“Repulsive” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dallas, TX
“Repulsive”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have never been compelled to even write a review until now. It was that awful. Everyone has had bad experiences in restaurants, but this one was truly dreadful. The service and atmosphere are decent. That's the best thing going for them.

We chose to dine in instead of doing the hibatchi grill. I suppose that was our first mistake. Although, I would never come back to try the hibatchi now.

We ordered the General Tso's chicken and Teriyaki chicken entrees which includes soup and salad. We also ordered spring rolls. Both of us were pretty hungry and eager to try a new restaurant. The soup tasted like hot cardboard water. Sad, because we were hungry. So, then we tried the salad. It was drenched in salad dressing. The kind of watery, thousand islandy tasting dressing that is typically used at Japanese restaurants. But, this was even less appetizing as others I've tasted. I thought that was going to be the end of the disappointment. We got three small spring rolls. We were still so hungry! We could only eat one each. I don't know how you can ruin a spring roll. It just tasted off. In a strange, aftertaste way. So, then our hopes were rooted in the entree. They came and didn't look too bad. My teriyaki had that strange aftertaste. The worst part was the chicken. It was so slimy and rubbery. Like eating squid. And there was a lot of stringy fat on it. I might have been able to handle the rubbery texture and the fat. But, it just didn't taste good. In fact, I could only eat maybe 5-6 bites. I was so sad. And still so hungry! My husband ordered the Gen. Tso's chicken. They were like breaded, cheap chicken nuggets slathered in gummy sauce. He got a look at some of the chicken and completely lost his appetite. This is from a guy who would eat about anything. He even likes an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet meal.

When the waitress came back and asked if we wanted boxes to go, we just told her that we just didnt really care for our meals. She then said that the Gen. Tso's wasn't very good there and that we should have done the sushi or hibatchi grill. She said dining in wasn't very good. We just asked for our check. We thought she might come back with a manager or a comped appetizer or some sort of goodwill. Nope. Check for $31 for literally 10 bites of food between us. It was beyond disheartening. We ended up getting McDonald's on the way home just to eat something.

Just go anywhere else in Richmond. I don't want anyone else to have to waste their money here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

MidWest
“Classy but not Top of the Class”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Flair with pizazz but the performance rushed; the "volcano", juggling, tapping, and other acts of traditional Japanese expertise rather hastily done even though restaurant was not busy (4:30 p.m. on a rainy day).

Portions generous and food was well presented. Shrimp was delicious and steak outstanding. Chicken flavorful. A clever touch were the noodles---peppered! Quite good, exotic, and delicious.

Salad had tomatoes in it which is unusual for Japanese. The soup was rather strong and quite salty, to the point I did not finish.

I must say our waitress was in the TOP ONE PERCENT of all in the Lexington area, and it was worth the trip just to have her serve us.

• Visited December 2012