“Good selection of Tex-Mex favorites” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #241 of 849 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: Mexican
Baton Rouge
“Good selection of Tex-Mex favorites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My family like this buffet. Lots to choose from so we can all find something we like. Chicken fajitas, bbq chicken, and black beans are my favorite. Good margaritas too.

Weatherford, Texas
“BR does not have great Mexican food, but this is the worst”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I was amazed that one person on TA rated El Magey's a 5 and they had average ratings of 4.0 and 4.5 on Urbanspoon and CityGuide. NO WAY. The only way they can have any rating above a 2 is if employees are family are writing the reviews. I grew up eating Mexican food in west Texas and enjoy the differences in Mexican food in Texas, the southwestern states, the rest of the U.S., Mexico, Europe, and Australia. But this is clearly the worst I have ever had. My wife, our adult children, and our friends laugh about going to El Magey. The people are nice and the restaurant interior is okay, but the food just doesn't cut it. I think they used decent ingredients, but the implementation is poor. I realize this is a buffet and I can't expect the same quality as a fresh prep restaurant. I also realize that food sitting on a buffet line loses quality. But their food is not even good when it is first placed on the buffet line. I read the ratings on the other web sites and several people were concerned about what they called high prices. I don't believe $12 is a high price for a buffet with quite a bit of meat on it IF THE FOOD IS GOOD. Unfortunately, it is not.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Louisiana
“Basic Mexican buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Buffet offers nice selection of dishes: chicken & beef enchaladas, fajitas, flautas, tacos, Spanish rice & refried beans. Also salad and dessert bars.
Excellent sweet or unsweet tea.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere