“Nice Memorial Day getaway” 3 of 5 stars

Jenny Wiley State Resort
75 Theatre Court, Prestonsburg, KY 41653   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Prestonsburg
Attica, Indiana
“Nice Memorial Day getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We just returned from an overnight stay at Jenny Wiley State Resort Lodge. The lodge was nice but the room smelled pretty musty when we first opened it up. The staff was very helpful and the grounds and pool area were well maintained. The food was very good in the restaurant. We walked on two long, pretty well maintained trails but were disappointed when we saw trash in several spots and parts of the trails closed off. We have been to several Kentucky state parks now and this was probably our least favorite overall.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake have the nicest view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Suwanee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I read a lot of reviews and had mixed feelings about what was expected. I needed lodging anywhere between Pikeville to Prestonsburg and found prices prohibitive on my per diem. My rating is based on what I received for the price I paid. I stayed in the Lodge and will say the rooms need some updating. However, my room was clean and I enjoyed the deck off my room that faced the lake and hill/mountain on the other side. It was very quiet and serene after a long day at work! I know the park offers many activities but I did not avail myself of any of them. My review is strictly the lodge. The staff, when checking in, was very efficient and pleasant. My room looks as if it were newly carpeted and clean. I mentioned to the desk clerk that I prefer not to have housekeeping every day since I have work papers laying out and let's face it, who changes their sheets at home every day? When I stopped at the desk the following day to pick up some coffee for my room, the clerk already had a bag made up with coffee and creamer/sweetener packets for me, enough for a week! When you say you have a lodge room, it's a little misleading. There is a main building that is the lodge but the rooms are like a motel, away from the lodge. I ate at the buffet, in the lodge, several times and consider it a typical buffet. The wait staff appear to be college students and were very friendly and efficient. I also visited the lounge, something new I think, and found the barmaid very friendly. You can order menu items from the lounge, just not the buffet. All in all, I am enjoying my stay, have been here 1-1/2 weeks so far with another 1-1/2 weeks to go. I would return if back in the area.

Room Tip: Request a lower level room with deck facing the lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Batavia, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We just returned from a 3-night stay at the lodge at Jenny Wiley State Park.
The staff was welcoming and helpful, the food was great, the room was clean and comfortable - our every need was met. The staff had made note that it was our anniversary, and treated us like VIPs. We wished we could have stayed another night to enjoy this oasis in the beautiful
mountains of eastern Kentucky.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the parking lot, if you can. The mountain views are so scenic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our time got cut short due to a family death. Everyone at the was helpful in taking care of of our one night stay and understanding that we needed to leave. I can not say enough about the accommodations, my Wife is a city gal it was an eye opener for her, not her typical HI or Hilton.
I would recommend staying here quite GREAT staff

Room Tip: stay in hotel not in cottages unless you like the outdoors I do Wife and daughter no so much
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Louisville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were on an adventure and ended up for the night at Jenny Wiley State Park. There were lodge rooms available for under $70! We have stayed at a lot of KY State Parks. These rooms were somewhat dated, but clean and comfortable. The only issue was that the air conditioner was loud and kept going off and on all night and it was either really hot or really cold in our room. The park itself is really nice. We spent some time at the campground because they had line dancing and that was really fun. The archery range did not have any targets, so we were disappointed that we couldn't shoot our bows. They have a lot of activities for kids. The restaurant was good. We had the buffet and there were several veggie and meat choices, as well as a pretty extensive salad bar. The wait staff were college aged and were all friendly locals. Next time we will rent a canoe. We just ran out of time this time. The pool was nice and we enjoyed meeting other guests there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recently stayed 2 nights at Jenny Wiley. I was there for work so I did not have time to enjoy anything the state park had to offer. The room was outdated but was reasonably clean. It smelled musty but I think that's to be expected up in the mountains surrounded by trees. Especially since there had been a lot of rain recently. I ate in the dining room for convenience and it was pretty good. They had a buffet with typical buffet food but it wasn't bad for $7.99 (lunch). All in all I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent one night here on a trip with our two grandsons, and luckily only one night. We have stayed at many state park lodges before, and most are rustic and by no means luxurious. But many are well worth it for the beautiful surroundings. Unfortunately Jenny Wiley's lodge was perhaps the worst we've ever visited. The park itself is nice, winding along the lake for five or six miles. But the lodge is much in need of a refreshening, and there was a definite lack of hospitality. The room rate was quite reasonable at only $72/night, so you can't expect too much for that price. But you should expect decent service and a clean facility. Our room was pretty shabby, with a rather dark atmosphere and a dead roach on the porch. The carpeted walkway leading to the room was littered with leaves and other material such that you definitely would not want to walk on it in your bare feet. Our first impression was that of a really seedy place (like some very old motels you still see along the highway), and that impression never changed.

Some of the staff were friendly, but the servers in the dining room were surly and front desk personnel didn't seem to know too much when we would ask them a question. In general, the staff seemed unmotivated to provide good service.The lobby is not at all inviting. The restaurant overlooks the lake and was OK, with the standard dinner and breakfast buffet---mediocre, but acceptable. They do have a bar/lounge where you can get pizza, sandwiches, etc., and the servers there seemed more positive. Probably the best part of the lodge is that they do have a nice pool, but they were out of towels when we first got there, so I had to walk up to the lodge lobby to request more towels. Overall, the issues here seem to be a management issue, although perhaps the recession has impacted how much the state of Kentucky can spend on upkeep, etc. We would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: I'm afraid there really aren't any good rooms, but ours did overlook the pool and the view w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Prestonsburg hotels

Been to Jenny Wiley State Resort? Share your experiences!