“Amazing.....” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Amazing.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate seafood in several restaurants in New Orleans over the weekend and they were good but WOW, this place was amazing!!! The service was excellent, the food was very good and at a reasonable price! We had stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer, my wife had fried shrimp and I had the seafood platter! It was all outstanding and generous portions! If I'm ever back in Baton Rouge I will eat there again!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“As always, a must stop in Baton Rouge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Chimes on an off night but fortunately, this was not one of them.

I was seated promptly and the server was friendly and attentive. If you're in a beer mood, they have a great selection.

I enjoyed the New Orleans BBQ shrimp po boy. While it was not actually "BBQ shrimp" like you'd find in other dishes, it was a great approximation that was great on the po boy. The French bread had a great crunch but also the right texture inside. You couldn't get any better. The fries were fresh and a good part of a great meal.

I will definitely be back and am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago
“Maybe an off night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went to Chimes next to LSU after strong recommendations from locals. It was busy and pleasantly noisy. As a rule I have never eaten a bad meal in Louisiana but this was the first for my son and me. The raw oysters were not quite right and both of our entrees were hard to finish. Mine was a spicy shrimp poboy that was messy pile of soggy French bread, drenched iceberg lettuce and tasteless fried shrimp covered with chewy cold mozzarella. My son had fettuccine with grilled shrimp, also tasteless and gummy. It was difficult to answer our friends when they asked how we liked it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Still the best casual place to eat in Baton Rouge!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I worked as a waitress there 25 years ago. I thought the food was great then & i was happy to find the same great shrimp & corn soup, poboys hushpuppies & dijon horseradish sauce there still!! The new location is really big but still has the same old chimes character. The old location still has hard working college kids giving great service & better food than you'd expect at a campus grill.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Best Gumbo in Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Always enjoy visiting this restaurant for lunch, I find it to be an interesting place with very friendly staff. You can't go wrong with anything you order and the gumbo is the best around. The selection of beer is simply amazing with something for almost every country represented.

• Visited April 2013