“Lovely, graceful hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 70 Hotels in Baton Rouge
West Columbia, Texas
“Lovely, graceful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The hotel staff is excellent! Only problem was with the people cleaning the room. Repeatedly they did not come until 3pm or later. We were having guests in and I had to find someone to clean. Apparently the hotel needs more cleaning staff. The overseer of the cleaning staff actually insulted me when I complained about the lateness. The restaurant food is ok but the banquet food is to be avoided. The lettuce had been out so long it was wilted and the ends turned brown. This happened at a group lunch and at a group dinner. The rest of the banquet food was marginal. A ribeye was served without a steak knife and the place knife was insufficient for the toughness. Parking is free and there is eacy access to the Interstate and local shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I traveled to Baton Rouge for two days of training so I really had no idea what to expect. The reviews online looked pretty good. I drove over 9 hours to get there and I was pleasantly surprised. I was greeted by a door guy who offered to get my bags for me, I only had one so I declined. I walked through the lobby to the front desk and everything was neat, clean and orderly. There were a few nicely dressed people milling around and come to find out there were several meetings in the hotel this week. Check in was very smooth and I met the bell-lady Tiffany. She was very professional and polite. She explained where everything was and gave me great directions. She is a definite asset to the hotel . After the smooth check in I went to my room on the 16th floor and I was again surprised. The room was very neat and clean. I had a view of the freeway but i wasn't planning on spending my time staring out the window. Everything worked out great and it was overall a pleasant stay. The front desk personel were very polite and kind. I love Louisiana because everyone I have met is very friendly. The only problem was the slow elevators. There are three and one was down so with all the people there, it made waiting a little miserable. There are 20 floors in the hotel and two operating elevators. Other than this, it was a great experience. If I every find myself in Baton Rouge again, I would stay here. Oh yeah, there is room service available and they leave the breakfast menu on your pillow after housekeeping cleans.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The manager at the front desk made my day!!

He was so generous to upgrade my room without having to ask. The room was larger and spacious. I had access to the concierge lounge and it had a good selection of food for breakfast and evening bites.

I also forgot my cell phone charger and so they were kind enough to let me use theirs.

The building isn't brand new, but it is nice with the large marble floor entranceway. Next time I'm in the area, I will go there again just for the customer service. They left me with a great impression.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The service, cleanliness, attentiveness, and comfort of this hotel was all five stars. Rarely do I ever enjoy such a great experience. The staff did so many little things to make me feel important. They even went and got my husband his favorite drink (not on the premises), Dr. Pepper. I would love to return to this hotel; I appreciated so many little great things they did.

Room Tip: I had a room with a great view.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Went here with a group. We had room doors left open by staff, maids went through belongings and arranged things(maybe in an effort to do be nice) but every other place weve ever stayed at you are not allowed to touch guests belongings. Air wasnt really working great kind of warm in room. You could hear everything your neighbor did. The phone, coughing, etc. Thin walls and noisy traffic as well. Stay away if you can.

• Stayed September 2012
Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

One expects better at a Marriott. The furniture in the rooms was decades old. The bed was uncomfortable. The room was almost bare. There was no way to keep drinks cold. The hotel made no attempt to compete with the others right around it....Just seemed to be content to be a Marriott. The staff was friendly and attempted to do their best but often seemed "aware" of the hotel's shortcomings.
Business is the only reason I will ever stay at this hotel. The meetings were here, but otherwise, I'll choose a hotel that actually lives up to its reputation.

Room Tip: One is as good as another. All are average.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

During my 3 day stay, the staff of the Baton Rouge Marriott went out of their way to make certain that I was more than satisfied with every aspect of their hotel. To be brutally honest, I was here at the worst of possible times, as Hurricane Isaac was moving through Louisana. Within hours of checking in, we lost power, ergo no air conditioning, TV, Cable, Internet, and lights. It was during this worst of all possible moments, I saw the best that this Marriott had to offer. With 91% occupancy and only 70% of their staff, the Baton Rouge Marriott somehow managed to distribute bottled water, lite-sticks, and were even able to grill up a basic hot meal for all of the guests. Granted, it wasn't cordon-bleu, but in the middle of a hurricane? It was awesome!
The thing that got me was, the long hours that ALL the staff (and managers!) put in. I saw the same faces at 4 am as they began the arduous effort of preparing breakfast (again without electricity) and again at lunch, and then dinner, and late night as they cleaned up after a hotel full of very tired, very warm, and sometimes very irritable guests.
If the Baton Rouge Marriott can provide that level of service in that type of horrible conditions, imagine how well they'll do in normal operation.

Actually, I had stayed here before back in February of 2012 and I was really pleased then as well. But this trip, Hurricane Isaac didn't blow me away, the staff at the Baton Rouge Marriott did!

I heartily recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Great view from the upper floors. But if there's a chance of a hurricane, the lower floors have...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Baton Rouge Marriott? Share your experiences!