“Spring Break 2014” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cave Spring Farm Bed and Breakfast and Cave Spring Caverns

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Smiths Grove
Cave Spring Farm Bed and Breakfast and Cave Spring Caverns
You added Cave Spring Farm Bed and Breakfast and Cave Spring Caverns to your Saves list
P.O. Box 365, Smiths Grove, KY 42171   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Smiths Grove B&B and Inns
Louisville, Kentucky
“Spring Break 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We rented the log cabin, which was built in the 1830's. It has been significantly updated and is completely comfortable, but it is not he Hyatt. This is a unique opportunity to stay at this location, I regret other visitors are so critical this cabin is not hypo-allergenic. It is rustic. It is an historic log cabin! It also looks out over 5 acres of bird sanctuary and paths. There are 2 rescued, friendly, and adorable horse on the property. The cave is locked and protected because there are 2000 year old mud petroglyphs inside the cave that were damaged and threatened by vandalism. The cave is also inaccessible much of the year because it is a brooding site for endangered grey bats. You are not going to get a private cave tour. You are going to stay here because you care about the effort to protect this resource. Stay here because it is accessible to Mammoth Cave/Bowling Green/Cave City attractions. Stay here because it is an accessible, fantastic, economical, destination for young families. We will gladly return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Southeast USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Just spent Thanksgiving weekend in the Lincoln Cabin on Cave Spring Farm. We went to have a family time with our adult children and tour Mammoth Cave. Bill, our host was very nice and helpful. The cabin is rustic and just what I would have have expected a cabin to be. As indicated by one of the reviews, we did see signs of mice but this is a cabin in the country. We live in an area surrounded by fields and mice are just a part of that....although I admit I DO NOT like them anywhere at any time! This cabin is surrounded by farms, mice are just part of that unless you have cats.

The beds were comfortable and we had plenty of towels in the bathroom. The cost per night was very reasonable and our family could not have stayed in a motel for what we paid..and we were able to cook our meals there, saving us more money as opposed to eating out every meal. In regard to the cost....you are not paying resort prices or fancy hotel prices here so don't expect luxury. Expect a safe and friendly environment, quaint and historic building. We enjoyed getting out and walking on the property, enjoyed the fresh air. Also, our daughter would get up at 5:30 AM and run about 6 miles and we did not have to worry about her safety.

Ghosts...no signs of them...sorry to disappoint.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

we stayed in the lincoln cabin oct 2010. i didn't think to check trip advisor first. i don't think i even knew about this website. i was thinking about our stay two years ago and wondering if i should go back. i'm still undecided. the cabin is very cool. it's a piece of civil war history. i believe that bill told me he had the cabin moved from its abandoned location in virginia and restored on his property. the restoration could be WAY better. it's dark inside, the stairs are narrow and dangerous and the entire building needs a major cleaning.
i found a brown recluse spider in the bathroom - i killed it - but no other signs of pests.
i stayed there one night with my kids and small dog. my husband joined us for the other night (the first night).
the cave underneath the cabin is way cool. it's no longer open. it has some of the earliest known cave drawings inside and is a home to a bat population that is suffering. teenagers had vandalized some of the drawings. for these reasons, bill relinquished the cave to the care of the college. - bill absolutely did the right thing.
so it's wasn't the lap of luxury and being in the company of one brown recluse is one too many.
why would i consider going back? if he reads this, bill will be disappointed that i wrote about it, for sure. but it's been on my mind for two years, and i kinda wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience there before or since my visit.
as i slept alone in my room with my small dog in my bed, my children in the room across the hall, i woke to the sound of footsteps. i figured one of my kids had gotten up to use the bathroom between our rooms. but as i listened for further sounds, i heard silence. no toilet flushing, no tip toes back to bed.... so i got up to check my kids. they were both sound asleep. now i was kinda creeped out, and hurried back in bed with my dog. i snuggled under the covers. suddenly, i heard all at once, the doorknobs to my door, the bathroom door and my children's door get twisted back and then released. my dog jumped up, ears at attention. terrified, i listened for footsteps but heard none. i contemplated checking the kids again when i heard a woman's voice say "it's i-aid-a". she was in my room. my dog was freaking. but the way she spoke, i knew she was a ghost and i could also tell that she meant no harm. she pronounced her name "eye-aide-duh". i've never heard of a name like that. anyway, that was it. i felt the energy calm down and i eventually went back to sleep. my children heard nothing when i quizzed them in the morning. only my dog and i were sure that the cabin has a ghost.
a small part of me wants to go back to hear her again and try to understand it. hmmm.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Union, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The house wasn't filthy at all. It was warm and cozy and the furniture was very comfortable. Bill told me there was no breakfast and exactly how to get there. I saw no mold, all the linens were clean, and nothing smelled. There was no tacky RV; just a really nice bit of peaceful woods. It is a good value compared to hotels and very private.

