“Very nice hotel that is quiet, comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Stevie Lynn Drive, Somerset, KY 42503   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Somerset
GreenLeadersGold level
Hickman, Kentucky
“Very nice hotel that is quiet, comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

This Holiday Inn Express is very quiet, away from nearby roadway noise. The pool is nice with a comfortable temperature too.
It is somewhat difficult to get to when first driving in but mainly because of the weird traffic lanes in Somerset.

• Stayed January 2014
MatthewRiddick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review! So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Can't wait to have you back again soon! :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Abingdon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have stayed here for the last 5 weeks on business and have been treated great every week. The rooms are always spotless and the service first class. I am greeted each and everytime I walk in the door. Plus, they bake cookies each afternoon! I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great comfortable place to stay.
If I had one area that could be improved, it would be that the Wi-Fi signal is a bit weak at times.

Overall 9 out of 10!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MatthewRiddick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your review! The wifi strength in certain rooms have been brought to my attention this week. I have already taken immediate action and scheduled a technician to come take a look at that for us. If suggested, we will be adding additional access points for guests like you to enjoy our complimentary high speed internet comfortably anywhere within the hotel. Thanks for staying with us and we can't wait to have you back soon! :-)
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Once again, I'm enjoying my stay at this awesome hotel! I can't say enough about the great staff, friendly service and clean, comfortable rooms. Plenty of hot water, fluffy towels and awesome pillows. If I had to find a much needed improvement it would be to please, PLEASE get bigger coffee cups to go and fill the coffee pots more often! Those little cups don't have enough to get out to your car! I see the contractor guests balancing 3---would make more sense to at least offer a larger cup for those of us who hit the road early and need our coffee! That would be a great Thank you Holiday gift to your loyalty, return customers---a Holiday Inn Express travel mug!!! Thanks for making the business trips enjoyable! See you tonight!

• Stayed December 2013
MatthewRiddick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Yay! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay! We can't wait to have you back, thank you SO much for your 5 star review! :-)
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We just arrived back home after spending three nights at this hotel. The location is great although it did not show up on our GPS. I would suggest looking for the Hampton Inn or the Somerset Mall as the mall is just across the street and the Hampton is next door. The cinema is in the parking lot and is easy to walk to from the hotel.

I booked our room thru the Holiday Inn Express website and we are priority members. Because we have four children, I booked the family suite which provided us with a suite and an extra small bedroom off the main room with a set of bunk beds. The children (and us) were very excited for them so they could have their own little spot and we could have privacy. I chose that room specifically for this reason and pre paid a non refundable rate 7 days in advance.

When we arrived around 7 pm the night we checked in, we were told that that room was not available as it had been rented earlier in the day. The woman at the desk seemed very flustered about this and wasn't sure what to do. I insisted that there must have been a mistake and she said that there were only two rooms like that in the whole hotel and they had already been given away earlier in the day. She told me that possibly when I booked the room online it wasn't "really" available" and corporate had not passed along the reservation to them. I do not believe this to be a "good answer".

She didn't seem to know what to do, so I suggested that she give us two rooms but her reply was that then she would have to charge me for two rooms. After struggling with the computer and looking around, she gave us a room with two queen beds and a pull out sofa. She also offered us 1,000 points on our account, which we readily accepted. She did not offer to adjust my rate to a cheaper one

I asked her for a crib which she went back into the office and brought around to me with a big bag of bedding for the pull out sofa. The crib was large and clumsy and my daughter and I struggled with it onto the elevator. It turned over in the elevator and it took both of us to pick it up and push it off the elevator. There was no offer of help getting it to our room.

Our room was nice and big and we did have plenty of room. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable.

The next morning was Thanksgiving and we were welcomed with a note under our door that stated the following words "In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we have limited housekeeping services to give our employees the day off....etc". In other words, your rooms will not be cleaned today. I understand giving holidays off for employees, but not in the service industry. Pay your cleaners a holiday wage and bring them into work. We still had to pay our fees which included housekeeping. After a long day visiting family, we came back to a dirty room, overflowing trash, and dirty towels piled up in the corner.

