“Very good food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
new orleans
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Located in a corporate hodgepodge area that is getting that worn look. And the owners should really pay attention to the rubbish around their front door area. And the dining room is better described as a sports bar/KC hall with worn wood four tops. That said. Everything on the menu is spot on. Sat next to 4 police officers at the next table...those guys are lodestones of great food. Poor boys are mile long. Fried oysters on Caesar salad was perfect. The French fries were hot and crispy. All pasta entrees were what some people crave...cheesy, meaty and creamy. Saw a really nice salmon on what looked like grits. Even the club sandwich was kosher enough witha bit of Louisiana thrown in. The guys I could see in the kitchen looked like pros. The waitstaff is the usual college help but I thought our waiter better than the one we had at Galatoire's last month. This is a great place to dress down and chow well.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mandeville, Louisiana
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I posted a review for this restaurant some time ago, giving it an excellent rating based upon two visits. Sadly, a recent visit has prompted me to post a second review because of the less-than-perfect experience.
First, I will say that our server was excellent. He was very attentive and friendly, and took very good care of us.
Unfortunately, I was disappointed with my meal. My wife ordered her usual fish tacos, and was very happy with them. As much as I like their fish tacos, I opted for a fried oyster po-boy because I find the portion size of the tacos to be too small when I'm hungry. The po-boy was a huge disappointment. There weren't enough oysters to even provide for having oyster in each bite of the sandwich, and the bread was soft and spongy...sort of like sliced, white bread shaped into a french bread loaf. For fourteen dollars, this was an abysmally bad po-boy. (By the way, that $14 was for an a-la-carte po-boy; no fries or chips included.)
I was not especially happy with the atmosphere, either, as two of the waitstaff were vacuuming the floors while there were several tables of diners trying to enjoy their meals. The hostess, as well, left much to be desired; she exhibited no personality whatsoever, and didn't even look up from texting on her phone to wish us a good evening as we left.
I hate to say it, but I'm no longer a fan of this place.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denham Springs, Louisiana
“Fantastic Crab Cakes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Best crab cakes I've had in Baton Rouge. They have a homemade hollandaise, the lumps of crab meat just fall out of the cakes when you cut them. Not too much filling.
They also have an awesome crawfish salad. Loaded with crawfish tails.
I highly recommend this place. There is a lovely patio area with a bar and TVS.
Check it out. You'll be glad you did

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
baton rouge, la
“GREAT BURGER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I ordered the smoked bacon and swiss burger. It was amazing! Moist not greasy. Good bacon not cheap. The french fries were shoe string which was fine. My wife ordered the grilled fish tacos. She stated that they would have been great if they were warm. The tortillas were somewhat cold and the fish was room temperature. Still, all in all, I would go back to eat the burgers.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Capital Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Capital City Grill is still one of the best kept secrets for good food in this old college town. I moved away from here a long time ago but come back 2 or 3 times a year to visit friends and family. I always try to patronage one of my old eateries when I return. This is the first time I have been to CCG in 5 1/2 years. It is still consistently good from the appetizers to the blackened Mahi, fish tacos or burgers. The portions are generous and always come out hot an tasty. They have some healthy options on the menu which is very difficult to find in south Louisiana. Attentive service is always a trade mark at this eating establishment. Friendly staff and great food make this one of my favorites.

• Visited July 2013