“Historical, but small” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 attractions in Union
Type: State Parks
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Big Bone Lick State Historic Site is recognized as the birthplace of American vertebrate paleontology for it's significant role in the development of scientific thought regarding extinction and the relationship of geology and paleontology the world over. The park has been named a National Natural Landmark by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior. The park is famous for its combination of salt springs and late Pleistocene bone beds. Ancient creatures like the mammoth, mastodon, and ground sloth prehistorically visited the mineral springs, swamps, and bogs that are now grassy plains covered with trees and shrubs.
Florence, KY
26 attraction reviews
“Historical, but small”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

There isn't a lot to see here, but it does offer a museum, gift show (where you can get Big Bone Lick T-shirts), and a few walking trails. If you'd like to see some bison up close and personal, this is the place to go!

Visited March 2012

Glencoe, Kentucky
“Been camping here since I was a child”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My parents brought me to Big Bone every weekend as a child and I thought I would bring my children here. The park just hasn't been nearly as well taken care of in the past few years. They normally have great activities for the children and friendly camp hosts. But this year there is a new one and he was not friendly at all. There was also a burn ban in effect and every time we wanted to cook we had to go buy carcoal. He would come over and watch everything we did. Made us feel very uncomfortable. My kids were upset they didnt get to make smores because of the burn ban even though it rained almost the whole time we were there. Just isnt the same any more. Probably not coming back. It is a shame I have 30 years of family memories at this park.

Visited July 2012
bluegrass state
64 attraction reviews
“nice, little state park. KY is best for state parks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Went with my 8 year old on a day trip. Nice little display up front of mastodon teeth, bones and other artifacts. Everything is behind glass in little cases. Gift shop is small but has a nice selection of books, toys and clothing and drinks and snacks. Our day there was over 100 degrees. There are replicas of ancient animals out back. The trail to the Bison was not very long and well shaded. Go early to see them. They tend to go to the back in the heat of the day. They have programs through the park and that day was tomahawk throwing but your child had to be 10 to participate. A little disappointing for my son. Maybe have another activity for those that can't participate. Took us about 2 hours to tour the park with the bison. Lady at the gift shop told us to eat at Trixie's Marine on our way to Rabbit Hash, KY. Good, not fancy food.

Visited July 2012
Michigan
15 attraction reviews
“Lovely outdoor walking trails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent a few hours wandering around here, lovely walking trails all through the park. There is a dinosaur diorama, a path out to the sulfur springs(can I recommend a gas mask here??), and there were buffalo somewhere but we were unable to locate them though we did find the fence. and followed it out to a large pasture. I think they were hiding. There is a very nice indoor museum with many dino bones, and a nice gift shop. I have to say, we keep returning to Kentucky becuase the state parks are so wonderful there. Love it.

Visited April 2012
KY
10 attraction reviews
“Nice small park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

It is a kid friendly park. It is not too big, but you could do pretty much everything, such as hiking, fishing, camping, and golfing. Buffaloes are must to see. Also visit information/museum to learn a little bit history.

Visited June 2012