“Food was ok. I've had better.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 927 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Food was ok. I've had better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We were not impressed. The corn and crab bisque was ok, as was the pasta dish. For the prices, I expected better flavor. My mom didn't care for the oyster po-boy.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Georgia
“Excellent Cajun Specialties and seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Asked at our hotel to recommend a nice local restaurant with regional specialties. They immediately recommended Parrain's, which was less than a mile away. We arrived fairly early--about 4:30 pm. Restaurant was deceptively large, but broken up into a number of different dining areas with a mix of tables and booths, with an intimate atmosphere. Wife ordered the "Delacrois"--fresh mahi filet topped with shrimp in a mustard cream sauce with garlic mashed potatoes. Salad or cole slaw included. I ordered the "Pontchartrain"--fresh fillet of fish with crabmeat and caper hollaindaise, also served with garlic mashed potatoes. Service was friendly and quick. Meal was delicious and topped off with a desert of chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. Was so impressed, we ate there again 4 nights later while passing through Baton Rouge on the way home. This time had an appetizer of Boudin Balls, a cajun specialty of dirty rice formed into balls and deep fat fried like a hush puppy. I had the 1/2 etouffe and 1/2 fried crawfish tails, while my wife had the half and half seafood platter. Both entrees less than $15 each. Both delicious. I would highly recommend to anyone stopping over in Baton Rouge.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Decatur, Georgia
“Oyster Tuesday---Briney, cold, firm, and 1/2 price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

After a really bad PoBoy experience at George's, I needed some food. I was headed to I-10 and saw the sign at Parrain's that oysters were 1/2 price. I pulled in and went to the bar. I ordered a dozen raw oysters and a beer. After I ate one oyster, I ordered a second dozen. The oyster's were firm and cold and as my daughter is fond of saying, "tasted like the ocean." The salt water/ liquor ran onto the tray as the oysters were placed. The oysters were very fresh and were wonderful. I was supplied with a basket of crackers, several cups of cocktail sauce, lemon wedges, and horseradish. They could not have been better, except if I'd had time for another dozen. A couple of the oysters were clusters and the bartender opened those as freebies. Great service and food. Several customers were getting the char grilled oysters and they looked great. I saw several batches cooked from my vantage spot at the bar.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Scrumptious seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Started the meal with Boudin Balls accompanied with a mustard-horseradish sauce. To die for! The cole slaw with peanuts was a nice surprise. I had the Half-and-Half, thin filet catfish and fried oysters, accompanied by hush puppies and fries. OH-MY-GOD that was all so good! Very crowded, about a 15 minute wait to get seated. The staff was attentive. Your cardiologist would frown on the fried food aspect, but it's all good!

On the Road!
“A Busy Place and Good Food TOO!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had lunch this week and obviously this place was catering to many an office party. I had the deep fried cornish hen over dirty rice. Took a while to cook which is understandable. Rice dressing was better than the bird as they failed to inject, brine or season the bird but it was fried quite well. Overall pretty good!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere