“Variety to spare!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 154 Restaurants in Paducah
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Tampa FL
“Variety to spare!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I truly enjoyed this place! Went on a Saturday around 2 and it was packed, but got great service and food anyway. Pages of fresh seafood options made my head spin, so I got the Sampler Plate w/ 5 options. Excellent! You can NOT leave here hungry. They even had a free help yourself cauldren of Black Eyed Peas while you wait. Ahhhhh.

Visited August 2013

Iowa
“Good Riverview Location; Mixed Review on Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Whalers is located in Paducah's Historic Riverfront District. Their interior dining room was a nautical theme, even the tables were made to look like they're suspended from the ceiling with heavy ship's roping. Outside there's 2 large wooden hexagon shaped decks with 2 raised patio areas high above them for dining/drinking with a view.

I ordered their crawfish etouffee soup, but it came with small shrimp in it. I info'd our waitress, she then came back with a crawfish soup. It was a thick tomato-based soup; not made with the spicy brown roux flavor I'm used to. The fried fish sandwich was good with a thick crunchy piece of fish. The potato salad was rather bland but the Foster's on tap was cold.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paducah, Kentucky
“A "Paducah" place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Everyone has to go to Whaler's at least once when they come to town. Great atmosphere; Ordinary seafood menu; might as well go to one of the fast food fish places and save $$

Visited August 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Incredibly small, bite-sized everything at $8.95 each.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had seen this place before in passing and so I googled it, found their website and looked at the menu. I saw that they had alligator. I never had alligator before and so I coaxed one of my friends to go with me.

When we initially were looking at the menu in the restaurant one thing that struck me as odd was almost everything on the menu was $8.95 - most all the appetizers, soups, salads, entrees were all $8.95 each.

I ordered the alligator, fried seafood potpourri, and crawfish creole. My friend ordered the calamari and the new england clam chowder. Our waitress appeared to be stressed, perhaps because of the lunch rush and our appetizers came out relatively quickly. The plates that the appetizers came out on could be covered completely by just one of our hands (we are guys..we have big hands...but they’re not that big). The portion size was incredibly small. My friend and I looked at each other when we saw how small the portion sizes were - and we said to one another, “Hopefully our entrees are not the same size.”

The alligator and dipping sauce that accompanied it was good, nothing extraordinary, but decent. My friend’s calamari tasted a bit rubbery and didn’t contain any full bodies of babies squid (which is what my friend really likes). Personally, I love the calamari from McCormick and Schmick’s - to die for!

Shortly thereafter our entrees were brought to our table. My friend had chowder and my fried seafood potpourri plate appeared as though it was just thrown onto the plate. These portions were also incredibly small. The potpourri consists of popcorn shrimp, clams, and fish according to the menu. The popcorn shrimp was the smallest I’d ever seen, so were the clams, very tiny. They gave one piece of fried fish (it appeared to be cod). The batter they fry everything with (including the alligator and calamari) was very bland and nothing special. I hate to say it, but Captain D’s (which I do not like at all) tastes better than Whaler’s Catch and the portion sizes at Captain D’s are much larger and less expensive (or from what I remember).

We split the bill, which ended up being about $30 for each of us and we left still hungry. I wish there was a McCormick and Schmick’s around...our bellies would have been full with tasty food and we’d be out about the same in cash.

It was very disappointing, especially since they had a bunch of awards posted on their window...it made us wonder if ownership had changed, or if it’s the only seafood restaurant that is close for some people, or if people just have bad taste.

On the upside, the ambiance inside is cute, I wish I would have taken a picture in retrospect, especially since I will not be going back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mount Vernon, Illinois
“Never Disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I went to Whaler's for our 16th wedding anniversary. We had a great time and a terrific meal. We had been here before on numerous occasions and had been quite pleased. It had been years since we had been back. We were hoping it would live up to our memories. It did.
We shared an alligator tail appetizer. It was very good. I would have liked it to have a bit more spice; but still it was a nice. My husband had the shrimp bisque and I had the shrimp gumbo. They were both excellent. My husband had the Maryland blue crab cakes. They were divine. I had the fried seafood potpourri. Everything was delicious. It wasn't greasy at all. Unfortunately, we were too full for desert. I highly recommend Whaler's Catch!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere