stay at this hotel.

One other issue that amplified this problem - no mini bar or overpriced bottled water in case I was thirsty in my room...

On the plus side: The restaurant in the hotel offers a decent breakfast and the wait staff of the restaurant are very pleasant and helpful. The same can be said for the bartenders staffing the bar next to the restaurant.

• Liked — Proximity to excellent restaurants, and easy access from the city and airport.
  • Disliked — Poor maid service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

Passing through Baton Rouge on a road trip with our dog, we decided to stay at the Marriott(formerly the Hilton). It's clean and pet friendly, and just off I10, so it's a convenient place to stay.

The hallways and rooms look like a typical Hilton-in need of a good scrubbing, but better than most roadside hotel/motels

For one night it's just fine.

• Stayed October 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
williamsburg, virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

Stayed here for one evening on business recently. The hotel has a beautiful lobby and I learned it was originally built as a Hilton Hotel (thus the reason for the location on Hilton Boulevard). My check-in experience was ok and the front desk clerk, although pleasant, was not trained well in terms of his customer service approach. As a gold Marriott member, I was not acknowledged and received a substandard room. When complaining to the manager, I was told that no other room was available (which is hard to believe given the size of the hotel). Normally, I would have been more persistent but I was only staying one night and was tired. Although the rooms have the new Marriott bedding, the furnishings are old, the bed is low to the ground and the mattresses are not the pillow-top type one expects with the new bedding package. The bathrooms have not been renovated and have the old white formica vanities probably leftover from the Hilton. The Club Lounge offerings were ok but the room is dark and dingy and the attendant quite unfriendly. The hallways and elevators are in great need of painting and touch-up. Full-service hotels are not plentiful in Baton Rouge, but if I came back, I would not stay in this hotel. The taxi driver on the way back to the airport suggested the Sheraton and another new hotel which is located downtown near the casinos.

• Liked — Lobby
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

The staff was simply OUTSTANDING!!! They great you upon your arrival - ensure you have all the hotel information so you can find your way around quickly and can get settled into your room.

While the hotel is in good shape - they seem to have a few meeting rooms being worked on currently and the 2nd floor that has several meeting rooms is limited in bathrooms.

The exercise room is filled with several newer pieces of equipement.

I would recommend this hotel - keep in mind that you have free internet access only in the hotel lobby - you can get it in your room for $10 a day. Room service was pretty good and arrived within 20 minutes.

Stayed May 2007
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

I travel nationally and internationally often and used to try to stay
at a Marriott when possible. I also coordinate events and have tried to use the Marriott when possible. No more...

The staff at this hotel was very nice. The hotel is a little aged, but it's not too bad. My problem was that the staff continued to operate an elevator that was stopping above the floor. There were 2 other elevators so they could have shut this one down or at least put a warning sign up. The no-customer service that I have had to deal with since my visit is the reason I tell anyone I know not to stay at any Marriott. The people who answer the phone are pleasant, but they can't do anything. The biggest thing that sets businesses apart these days is service and customer service. The Marriott doesn't seem to care about customer service anymore which means they don't value my business.

• Liked — Some nice people work there
  • Disliked — They send you to corporat for complaints and Marriott Corporate offers no customer service
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Baton Rouge Marriott? Share your experiences!