“Room was better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Breakfast & WiFi Included
Ranked #18 of 69 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Atlanta, Georgia
“Room was better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having read reviews here on Trip Advisor, I was prepared for a very small room - it was larger than most chain city hotel rooms, with two double beds, a largish sitting/walking around area and a comfortable bath. The bed was comfortable and the towels were luxe. We were a little disappointed (as a group of four women in two rooms) that we could not get adjoining rooms, or even rooms on the same floor. Neither of our rooms faced the river, either.

That being said, we got a good night's sleep. Before dinner, we met in the lobby bar, which was well decorated but seemed short on staff. We had to go to the bar several times to get refills on our drinks, and when the server came to our table, she seemed distracted and rushed. In her defense, there were a large wedding party and some conventioneers also vying for her attention.

The breakfast buffet was lovely and the service there was prompt and attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for river view. Two of us were in room 911, which was considerably larger than our 817 where our...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Shreveport, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The room accommodations and accruements were nothing fancy in the basic room my wife and I stayed in. The bed was comfortable, the TV worked, and shower ran luke warm and the cold-water from the sink ran hot, and the hot water ran very hot. The Valet lacked organization and often times despite calling 10-15 minutes a head of time, you would have to ask again when you got there for the car to be pulled around. One incident had us waiting 30 mins for our vehicle...granted it was at midnight we requested this.

Now for the good. The hotel is situated in an excellent part of Downtown Baton Rouge. Easy walking to many restaurants, local attractions, and bars. Close enough to the river that some of the suites have pretty great views. The food in the restaurant is standard fare with their full breakfast buffet complete with made to order omelet and waffle bar. The bar in the lobby was small, but active. The bartenders where efficient and very nice. I saw the pool and workout room and was impressed, even though I did not have an opportunity to use either of them.

Now for the Great. The people who work at this hotel really make it stand out from every other hotel chain in the area. Greeted at the front desk with a smile, a suit, and willingness to help at check in was very nice. They were very willing to accomodate our needs along with extra services we requested. Housekeeping was clean and efficient. The bellman was very personable and wanting to do all the heavy lifting. Two areas that stand out are the bar and the restaurant. Breakfast i was impressed at the above and beyond attitudes and service the short order cook and our waitress showed to us. They were very polite, and very willing to help make out experience comfortable. Same for the bartenders each night in the bar.

The location of this hotel and the people who work there would be what brought me back to stay another night. The other amenities are pretty much standard, nothing sub par, but the customer service you receive will stand out and separate this hotel from others.

Room Tip: Ask for a River View
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
On behalf of the management and staff we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. At the same time we are disappointed to learn of your mixed feelings, as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, which is our brand promise. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our hotel. Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.
terre haute, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Hilton Baton rouge Capitol Center is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location. It's within walking distance of teh great Louisiana Arts and Sceince Museum, the Shaw Cener, which houses teh LSU Art Museum as well as Gallleries, and many fabulous bars and eateries. The view of the river is spectacular. I stay at the Hilton when I'm in Baton Rouge and the staff is usually very friendly and helpful. During our last stay, we had issues with housekeeping; one day teh room wasn't made up at all and another day there were no towels, soaps, clean galsses, etc. But overall, it was a pleasant stay. The pillows are fabulous!

Room Tip: Request a riverview room, it's worth the extra 10-20 bucks!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Comfy bed, clean room, friendly staff and good service. I stayed here for a couple of nights while at the fabulous Louisiana State HR Conference. The fruit salad and the eggs benedict I had for breakfast were great :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This attractive hotel is decorated slightly differently to most Hiltons and was very clean and spacious. We had a fantastic view of the Mississippi. There are a number of bars and restaurants within walking distance. We also enjoyed drinks and appetisers in the hotel bar which were delicious. Staff very courteous. Would love to visit again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the Mississippi.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bossier City, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton in Baton Rouge several times, both for business and pleasure, most recently for a wedding. The staff was gracious and helpful. the rooms were very clean and had everything we needed. The gym was clean and had up to date machines. We had brunch Sunday morning and it was fabulous. The valet service was quick. I have not used the pool, but it was clean and pleasant to the eye. On one visit, I was moved to the concierge floor, and it was fantastic!

Room Tip: I always select a river view, beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel has a ton of Louisiana history, located on the Mississippi River in downtown BR. The renovations have maintained the historical aspect of the property while adding all necessary modern amenities. Yes the rooms are small as in most older hotels but the bathrooms are modern. Mine only had a stand up shower and not a tub. The room overlooked the river which was nice but occasionally a loud ship horn interrupts your work or sleep in the early morning. I only gave the hotel an average rating because of the lack of friendly service staff and lack of staff in general. When checking in, I was not offered any assistance with my luggage since I did not valet park a vehicle. Still no assistance when I struggled with my bags and clothes at check in. I checked in early but was not given a choice of rooms available nor was I told my room did not have a tub. The ice machine was broken on my floor and the pool was closed for renovations. Only two towels in the room so we had to hang up to dry for the morning shower after getting ready for dinner. The maid staff left some make up in our room from the previous guest which is always cause for concern on the cleaning procedures. The morning of checkout, I attempted to check my bags before having breakfast in the restaurant and still couldn't find any bell staff to take my bags. No carts were in site so, I left my clothes and bag on a lobby where. We went to have breakfast in the restaurant and waited for a hostess to seat us, eventually a waitress told us to sit anywhere so we took a table close to lobby so I could keep an eye on my bag. The waitress was clumsy with the menu and coffee pot and had trouble remembering our order. In general, there seems to be a lack of properly trained staff for for this property. With only 3 hotels in downtown Baton Rouge, I think I will try the Hotel Indigo next time or the Hampton when it opens later this year.

Room Tip: Make sure that you request a tub if you want one, many rooms have only a shower.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review. I am so sorry that you had a disappointing experience with our staff. I am extremely disappointed you found our staff members to be unprofessional and inattentive towards you. Our main goal is for every guest to feel cared for, valued and respected. I truly regret that our staff did not provide you with the level of customer service you deserve. I have personally spoken to our staff and guarantee this will not happen again. I can assure you that our guest satisfaction is very important to us and I will make sure that your comments be taken into consideration to improve our property. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us.

Been to Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center? Share your experiences!