“Nice Service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Winchester
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Nice Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel is not the greatest, but most of that is because they're going through a renovation but the staff is extremely nice. The Front Desk Manager- Derek went above and beyond and ensured that I had enjoyed my weekend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Donetheworld,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you found our hotel staff helpful and accommodating. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience that you may have experienced due to ongoing renovations. These changes are also for us to give you the best hotel experience in the future.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and hope we have the pleasure to hosting you again.

Kind regards,

Faith R
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This pretty much describes my impression of this hotel! The room smelled like cigars and there were bugs everywhere. The owner obviously isn't concerned with her customer's opinion of her hotel. It's easier to ignore the bills for services to run the hotel properly than to pay them. Why spend money on bills, right Sue? Make the money while you can.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear tom l,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am very sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Nice people, good breakfast. One scary thing to notice, mattresses that are either covered in plastic or have a vynal covered mattress pad. This one had the pad. Vynal doesn't breathe. I understand why hotels do this but I choose to avoid these places. Another curious red flag, the hot water was turned off in the bathroom sink...no doubt to save money. Again I will avoid. Not. a good sign.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear TimEbert,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your compliments about our hotel staff and breakfast option. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I am sorry to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the quality of our mattresses. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P
Winchester, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Do not work for this company or stay at this hotel. They do not pay their bills. Sue the owner is cheap and does not pay for services that she has requested to be done. Find a different hotel. If they are too cheap to pay their bills, then they are too cheap to take care of their customers. Good luck getting what you want out of this hotel, we have not been able to!!!

Room Tip: don't get one
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear asa h,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay with. I am deeply sorry you received services that was less than satisfactory. We are hospitality professionals and pride ourselves on delivering world class service. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Zelyn N
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Unfortunate to write a bad review but hopefully this will save a family from booking here.

Now, let me start with the desk staff, they were fine and friendly, not the greatest hotel check in experience, but it's not less (or more) than I would have expected for a Holiday Inn Express. The best part of the stay was the kind lady tending breakfast. Not knowing what time breakfast was over, I went downstairs right when she started putting things away, and she promptly brought everything back out and made sure I had everything I was looking for. That was awesome, and is the only thing that kept this review from a terrible rating.

So right from the parking lot you can tell the hotel is tired, looks all original outside and the inside agrees. Furnishings, carpet, wall paper, elevator, are all worn looking, some torn, grout crumbled. It was all clean but just old.

As I walk into the room I was greeted with a slight odor of funk, a blinking clock and two pillows without pillow cases on one of the beds. Old stains on the wall paper and again worn and old furnishings. The beds were great, I slept well and the room, like the lobby, was clean, just worn and tired. The bathroom matched the rest of my experience, clean but old. Toilet paper holders were rusted, and I mean enough to take a picture so my friends didn't think I was just being picky. I would never leave toilet paper holders in my place that looked like that. Toilet plumbing fixtures were very rusty, shower head was definitely past it's service life, but the bathroom was clean. The ironing board was unusable. The bracket that holds the iron is bolted right to the wide end of the board making it impossible to iron on except for the tapered part of the board, but wait, the pad was so puffy and wrinkled that the rest of the usable real estate on the board was also unusable.

So I went to go for a jog on the treadmill in the fitness room which is right next to the pool. The fitness room smelled like pool and was warm and steamy. The treadmill didn't disappoint my original impression of the hotel, it was in shambles but I stepped up on it to give it a try anyway. Of course it didn't work, and of course there wasn't a notice of anything being out of order. I would have just gone for a jog outside but the hotel is pretty much surrounded by gas station, highway, and major road. So I went for a pedal on the exercise bike which, other than the smelly steamy room, went fine. I was so sweaty and smelly from the sauna-like fitness room after my bike ride I was real excited for a cup of water from the water cooler that was in the corner. Guess what? Yup, bone dry. I mentioned it to the desk and figured I'd try again before checking out just to hopefully be surprised. Fast forward thee hours, on the way to check out, stopped at the fitness room and yup, still just as empty as when I was in there three hours prior.

Now backup if you will, asked the desk for a late checkout while at breakfast and was told that 12:30 would be fine, room number written down and I left happily to my room. At high noon, knock knock knock housekeeping...key card sliding into and out of lock , housekeeping... So I answer the door and and without a hello was greeted with "you checking out today or staying another night?" So I explained I have a late checkout of 12:30. But that was not one of the options that she presented me so it was either I'm checking out right now, or staying another night. After about 3 exchanges I convinced her that I was in fact checking out that day, but that it wasn't going to be for another half hour. Now I know what some of you may be thinking, "why didn't you just have the do not disturb sign on your door?". Well I did have it displayed in my door and was met at 12:00 with cards sliding into my door lock and housekeeping demanding an explanation of my stay half an hour before my agreed upon late checkout time.

I don't normally stay at the Holiday Inn hotels but have before, and have never left with an impression of this. I know this isn't typical of Holiday Inns, even the Express line of them. I would be embarrassed if I had chosen this hotel while on a road trip with my family. This was a business trip and I still think I was overcharged for the night, even at whatever type of corporate rate I was given. Lexington is only 20 miles away, I would definitely make my next stay someplace downtown that I'm sure wouldn't disappoint as much as this Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear x96connelly,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the compliment regarding our desk staff friendly and great beds. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night while on a big motorcycle ride with my husband. Very clean, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. The breakfast was good. I would recommend this hotel. I wish Holiday Inn would become a "biker friendly" chain like Best Western chain. Biker friendly means they offer towels and areas to clean up your bike. Other than that, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This holiday inn is really the worst I have ever been, dirty, old, even the sheets where blurred.
The internet connection is bad, this is really a place to avoid. The only good thing is that the guys at the front desk are very kind

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Canned_heatit,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, KY. We are sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking.

All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. We are pleased that our staff was able to off set this displeasure with great service.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Winchester? Share your experiences!