“best sea food gumbo!!! and such a value :)” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #145 of 912 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Scottsdale, Arizona
“best sea food gumbo!!! and such a value :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

not being a local, i was a novice to what i understand is a local favorite...thus my slow-processing of the varied menu, as well as the extensive daily specials. our waitress was somewhat patient with all my questions and not because she was being rude but i think because 99.9% of the clientele knows what they want and can order in minute!

it took me a little longer but it was worth the questions...she (and my local companion) both suggested the sea food gumbo and it did not disappoint. as a vegetarian it was so nice to be able to have a gumbo without the sausage etc and it was soooooo delicious!!! i would go back to br just for that.

the shrimp remoulade salad was a bit less of a hit...shrimp were a bit chewy and the sauce not as tasty as i had had elsewhere a few nights before. but the lettuce was fresh and abundant. i also ordered a catfish and shrimp po boys to go and they were both yummy.

loved the atmosphere and the true b.r. vibe..i understand that on the weekends it is packed but on a monday it was delightfully open and airy and relaxed...try it. i also love the fact that it is a locally owned business and i always like to support the local small business owners...and you will love the value they give you as well!!!

• Visited November 2012

Baton Rouge
“Good food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and i ate at City Cafe for the first time on 9/11/12. The food was outstanding and the amosphere was good. I had "the cajun" and she had "the breaux bridge". The portions were of a good size and we each took home enough for lunch tomorrow. The one drawback was the customer service. Our waiter was extremely slow. We were going to order dessert, but by the time he came to check on us, we had been there too long and it was time to go.

• Visited September 2012
Missouri
“Good food, nice atomosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Catfish Po' boy was really good and the corn&crab bisque was AMAZING! Server was attentive without being a bother. My dining companions all liked their food as well. I will eat here again when I am in town.

• Visited September 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Horrible food and even worse customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

After sending back a disgusting salad which I tried to eat two shrimp out of, the manager had the nerve to insult me when I talked to him about the bill. He told me I must have just been trying to get a free meal!!!! Seriously, like I'm going to try to get a free $9.99 salad and still pay for my friend's $16.99 meal. I'm that desperate!!! Hardly, I could be starving to death and I'd never go back to this horrible little place with no respect for customers.

Visited October 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Great atmosphere, excellent wait staff, good sized portions, the seafood is seasoned perfect and the bread pudding is to die for!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere