“Nice big rooms but it needed a little more cleaning” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Pikeville
wv
“Nice big rooms but it needed a little more cleaning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Nice big rooms but mine needed a little better cleaning as I saw 2 new water cups between the desk and TV stand against the wall also a good many hairs on the outside of the tub and on the bathroom floor and they were still there my second night after maid service cleaned the room.Also the person-family on the floor above me woke me up both nights that I was there. I told the front desk about being woke up @ 12:00ish from what sounded like someone running & jumping above me for about an hour,they said that they would talk to them and I asked if they were going to be there Sunday night also.Well they woke me up again my second night and I went down and told them about it this time but nothing was done as the noise lasted for well over an hour.They did have ear plugs in the room for the road noise and trains but I don't use them and the cars and trains didn't bother me while sleeping.So if you stay here ask for the top floor !

Room Tip: Book a top floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Teresa D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pikeville, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will correct this problem with training and more detailed inspections.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am writing this Review to inform everyone how wonderful and AMAZING this Hotel is,
We had to stay here for a Business trip and our family was with us, from the very moment we checked in to the months were here, EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE very helpful at there front desk, they have a very CLEAN pool, and there Rooms are IMMACULATE!!! Military white glove clean.... ALSO they go way and beyond to make your trip a pleasure for business or pleasure or just passing through this location is without flaw!!!! every employee from front desk, to Housekeeping to the Maintence is top notch!!! SO your next trip through PIKEVILLE KY, come try this hotel its a top rated hotel and is well worth every penny!! FIVE STAR ALL THE WAY :)
Holiday Inn Express Pikeville
476 S Mayo Trail, Pikeville, KY 41502

Room Tip: The SUITES are AMAZING, There like a one bedroom Apartment, also EVERYROOM gets SNACKS DAILY.... Wha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is what I would consider the "other option" in Pikeville, second to the Hampton Inn downtown. The evening and morning staff were incredibly pleasant and were the model for good customer service. There were three of us waiting in the lobby to check in and the front desk receptionist had two calls on the phone, but she juggled all of the work extremely well and ensured us that she would be with us shortly. She also informed us of all of the hotel's amenities (workout room, pool, breakfast times, vending machines, laundry, you name it) at check-in.

The rooms were clean and well-stocked, and I found the room quite large, even with a king-size bed, oversized chair, desk, and several smaller stands. I was also thrilled that the hotel leaves a complimentary snack in your room. It wasn't much, but a pack of Oreos, a bag of Fritos, and a bottle of water sure look good when you've been on the road for several hours and haven't had much to eat. Furthermore, this hotel seemed to have plenty of rooms available, as people were still calling in reservations when I checked in around 7 p.m., which makes it a great option for last-minute travel plans.

I have two criticisms of this hotel, however. One is that it is right along a busy highway and I found the traffic quite loud. I prefer to sleep with a fan for background noise, and once I turned on the fan, it drowned out the noise from the traffic completely. However, if you are one who needs complete silence to get a good night's sleep, you might want to try staying somewhere else. Keep in mind that there is construction going on over by the Hampton Inn, so for the time being, you'll have to choose which sounds bother you more: traffic or construction.

My other criticism of my stay was that the hot water took a very long time to heat up in the shower, and once it did heat up, it was scalding hot and wouldn't cool down even after 30 seconds of adjusting the knob to a cooler setting. I was forced to turn the water off to keep from burning myself. I was finally able to adjust it to a point where it was comfortable for me to take a shower, but this was after several minutes of adjusting.

All-in-all, this was a solid hotel. Just be aware that there is traffic noise and be careful when adjusting the hot water!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side of the building that doesn't face the road; it will likely be quie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed overnight at this location last night while on an overnight business trip to Pike County. Despite checking in at nearly 10pm, the duty staff was helpful and polite. The room, itself was clean and comfortable. The breakfast bar was pretty good and included cereal, hot and cold danishes, juice and even hot food (sausage patties, bacon, scrambled eggs and the makings for biscuits and gravy). There is a Captain Ds, Dairy Queen and a Mexican restaurant a short walk from this location, and other restaurants a short drive away.
As earlier reviewers have said, this hotel is right next to US 23, aka the 'County Music Highway', so there can be road noise, depending on the level of traffic (traffic was pretty light the night I stayed). The rooms do, however, have heavy drapes, but they are the outside layer (you'll see them if you open the other, translucent curtains).
If you need a clean, comfortable room I would recommend this location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The staff at the Holiday Inn Express in Pikeville are wonderful. We stay there monthly and have always found the Inn to be clean, well stocked and comfortable. The beds are upgraded and the linens are clean and inviting. The staff work very hard to see that each guest is treated like family and they try to accomodate every need. Although we have other choices of hotels in Pikeville, we always choose the HIE because of the friendliness of the staff. We are VERY PICKY travelers and only stay where we can relax and enjoy the time and feel that the room is an oasis. The breakfast bar attendant is very freindly and accomodating and the food is very good. DS

Room Tip: We prefer the river side rather than the street side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ashland Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed 2 nights here on an anniversary trip. Room was spacious and clean. It's a little tricky to get to. Our GPS spent us down the road past the hotel. We had to turn around and come back. When you see the hotel, turn at the light and you will actually be going away from the property but turn at the first street, in front of Dairy Queen, and go back to the hotel. The staff could not have been more friendly. The breakfast lady was super nice. We were very happy with the room. The only draw back was the pool was pretty cool and there was no hot tub. Would stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We were in the southwest corner room. You can hear trains some but it did not interrupt our sleep
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Barboursville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have been traveling with my job for many years. This hotel is always clean and the staff are very accommodating. I appreciate all that Teresa and her staff do to make my stay a pleasant stay each and every time. First Class!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pikeville? Share your experiences!