Room Tip: Little House in the woods.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Worthington, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Well, for starters, the cave was locked up behind metal bars and no one around at the bed and breakfast to give us a tour. Our main reason for staying at this particular cabin was to get a private tour of this cave, and it didn't happen.
If you stay here, plan on eating out, because the grill doesn't get past 150 degrees and the oven broiler wasn't any better. The silverware was laying out for any little creature to crawl on, so we felt it safest to go buy all disposable plasticware, plates, cups, and bowls. The cabin was extremely dirty, it hadn't been swept or dusted in a VERY long time. You could visibly see thick dust on the floor, tables, and dressers. If you have allergies, beware! My 3 year old daughter and I were in absolute misery, I had to go to IGA and get her Claritin, because she was so pitiful! There was insulation hanging out of the drywall. Dead bugs on the floor. As others have stated, the furniture looked like thrift store quality. The stairway was dangerous, very narrow steps, I was scared to death my 2 toddlers were going to tumble down them.
We never even met the innkeeper. The place looked totally abandoned. No one was there to greet us, other than the horses...and the mice. Our children were scared to go to bed at night, because of the mice in their room. We had to go buy our own traps and caught 3 mice in the day and a half that we were there. There were mouse droppings on the washcloths and towels and a mouse urinated on our camera case, that was sitting on the kitchen table. Disgusting!!!
To top it all off...we drove 5 hours back home and low and behold, a mouse was in our luggage!!!! So, off to the store to buy another trap and catch the mouse! We have lived in our house 4 years and have never had mice. We did catch it and have not seen a mouse since.
Then, we get our credit card statement and the owner has not only charged us the $250 for staying there for 2 nights, which should be refunded after the conditions we stayed in, but he also charged $110 to our credit card 6 days later. Now, we have to go through arguing with him and Mastercard to get refunded! Our weekend was pretty miserable, I would not recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Smiths Grove hotels

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We agree with all of the other reviews posted. The cabin was in deplorable condition. It looked like someone abandoned a bad diy renovation. Cobwebs, no trim on doorways, dirty fridge, dangerous stairs, thrift store couches, super old squeaky mattresses, dirty in window air conditioners, dead bugs along perimeter of room. If that isn't enough for you, the porch is sagging with giant animal holes underneath, the outdoor furniture is filthy, there are pictures with broken glass in the frame, tourist magazines from 1995 and beyond! The walls are unpainted and the insulation is exposed in several areas. We were told the schoolhouse was not available but there was no one staying there, or in the main house. The main house was always dark, and we never saw the owner- very spooky. The grounds could be gorgeous. The horse barn is dilapitated, the horses had algae in their water, poor things. I feel like maybe this place was amazing 10-15 years ago but for some reason they stopped taking care of it. With a small investment it could be really great. Very sad.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Louisville, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

The photos really say it all. We stayed at the Little house in the woods. It was ok if you're fine with rustic. Obviously built by someone other than a professional, it is just not quite right. I think that the owner means well, just isn't a professional inn keeper. The coffee grounds were still in the filter from the previous person. The corners of the floor had visible dirt, the drain in the bath was filthy. But at the same time, there were flowers on the table and a note welcoming us.
Just know where you're staying. Please see my photos.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cave Spring Farm Bed and Breakfast and Cave Spring Caverns? Share your experiences!