“I won't stay there again nor will I recommend this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

The Cook Hotel and Conference Center at LSU
3848 W. Lakeshore Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70808   |
Ranked #25 of 69 hotels in Baton Rouge
Monroe, Louisiana
“I won't stay there again nor will I recommend this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

When I checked in, the young woman gave me no directions to give me an idea of where my room was located. Then there was no one to help me with my luggage. After struggling to bring in all my luggage alone, I lugged it all past the front desk and down a hall to an elevator that didn't work. Then I had to drag everything back down the hall and past the front desk again to get to another elevator that, thankfully, did work. Even through all this, no one from the hotel bothered to speak to me or offered any assistance at all. Then once I finally made it to my room, I discovered the air conditioning was not turned on and the room was stuffy to say the least. Now I had a reservation so they should have known I was coming and had the air conditioning running when I arrived. Then on my second morning there was no hot water. I turned the faucet all the way to the hottest setting and it was only lukewarm. I had to take a tepid shower. The third and last morning I was there, the very same thing happened again! This, IMO, is a major problem. I complained to the front desk about the hot water problem but as far as I'm aware nothing was done. They certainly didn't see fit to make any kind of adjustment in my bill! I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. It looks nice but the awful service and lukewarm showers ruined it.

• Liked — It is fairly convenient to the Dept. of Education offices.
  • Disliked — The lack of hot water in the mornings!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

Since I'm always doing research at various university libraries, I'm always looking for a hotel situated close to campus. The Cook Conference Center was perfect in this regard-a comfortable walk (even carrying a laptop in a backpack) to the Special Collections Library at LSU.

The facility was also very nice and clean, with efficient and friendly staff. I had heard they only served breakfast, but was suprised to find they also offered lunch during my stay. Hopefully they will offer dinner soon, since it would have been nice to relax with a hot meal after a day spent in archives. Even local delivery from neighboring restaurants would be nice.

I also had a great experience with the shuttle service I used from the Baton Rouge airport. Wow-talk about southern hospitality! Right on time, friendly tips about the area...I just wish I could remember the name of the service! :)

• Liked — Proximity to LSU libraries
  • Disliked — Lack of dinner service
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

Baton Rouge is not a great hotel town. Mostly, your options are chain hotels along bleak stretches of highways or access roads. The Cook Center is an exception since its on the campus of Louisiana State University. Its a little hard to find but its near a very pretty lake and there are lots of opportunities for pleasant strolls around the campus near the hotel. On the other hand, the hotel only serves breakfast so you need to drive elsewhere for most of your meals and there are no nearby shopping opportunities unless you want L.S.U. momentoes. The rooms and public spaces are pleasant, clean and well maintained. The staff is polite and very friendly. The physical plant is nothing special, perhaps a notch above most of the chain hotels in the area. The hotel really isn't ideal for the business traveller since it dosent offer dry cleaning or laundry service and there is no room service or even any special arrangements for deliveries from local restaurants.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2005

Loved the interior design of hotel. Comfortable suits. Great service.

• Stayed July 2005
austin, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

Stayed here on the July 4th holiday...very pleasant surprise.

Rooms: We were in a one room suite - similar in layout to an embassy suites room. Slightly larger than I expected. Very well kept & appointed, had a new, almost elegant feel. Lots of LSU memorabilia. Good kitchen & fridge.

Hotel: Five story hotel, again - clean, new, very well managed. Breakfast buffet was good - nice dining room and large TVs. Shaquille O'Neal pool was a little small - not sure Shaq himself could stretch out in it.

Location: Right in the middle of the LSU campus, which is just a couple of miles south of downtown. Nice quiet location, at least in the summer. Would be the ideal place to stay during football season. Only potential drawback is that you'll need a car - no restaurants or bars in the hotel or the vicinity (except for breakfast).

Overall - excellent alternative to large chain hotels. Highly recommended-

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

Incredible! I had no idea this place existed. It's tucked away on the beautiful campus of LSU and it's magnificent. It's refreshing to get away from the corporate feel of most run-of-the-mill hotels. I will be back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2004

What a find! The hotel and staff were incredible.

The complimentary breakfast was much more than I expected...homemade waffles, eggs, ham...what more can you ask for. I also enjoyed lunch there on a couple of days (the chicken marsala is fantastic).

I am so glad that the hotel (located on the campus of LSU) is open to the public. Now, when I visit my daughter, I will ALWAYS stay there.

Been to The Cook Hotel and Conference Center at LSU? Share your experiences!