“Really pretty bad” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5250 Revillo Rd, I64 Exit 94, Winchester, KY 40391   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Winchester
“Really pretty bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Unfortunate to write a bad review but hopefully this will save a family from booking here.

Now, let me start with the desk staff, they were fine and friendly, not the greatest hotel check in experience, but it's not less (or more) than I would have expected for a Holiday Inn Express. The best part of the stay was the kind lady tending breakfast. Not knowing what time breakfast was over, I went downstairs right when she started putting things away, and she promptly brought everything back out and made sure I had everything I was looking for. That was awesome, and is the only thing that kept this review from a terrible rating.

So right from the parking lot you can tell the hotel is tired, looks all original outside and the inside agrees. Furnishings, carpet, wall paper, elevator, are all worn looking, some torn, grout crumbled. It was all clean but just old.

As I walk into the room I was greeted with a slight odor of funk, a blinking clock and two pillows without pillow cases on one of the beds. Old stains on the wall paper and again worn and old furnishings. The beds were great, I slept well and the room, like the lobby, was clean, just worn and tired. The bathroom matched the rest of my experience, clean but old. Toilet paper holders were rusted, and I mean enough to take a picture so my friends didn't think I was just being picky. I would never leave toilet paper holders in my place that looked like that. Toilet plumbing fixtures were very rusty, shower head was definitely past it's service life, but the bathroom was clean. The ironing board was unusable. The bracket that holds the iron is bolted right to the wide end of the board making it impossible to iron on except for the tapered part of the board, but wait, the pad was so puffy and wrinkled that the rest of the usable real estate on the board was also unusable.

So I went to go for a jog on the treadmill in the fitness room which is right next to the pool. The fitness room smelled like pool and was warm and steamy. The treadmill didn't disappoint my original impression of the hotel, it was in shambles but I stepped up on it to give it a try anyway. Of course it didn't work, and of course there wasn't a notice of anything being out of order. I would have just gone for a jog outside but the hotel is pretty much surrounded by gas station, highway, and major road. So I went for a pedal on the exercise bike which, other than the smelly steamy room, went fine. I was so sweaty and smelly from the sauna-like fitness room after my bike ride I was real excited for a cup of water from the water cooler that was in the corner. Guess what? Yup, bone dry. I mentioned it to the desk and figured I'd try again before checking out just to hopefully be surprised. Fast forward thee hours, on the way to check out, stopped at the fitness room and yup, still just as empty as when I was in there three hours prior.

Now backup if you will, asked the desk for a late checkout while at breakfast and was told that 12:30 would be fine, room number written down and I left happily to my room. At high noon, knock knock knock housekeeping...key card sliding into and out of lock , housekeeping... So I answer the door and and without a hello was greeted with "you checking out today or staying another night?" So I explained I have a late checkout of 12:30. But that was not one of the options that she presented me so it was either I'm checking out right now, or staying another night. After about 3 exchanges I convinced her that I was in fact checking out that day, but that it wasn't going to be for another half hour. Now I know what some of you may be thinking, "why didn't you just have the do not disturb sign on your door?". Well I did have it displayed in my door and was met at 12:00 with cards sliding into my door lock and housekeeping demanding an explanation of my stay half an hour before my agreed upon late checkout time.

I don't normally stay at the Holiday Inn hotels but have before, and have never left with an impression of this. I know this isn't typical of Holiday Inns, even the Express line of them. I would be embarrassed if I had chosen this hotel while on a road trip with my family. This was a business trip and I still think I was overcharged for the night, even at whatever type of corporate rate I was given. Lexington is only 20 miles away, I would definitely make my next stay someplace downtown that I'm sure wouldn't disappoint as much as this Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear x96connelly,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the compliment regarding our desk staff friendly and great beds. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night while on a big motorcycle ride with my husband. Very clean, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. The breakfast was good. I would recommend this hotel. I wish Holiday Inn would become a "biker friendly" chain like Best Western chain. Biker friendly means they offer towels and areas to clean up your bike. Other than that, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This holiday inn is really the worst I have ever been, dirty, old, even the sheets where blurred.
The internet connection is bad, this is really a place to avoid. The only good thing is that the guys at the front desk are very kind

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Canned_heatit,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, KY. We are sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking.

All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. We are pleased that our staff was able to off set this displeasure with great service.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We usually try to stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels due to their consistency. The front desk clerk was very nice when we checked in, but had what I think was her boyfriend hanging out in the lobby with her.

This was a one night stopover during a family road trip vacation. The hotel is old and dirty and needs a serious cleaning. The whole place reeks of cigarette smoke. I felt very fortunate to have brought some spray anywhere bleach. The hotel is close to the interstate, which was the best thing about it. However, it's between a busy gas station and another even more run down hotel. A lot of sketchy looking people were in the parking lot. Traveling with my mother and two younger brothers, I did not feel safe going to and from my car.

There's a much nicer looking HIE in Richmond just a few miles up the road I wished we would have stayed in.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear GoWithNaney,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel will certainly be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A
South Barrington, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I love the HIE brand and try to stay with them as often as I can. We were very tired from a long day of travelling from Myrtle Beach to Chicago and decided to stay at this HIE.
1st the positives- The Staff is amazing. Whitney checked us in and gave us water and a bag of treats for each member of our family for being Priority club members. The staff at breakfast and check out was also very nice.
Negatives- the hotel smelled funny like they sprayed a lot of air freshener trying to cover things up. The hotel needs a lot of TLC. We had rust in our tub (room 205) and our room again smelled funny but different from the lobby. The beds were clean but my hubby and I were very itchy from the bedding- perhaps whatever they wash the bedding in? This didn't affect my kids so hubby and I took some benedryl then fell asleep. Breakfast was good with Cinnamon rolls, sausage, biscuits and gravy. The pancake machine was out of order but no big deal. They were also out of fat free milk but the breakfast guy was very apologetic. Check out was a breeze and the clerk offered my kids some cookies to take on the road which was really nice.
The pool looked nice but we did not swim.
There were cigarette butts all over the sidewalks by the entrance.
Overall I would probably not stay here again unless it was renovated but the staff was fantastic!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear rebeccarose76,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I appreciate your compliment on our hotel staff. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. It sounds like we fell short of our goal in a few areas. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Lera P
Iowa City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here while on a trip overnight. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the water was excellent (both in pressure and temperature). The pool was great, although the pool area was very hot.

I would definitely stay here again.

Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and remember it being a decent place to stop during cross country travel (mainly due to the timing of when to stop driving for the day). Clearly a few years later the hotel is getting run down. As others have said it's probably not up to the standards of most Holiday Inn Express. The rooms were poorly maintained and appeared to be falling apart in many areas - especially the bathroom. Will stop going here and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially at the prices for one night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear cdb81,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience the condition of our hotel may have caused you. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Winchester? Share your experiences!