“Not just ordinary food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Nicholasville, Kentucky
“Not just ordinary food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I'm so glad when I find a restaurant that has a creative variety of items on the menu, especially when it includes vegetarian options. Service is always friendly and prompt. Thumbs up!

Visited July 2012

89% Recommend
Owensboro, KY
“Good "out of the way place" for lunch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We met some family for lunch at the Pangea Cafe last friday afternoon around 2pm. At that time there was only one other group eating, so there was not a wait. The restaurant is in a strip mall setting. The exterior was typical of such. The interior was nice in the decor but the simple table and chairs seemed to be out of place with the rest of the design. The menu selection was good several choices but not overwhelming. We all had sandwiches and fries or homemade chips and water total bill $58 before tip, which I thought to be a little steep for lunch. That being said the food was very good quality. The service was kinda slow but there seemed to be only one worker there, she greeted us and also was our server along with the other group, I'm assuming she didn't have to prepare the food as well. But we were not in any hurry.

Over all a good experience for a relaxing meal. I would return again. So, if you are looking to try something different, like we were, then I would recommend that you give them a try. If you are on a budget and in a hurry, may want to try another time.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kentucky
“Best restaurant we have been to in Owensboro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and myself have dined at Pangea only twice, once for lunch (in Oct.) and last night for dinner (in Nov.), since we only recently discovered it. Both meals were superb. We do not dine out frequently, nor have we tried every establishment in Owensboro, but we both agree this is the best restaurant we have dined at in Owensboro. I have lived and dined in several states and major cities across the U.S., Canada, and the Bahamas, and I would consider Pangea to be among the very best restaurants I have dined at in my life.

Every thing we ordered was perfectly prepared and beautifully plated. The chef's blending, fusion of flavors, creativity, and seasoning in his dishes are spot on. To find a treasure like this in Owensboro is unexpected and a pleasant surprise. This is not your standard fare for this area, so those who are not open to trying something a little different may not care for many of the menu selections (although they do have burgers on the menu for those who don't care to try something new). The dinner menu is pricier than the lunch menu, but also more varied. The lunch menu is quite affordable. The chef is classically trained and uses local fresh products whenever possible. If you are a vegetarian you will find delicious vegetarian selections on the menu. My husband who is not a vegetarian tried the white bean hummus panini for lunch and said it was so delicious you do not even miss the meat. I tried a bite of his sandwich and fell in love with it also, and I am not a vegetarian either.

For dinner we both ordered appetizers and two different steak entrees. The appetizers were amazing. The steaks were done to perfection, so tender they melted in your mouth like butter, and the sauces were unbelieveably delicious, complemented and enhanced the steaks perfectly without overpowering the flavor of the meat. This may be a small thing to some people, but it was huge to me; my side vegetable was steamed baby green beans, usually when you are served these they are almost raw and too crunchy, or overcooked until limp. These green beans were cooked to absolute tender, crisp perfection. It is obvious this chef knows his craft.

We look forward to dining here again in the future, and have recommended it to our family and friends in this area. Because of it's location on the far west side of town I don't feel it gets the attention/traffic that downtown or east side restaurants do in this area. It is well worth heading west for this special and unique restaurant in Owensboro.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Owensboro, Kentucky
“One of the Finest Restaurants in Owensboro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Pangea Cafe is one of the finer dining establishments in town. There is something on the menu for those wanting to be adventurous and try New American cousine, as well as for those looking for a good burger or salad. I have been there 3 time and never dissappointed.

The good: The salads here rival that of the better Greek and Italian restaurants. The Jalapeno burger is THE best hamburger anywhere the city of Owensboro regardless of your tastes. We ordered the hummus as an appetizer and my companion and I agreed that is was the best in the region including Western Kentucky and Southern Indiana. She stated it was the best she'd ever had.

The bad: the best place to dine is in the hall section where it may be rented out for receptions and parties. If this is the case, the regular dining room is a bit too crowded and very close to the open kitchen area. The website is also very lacking for a place this refined.

Overall, this is one of the most adventurous and delicious places not only in Owensboro, but in the entire part of the state. It's a great place for a date, anniversary, or even a quick lunch as the menu changed according to time of day. Very underrated on this website.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kentucky
“Menu too diverse for me”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I'm just a southern girl, the menu didn't have much for me to chose from. I'm a fan of sho guns, pizza hut, moonlite, chedders, etc. I just do not like odd combos of food or any sauces really. Guess you could say I'm picky. Wouldn't recommed to other picky eaters.

• Visited November 2010