“4 Paws up for Carter Caves State Resort Park - (Lewis Caveland Lodge)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carter Caves State Resort

You added Carter Caves State Resort to your Saves list
Carter Caves State Resort
344 Caveland Drive, Olive Hill, KY 41164   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olive Hill
Ft. Thomas KY
“4 Paws up for Carter Caves State Resort Park - (Lewis Caveland Lodge)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Welcome to Carter Caves State Resort Park where your dogs are always welcome. The first criteria for travel in my pack is, "are you dog friendly?" The answer is a big yes for all of the Kentucky State Resort Parks. Resort Parks means that there is a lodge in the park. All of these Resorts Parks have at least 2 dog friendly rooms that tack on 27.00 dollars extra for clean up. We parked within 10 steps of our rooms. I had the dog friendly room and it was spotless. The floor was laminate and looked new. My basset hound and I stayed in room 260. I suggest you request this exact room. It is on the ground level of course and there is a huge grassy area steps away from the door. The Lodge even has doggie poop bags right out side of your door. There a large bench to sit on as well. My Mom had the room right next door. Each room has a balcony that overlooks a mature forest area. If there was a problem it was the balcony. The barriers between the balconies did not come to the ground and with a dog like a basset hound, they could go right under it. Not the best set up. A leash would be a must for a low to the ground hound or a little dog. Now a little bit about the park. When entering Carter Caves make sure you are not in a hurry. This drive leading into the park is absolutely beautiful. There are dozens of little pull offs that over look a huge creek/stream. The photo ops are endless. If you plan ahead you can bring your lunch and have a picnic at one of the many tables that overlook the natural beauty of this area. According to many KY State Park visitors this drive is one of the best in all of the KY State Parks. I would have to agree. We did not pick Carter Caves for the Caves. My Mom and I had no intention of going anywhere there might be bats. We go for the drives and the walks. There was also a really cute welcome center and gift shop. This is where the cave tours start. We also love the old time feel of the Lodges and the dining halls. We had 2 meals in Tierney's Cavern. The menu was the same as other KY Resort Parks but the presentation was not as good. The food was not hot and way, way over salted. Our suggestion would be to ask the cook not to salt the food which we did and it was still too salty. It was OK but nothing to buy a post card of the cave and write home about. My basset hound, Chaps stayed in the room and laid by the door until my Mom and I got back. He seemed fine. I left the TV on for him and upon our return we all headed out for an evening walk around the area. As we were heading out a group of 5 deer walked right in front of us. They were not phased at all. We always call it an early night with a glass of wine. Bring your own because these KY State Resort Parks are dry. We had full internet access with no problems at all. There is cable TV in the rooms with about 15 channels. We were going to explore more of the region the next morning but I got a horrible cold and we had to return home. We will go back! Again, we give Carter Caves KY State Resort Park 4 paws up. Grandma, Cat, and Chaps of bassethoundtown

Room Tip: If you are traveling with dogs pick room 260. You can thank me later;)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the lodge for two nights, in one of the pet friendly rooms. I must say, it is the nicest state park room I have stayed in. My dad works for the state, so I've stayed in many. The room had laminate flooring for easy clean up (I'm assuming that was a perk reserved for the pet friendly room s), and a private covered balcony that was spacious enough for 4-5 people approx. There is also a screen on the backdoor, which enabled us to sleep with a cool breeze coming in at night. The room is big enough that if you have to stay in(it rained one entire day) it will accommodate 2 adults and 2 large dogs comfortably. Last but not least, the amount of wildlife around the lodge is crazy! We saw multiple deer, skunks, squirrels and snakes. For that reason, even though our dogs are well behaved we always kept them on their leashes.

Room Tip: Room 261 is on the first floor on the end. We didn't choose this room, but when we go back we wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our group of 30 stayed at the lodge in September, found the park to be quite pleasant and relaxing. Rooms in the lodge are clean and have a balcony overlooking the woods. The restaurant on site was too handy to ignore. Going anywhere else would have been too much effort.

Wi-fi is free, breakfast is under $10. This is no Ritz Carlton, so don't expect perfection. It is a lodge in a state park. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Two couples could share a cottage for almost the same cost as two separate lodge rooms. Cottages ha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We took our 4 kids out here for 3 days to camp and we thought this was a very nice campground. They had lots of activities going on (it was Labor Day weekend, I don't know if they always have this much stuff going on!) such as a movie night in the cave, making ice cream (free), tie dying shirts, music on Friday night in the pavilion between the primitive and RV sites. The little 'general' store between the two sites was also nice, just in case you forgot anything or just feel like having a candy bar or icee. Caves tours available all day long, we didn't get to do anymore than one tour bc we had a puppy with us that we didn't realize we were going to have when we booked the campsite. All the sites have a picnic table and fire pit, but no grate on the fire pit.

The only reason this is a 4 instead of a 5 is because I agree with the poster below...those bathrooms were terrible. Dark, cramped, run-down. They DID clean them at least twice a day (maybe more but I know I saw them twice a day) but there is a point where cleaning doesn't help bc what you are cleaning is so run down. I didn't think they were 'dirty' just need major renovations; gut the whole room and start over!

Great place for kids! I imagine we will go back when we can do more things there. I don't remember the number of our (primitive) site but I remember that I liked site 114 except it didn't have much grassy area. I wouldn't get one of the sites in the inside of the loop unless you want to be thisclose to your neighbors.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had a great time camping here and the campground staff was super friendly and helpful, but the restrooms were absolutely disgusting. Having stayed at many other state parks in KY and other states I could not believe how terrible this camp's were. We tried to use the restrooms at the lodge before we went back to camp at night, it was really that bad.

The hiking, caving, camping, mini putt putt, tennis courts and children's activities were great. You see deer and other assorted critters frequently, kids will love it. The cabins looked good from the outside if camping isn't your thing.

We will be back, but we are REALLY hoping that they will take better care of the campground restrooms in the future.

Room Tip: Never saw a room inside the lodge, but we did see many staff people there cleaning.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ashland, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

My seven-year old and I went to Carter Caves for a few days of camping and fun. The staff all around the park was very kind and helpful. Mini-golf was fun, as was the Cascade Caves tour. A recent flash flood resulted in closing the waterfall portion of the tour. We were able to request a change in camping sites upon seeing our current location was a little congested. We had site 106, and it worked out well. The grounds were well cared for, except for the road system in the park. Watch out for all of the potholes! We didn't have much luck fishing, but it was still quality time together. The playground at the campground was very clean, and we enjoyed walking from the campground to mini-golf. We reserved our site online, and it worked very well. There is no wi-fi at the campfround, but there is at the lodge. Also, we were able to get cell phone service almost everywhere in the park. We went to the pool both days of our visit, and it felt very good. I wish they had a slide, but they do have a section with a high dive. They had lifeguards on duty during our visit, but they are about to limit the days lifeguards on duty beginning 8/13/12. The gift shop is very nice in case you want a souvenir. Great place for some family time!

• Stayed August 2012
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and go here once a year for the hiking. Rooms are clean and nice enough. The onsite restaurant is nothing special. They have a limited menu as the buffet is the big draw. Don't expect a buffer like Ryan's though. The options are much fewer and the flavoring lacking. There are a couple cave tours lasting around an hour each that adults and kids both would enjoy. Don't expect Mammoth Cave, but the tours are still worth a look.

There are several excellent hikes less than 2 miles. The Natural Bridge Trail and Horn Hollow Trail are our favorites with multiple cave entrances and rock shelters to be seen.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carter Caves State Resort? Share your experiences!