“Nice Place to Stay in Owensboro” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Owensboro
Algonquin, Illinois
“Nice Place to Stay in Owensboro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights in Owensboro. The Sleep Inn was very comfortable, clean and convenient. Less than 10 minutes to the downtown area and waterfront and close to the botanic garden. The rooms have a smallish bathroom with an outside sink that isn't separated from the rest of the room, which wasn't an issue for us.
The staff was very friendly and had helpful suggestions on dining. Breakfast was a little better than the usual free breakfast bars, which included a waffle maker, eggs, toast, bagels, cereal, etc. Overall, a pleasant experience. We would stay there if in Owensboro again.

And there was plenty of hot water for the shower.

Room Tip: Doesn't have anything to do with the hotel, but the main bridge into town is closed until Novemb...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
DeMotte, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stay here every time we go to Owensboro, KY. We have family and business in town. Every year and every trip gets better. Coming into town from Indiana, we pass by 5 motels to get to this one. It's close enough to the expressway to be very handy, but not so close as to be bothered by noise. A clean, quiet and well maintained place that's next best thing to being home. The staff and the owners have what I can only refer to as a "Servant Spirit Attitude." A friendly, caring and competent staff that delights in making the stay enjoyable. Food and meals are great. We travel often and stay in many motels. Sleep Inn in Owensboro is one of the best.....strike that...Sleep Inn in Owensboro is the best. We highly, highly recommend this motel.

Room Tip: We have stayed here lots of times and in all parts and all floors of the building. I don't thin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here last week while in town on business. On Monday night I ate at the Moonlite Barbecue restaurant which is very close to this hotel. Had great barbecue and lots of food. On the next night, I ate at this hotel's manager's reception, where they served us very good barbecue pork sandwiches among other things. I guess Owensboro is really known for its barbecue and very proud of it. Really enjoyed this place--was very clean and reasonably priced. People here were super friendly. Great place. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Only complaints. Hate fluorescent lighting. Also the Internet had to relog in often. Annoying. Location convenient to expressway. Friendly staff. Breakfast was good and television channel selection was excellent.

• Stayed September 2012
Westmont, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great Motel, fantastic staff and wonderful owners. I am a frequent guest and the staff and management alway's make our family feel like we are home. We can't wait for our next trip to Owensboro! I highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I am a frequent guest here and know the management staff well. I've always been treated as a special customer, never taken for granted. Sissy, the desk staff during the day, is so positive, you can't possibly stay in a bad news once you talk to her. The pool and other public areas are always impeccibly clean. The recent updates of aircon, TVs, bedding, drapery, etc... have really given the place a "high rent" look but the prices remain very reasonable, keeping it the best value in the area by far. Breakfast is always good and they also have a free dinner on Tuesday evenings. Although it's always pretty simple food, it's always good and there's plenty of it. I've left numerous items behind but they're always kept for me and are there when I return. You can't go wrong with this property and the staff who run it!
David H.
(work for a local community mental health center)

Room Tip: They have many choices but the quietest rooms are usually on the 2nd or 3rd floors, on the back of t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Midway, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

While the room was clean and comfortable, I woke up the next morning with no hot water for a shower. After two phone calls to the front desk and letting the water run (yes, I know how to use both levers to turn the water from cold to hot), I gave up after 30 minutes and checked out without a shower. The owner/manager called me two days later (because I asked for a discount for my bad experience) and he ARGUED with me for five minutes and practically called me a liar or a moron for not being able to operate a shower! My two part-time jobs are at a church and a chamber of commerce. I'm a graduate of a local leadership program. I'm neither a liar nor a moron. (I am a hot-head who uses foul language when she's really ANGRY - which I regret).

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SLEEPINNOWENSBOROGM, Owner at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
As the general manager and franchisee of the Owensboro Sleep Inn, I would be the first to offer a discount if not full refund for a truly bad experience. I have done this before and, unfortunately, will probably do so again as I am fully aware that mistakes do happen. However, we occasionally run in to situations where we feel the complaint is not grounded or where the request for discount/refund is for ulterior motives. My staff and I clearly feel this is the case re. this complaint.
There is absolutely no problem with hot water at our hotel. At 6am on the day of departure, this guest phoned the front desk agent and said there was no hot water for shower. Agent offered to come to guest's room to investigate and guest refused. Agent then said he would check hot water heaters / other vacant rooms to see if he noticed any problems. He went to an outside mechanical room where he fount that water heaters were functioning properly. When he returned to front desk (approximately 6:20 am), he noticed the guest's key card on his computer keyboard with a note saying "No Shower--EXPECTING BIG DISCOUNT!!!" . The guest had obviously left hotel. The front desk agent went to the guest's room to test the shower and had extremely hot water within a minute. This was later confirmed by our maintenance manager, head housekeeper, and myself that morning. We have had absolutely no other complaints re. hot water and note that guest's room is used quite regularly.
I phoned guest personally to discuss and guest was very defensive. When I explained that the front desk agent's offer to come to the room to check the shower was simply meant to verify the problem and be sure that she was operating the shower handles properly, I was informed that she "was not a moron and certainly could figure out how to operate a shower" . I explained to the guest that we found no problems with the hot water and was hit with a profanity-laced tirade that we were liars. We certainly do not feel any discount / refund is warranted in this case. BOTH MY STAFF AND I ARE VERY CONFIDENT OF OUR HOT WATER SYSTEM AND GIVE A HEARTY WELCOME AND INVITATION TO FUTURE GUESTS TO COME GIVE US A TRY--WE WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU!

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!