I went down to talk to the manager who seemed very surprised by my room being given away the day before and he seemed to be very apologetic. He did adjust my rate and gave me a discount for each night which I really appreciated.

The breakfast was a typical HIE breakfast. The servers were efficient and the hotel was spotless.

We would stay at the hotel again, but I will make sure we have the room we reserve next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi traingos! I know we spoke before you left but I wanted to thank you for your review! Again on behalf of my team and hotel, we can't apologize enough for the mix-up! I can assure you that this is not a common mistake and I will see to it that it does not happen again! We thoroughly enjoyed having you stay with us and we can't wait to have you, and your family back again next time!
Decatur, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

A great place to stay. Downtown location and near most attractions including the airport. The staff has done an excellent job maintaining this property. I thought it was a recent build and was surprised to learn it was more than 5 years old. The front desk and staff were cheerful and assisted in making our stay pleasant and enjoyable. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct and advise the front desk of your requirements.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HIEXGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your great review! We take great pride in trying to maintain the "newness" of our facility. I am glad that our guests are able to recognize this. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We used to love HIE's but think they are going downhill a bit in quality and service. Maybe they are cutting expenses. We picked this one b/c it was one of few that was all NON SMOKING and we are priority club members. It was very clean, modern looking - pretty much what you expect when you book a HIE, just not exceptional. We booked a mini-suite. Not as big as some others we have stayed in. One thing I truly wish HIE would change is the quality of their plastic cups. They are SO flimsy that they practically collapse in your hand when you pick them up. I had to double stack them just to feel like it wouldn't collapse on me. So, they don't save any money if you have to use two. The plastic coffee cups, a bit more sturdy, but actually feel a bit oily tasting and the coffee is just barely acceptable. We only got one pack of coffee in the room which translated into hardly two cups. After that, you are out of luck. There should also be a light over the fridge/coffee/microwave area - hard to see what you are doing. The fridge was o.k., functional. When we checked in the front desk clerk was polite, but not overwhelmingly warm. We had to call from our car while on the highway b/c they did not show up on our GPS (too new I guess). I tried to get directions but it was difficult to hear on the cell phone with the road noise. I think maybe the girl was getting annoyed trying to get directions across to me when I couldn't hear her. She finally said "We are next to the Hampton Inn."... Maybe I should have stayed there! The bed was comfortable and we got a good night's sleep which is the main importance. I used to feel the HIE breakfast was very well done, but it seems lacking now. Not very many choices. Our pancakes from their pancake machine were chewy, not fluffy. Also, their choice of "buttery spread" just translates to fake cheap butter. For goodness sakes, provide real butter!!! That stuff tastes terrible! Just kind of a bland, uninteresting breakfast, but at least it kept us full. For a new hotel, our lamp switch was completely broken (limp to the touch) on the desk and there was a huge chip in the tub porcelain that had been very poorly repaired, or I should say attempted repair. Looked bad. Mainly, we did get sleep and felt it was clean, but don't expect much beyond that. If we were ever back in that area again, I think I would stay at the Hampton.

Room Tip: Don't think it matters where the room is located. Had no "noise" at night and it is l...
Green Features: Did not have any recycling program except for the usual "towels & sheets" notice in the room which is really designed to save them money on laundry.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Channie055 for taking the time to complete the IHG Surevey and leave a review on tripadvisor. I apologize that you found some parts of your stay less than enjoyable. I assure you that the suggestions and comments that you have mentioned are being addressed and would like to thank you for bringing those to our attention.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Was a very nice holiday inn ex , easy to get to , so new not in map quest yet . Had to ask for directions. Rooms are very nice and clean . Staff is very friendly . Very quiet no road noise . Had a nice stay would stay again for sure .

• Stayed September 2012
HIEXGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of our facility.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Somerset Central? Share your experiences!