“5 stars for your Baton Rouge stay” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Baton Rouge
“5 stars for your Baton Rouge stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Baton Rouge has needed a nice full-service Marriott/Hilton and they received that and more with the Renaissance Baton Rouge (Marriott). I've stayed here several times and it's always a reliable, and arguably elegant stay. The food is fantastic for a hotel; the location is right near two great shopping malls (one indoor and one outdoor). It has the typical Renaissance Aveda products and their club lounge actually serves pretty decent food and good LA Community Coffee. It's 100% my go-to stay when I'm in Baton Rouge (there 3-5 times per year) and it doesn't matter what part of town my stay brings me - I'm always trying to get a room at this property. And for the price, you can't beat this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We are so glad your have found the addition of our beautiful hotel exactly what the doctor ordered for Baton Rouge and we are so very glad that your experience here is to your liking. Thank you very much for the kind review and your detail! We welcome you on your return visit and hope it is sooner rather than later!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed in many hotels in Louisiana - this was best. Newly remodeled so rooms were very sharp, Clean and beds were fantastic

Could have saved 20 bucks staying at Hampton or other chain in way home. So glad we didn't - may plan a trip to Baton Rouge now knowing there is a good (great) place to stay

• Stayed December 2012
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of our beautiful hotel! The "best" in Louisiana is what we strive for and try to achieve daily and we very much appreciate your opinion! We are looking forward to your next stay just as much as you are. Have a great holiday season!

Western part
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The view from the 10th floor was nice. The bed was very comfortable. The Aveda toiletries are a nice touch.

I've stayed hundreds of hotel stays in the past few years, and there are fewer than 10 instances of dirty rooms. No instances at Marriott properties at all until this one.....the first room was not properly cleaned on the counters and hair in the bathroom sink. We were then upgraded and this room was generally fine, but it was evident that counters/tables/desks/etc. were not properly cleaned here either. You'd think they'd make a point of cleaning the counters even when we were there, but they didn't. The next morning, two people came in to check the housekeeping. They didn't notice that the desk was not wiped and also didn't notice that the in room coffee/tea/cups was not replenished. I wonder what they did check.

The lounge staff was nice. However, it is the poorest run lounge I've seen in a long time. It was somewhat amusing to see people come in and wait for the plates that did not come. Yes, that's right, they had food and no plates, they had run out. None came for as long as I watched. Eventually, people were taking coffee cups and filling them with food! This happened more than once.

At breakfast, they had fairly rare bacon one day, well done bacon the next. No variety or consistency there. The only condiment was tobasco sauce. I was brought ketchup on request one day, but it was too late. A couple of days later, the young lady thoughtfully brought ketchup, which was nice, but why isn't this a normal condiment? The answer was given was that they ran out. Apparently it takes days to replenish ketchup in that hotel.
It was interesting to go in the lounge, see the no water in the refrigerator...have the hostess say it had been emptied and that was why...but they don't replenish it, just giving the same excuse.
The ATM was down for days.
The water fountain in the lobby sprays water onto the carpet.

We ordered room service breakfast. The main part of the meal was nice, but the potatoes were STONE COLD. $40 for two breakfasts, you'd think they'd make sure to put hot food on the plate.

Oh, the 'platinum gift" that was to be brought immediately was attempted to be delivered over 5 hours past check in. The excuse given was that we had changed rooms. I guess it takes over 5 hours to figure out when you have moved someone across the hall.

This is a nice hotel. It has good potential. However, from what I can see, it is very poorly managed. This was my first trip to a Renaissance property. They say there are supposed to be a step up from the normal Marriott hotels. Based upon this experience, I would certainly disagree.

I didn't bring up most of these things to the hotel because it is clear that they do not like it when you bring up things like dirty rooms. It wasn't my fault there was hair on the sink and grit on the counters. The rate for this hotel was higher than the ones I usually stay in. It certainly was not worth it from what I could see.

Oh, finally, my reservation was not in order when I arrived....and it was supposed to be. I know who I talked to on the phone. There are a lot of little things to be fixed up at this hotel.

My recommendation stay at this hotel if you wish. It is a nice property. But hold them to the standard to which they advertise. They need to learn more about running the hotel. There is more to being a Marriott property than just putting a sign up.

One more thing...the maids own this hotel in the daytime, not the guests. You will hear noises a little after 6 AM or 7 AM and then they will be yelling at each other when they are at opposite ends of the hall. Although I was awake, they seemingly have no idea that a hotel sells sleep. I was working on my computer and it was certainly disruptive to hear the banter.

Normally I don't like to bring up so many things, but the attitude of the woman at the front desk, who seemed offended that I found the hotel was not perfect, was not pleasing.

I do have pictures.

This list is lengthy. This is because I believe that tripadvisor should have truthful reviews. If you want to see how my experience was, this is it. Just about all of these things were not brought up to the hotel. I paid the full amount of the reservation. I paid for the room service breakfast.

I see the inside of a lot of hotels, and this is my review, in my words. Take it at face value. I've stayed in a lot of hotels. Most of the times, there are no problems. I know what I'm talking about. I waited awhile before I wrote this review.

That said, the trip to Baton Rouge was very nice.

Room Tip: Seriously, I don't know. I was only in two rooms. They were both nice. The view is good to th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
I would like to personally apologize for the experience you encountered. We do try to ensure all our rooms are clean and presentable prior to arrival along with making sure our rewards members are taken care of in our club lounge. We will continue to follow up with our staff regarding all the issues you brought forward. I appreciate your honestly and hope that you feel you can talk to us further about the stay. I have provided my contact information below.

We welcome you back to the hotel and hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you we can provide you an exceptional stay. Again, my personal apologies.

hm@renaissancebatonrouge.com
Natchez, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

This hotel just turned one year old. It's a beautiful property in a great location. Our room on the tenth floor had a wonderful and restful view. The Aveda products in the bathroom were a nice touch of class. All of the employees were friendly with smiles on their faces. Close to the Mall of Louisiana and plenty of good restaurants.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and writing this wonderful review! We are glad you noticed the smiles, as this seems to be one of the small building blocks that we try to focus on daily. We hope we see you back at the Renaissance Baton Rouge very soon!

Lafayette, la
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed overnight for company Christmas Party. From the minute I stepped out of my car (door was opened by the doorman) to the minute we left, it was perfect. Easy parking, great unloading area, option to free park instead of being forced to pay valet. Check in was simple as was check out. The hotel is gorgeous! CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!!! Everyone was very nice, always had a smile. Our room was beautiful, bed was comfortable, again very clean. That is top priority for me personally. The shower was huge! Aveda products is a great perk :) We did not visit the restaurant, bar or pool. Did not have time, however we will be booking a weekend trip to bring our children. The location is perfect.

Room Tip: no mini fridge, may have to request it. We didn't need for just one night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so very happy you found everything clean and more importantly that your expectations were met! We also hope that your Christmas Party was a blast and that you danced the night away knowing your room was awaiting you! Thank you for staying with us and we can not wait to see the kids for your weekend stay! Be sure to let us know if you need anything prior to your arrival. Have a happy holiday season!

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance the first weekend in December, 2012. Originally built to become a dormitory for students at Jimmy Swaggart Ministries, which is located across the street. An elegant step up from the nearby Drury, Fairfield Inn, etc hotels. You pay a bit more, but still quite reasonable. We paid $118 ($136 with taxes), for Sat & Sun nights, via Room 77, after a TripAdvisor search. Required a 1 night non-refundable deposit, billed immediately to your credit card. Eclectic furnishings in the common areas and the rooms .. was that faux lizard skin wall covering in the bathroom? Or is it real lizard skin? Front desk/check in stations are antique looking dressers, encased in Lucite boxes. As I said, eclectic, but it works. Comfortable beds, high quality sheets, the thermostat was very responsive to achieving the temperature we wanted. Flat panel TV, with all the basic channels, plus HBO. Wireless Internet connectivity was $9.95 a day (we did not use it). Location is convenient to lots of "stuff". 1 block north on Bluebonnet is the Mall of Louisiana (Dillards, Macy's, Sears, dozens of name brand chain stores, food court, etc, plus surrounded by the consumer category killers - DSW, Best Buy, Dick's ). A few blocks south is Perkins Rowe, an outdoor main-street style shopping center, anchored by Barnes Noble. Easy access to I-10.

Room Tip: Since the hotel is several blocks south of I-10, highway noise was a non-factor. Our room overlooked...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
What a wonderfully detailed review! Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and we hope you come back to the hotel soon! You are correct when you say that the shopping is conveniently close and during the holiday season nothing is better than coming back to rest in the hotel with your bags piled around you. Again, we hope to see you again soon and thank you.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I only stayed here one night. So I didn't have a chance to experience all the amenities (restaurant etc). The room was clean. Checking out was easy. The only issue that arose when I checked in was the fact that wifi was not going to be included. I had been told when I made the reservation that I would have free wifi. Anyway, it became a non issue because Joel spoke with the manager who honored what had previously been promised. If you stay here wifi is $9.95 a day, just FYI. Overall good experience . Would definitely stay here again. It has a great location and is very close to the mall and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We are so very glad you came to experience the hotel and hope that next time you stay you have a moment to enjoy our amenities here. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we hope you stay with us again soon!

Hotel Manager

Been to Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel? Share your experiences!