“Dont expect to much” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olive Hill
Bay Village, Ohio
“Dont expect to much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The resort is not what it used to be. The rooms need a renovation. Staff needs to be trained in hospitality, I asked for an outlet to be repaired twice,once when I checked in and the next day, it was never done. I had to put the coffee maker on the floor next to the bed for power.
The place was full of the staffs family hanging out while they were working. The restaurant staff was unfriendly and not helpful
Its sure didnt look like anyone was in charge

Room Tip: Be on the top floor, we were on the lower floor and the family above us walked a lot. You can here e...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Alma, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I just finished exploring Kentucky for our 2012 vacation. We drove from Arkansas to Carters Cave then down to Cumberland Falls and on to Mammoth Cave. We spent two nights at every place and by far we enjoyed our time at Carters Caves much better. The resort staff were very helpful and down to earth. We enjoyed the horseback riding and the hiking! I love the Quilts on the barns in this area! Very nice place to stay. My only complaint is the same i have for most state parks...... its time for makeovers!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Berea, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Needed to get away from the week's hard work so I made reservations at Carter Caves State Resort and then played Eagle Ridge or Yatesville State Park in Louisa and Hidden Cove at Grayson State Park. The Chip Shot works for me. I eat coming into town so the stay and play supported my need for a get-away and two rounds of golf.

Stayed June 2012
WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was at Carter Caves in the 1960's with my parents, in the 1980's as a parent and again in 2012 as a grandparent. It is a really beautiful park and very family friendly. Many activities - most of which cost a few dollars but are fun and entertaining. My big complaint about this park is that the trees are almost all pine trees - very little shade and if you're there camping on the wrong spot when the weather is really hot - it can be trying. The pool, which is generally fairly cold was a saving grace. When the temperature was 90+ the pool was 75 degrees - after you got in and got used to the water is did wonders for your body temperature!!!!!!! Great family park but if you don't know the campsites, before you make reservations check with the PARK itself about shaded sites. We ask the reservation company and their advise was really bad. Their recommended beautiful shady sites - weren't!!!!!!!

Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I couldn't find any place to write a review for the campground so I am adding it here... My family and I love this campground. I met my husband (almost 17 years ago) while camping here, and we try to make a trip back with our family every year. They have primitive sites as well as sites with full water and electric hook-ups (these cost a little extra). Even though we camp in tents, we choose spots with water and electric which makes for easier cooking and more child friendly amenities (recharging batteries for electronic devices used when the sun goes down). I would recommend looking at the online maps of the campsites. There are several sites that would make for great RV spots (shady, cool, good parking) that would make terrible sites for tents (extreme slopes, no grass, no shade, rain trenches, etc). You can book your spot online, ahead of time. I would suggest that you look at the map, look at the available pictures of the location, and then make your reservation. There are two bath houses, so I wouldn't worry so much about proximity to those, but you might also want to consider how close you will be to the playgrounds. There are guided cave tours, canoeing, mini-gold, horseback riding, and a pool (these cost extra). While we typically partake in at least a couple of these activities (the pool is very nice and one activity that we almost always do), there are more free/low cost activities that we also indulge in. When you check in, be sure to ask for the activity guide. This guide will give you information about all of the activities that are being sponsored in addition to the usual activities. For example, there was a free ice cream social and a dance party this past weekend. There are also hiking trails (free) around the entire park. We have done quite a few of these over the years, and they are all unique and quite beautiful. The best part is that most of them are quite cool even during the hottest part of the day. If you choose to hike in the evening, even during summer, I would suggest a light-weight jacket and I'd add pants if your planned to go on cave tour (there are several to choose from). Finally, I want to mention the cave-in movie this weekend. My son was thrilled with the idea of watching a (relatively recent) movie in a cave. I thought this was a clever idea, and he had a lot of fun. Finally, I cannot say enough about how family friendly this campground is. We will be going back, hopefully soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

The lodge rooms are nice, but do not have a mini-fridge in the rooms. Also, we were only offered rooms with 2 full beds, but for two people, we would have preferred a queen or king. The park has a lot to offer with activities, trails, fishing, mini golf, etc. The land bridges are worth the time to drive and walk or hike to. We did not eat in the dining room, but the menu looked good.

• Stayed June 2012
milton wv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We recently stayed here for a few days. Me, my mother and my 11yr old nephew.
The lodge itself is very nice looking, and is secluded. There's a good amount of parking space and the spaces up front were almost never full (good for my mother since she has trouble walking).
The room is clean and spacious. It's not much different from a hotel room, but it may have been a little bigger. The balcony is nice, and the view is decent but nothing special. The balconies aren't as private as I'd expected, since you can see through to the neighbor balconies, but it didn't bother us.
The air conditioner in the room actually *worked*. In most hotels we stay at, they don't work. But this one did. The windows in the room let in a lot of natural light. The bathrooms are decently sized. The heater in the bathroom was a nice touch, though we didn't use it since it's summer time. Would be good for colder seasons or kids, though.

We were a little annoyed, though, when we saw there was no mini-fridge or microwave available. Your only eating option in the park is to eat at the restaurant at the lodge, that's probably why there's no way to make your own food in-room. The menu was small, and they had very few vegetarian-friendly meals (excluding appetizers). They had a veggie wrap, a veggie platter, vegetable soup and a small salad bar (with canned peaches and melons). Good enough, but just because I'm a vegetarian, it doesn't mean I eat nothing but veggies. The food was expensive and just "average". It was $40, for all 3 of us. The waitress was friendly, though, and (who I suspect was) the manager was just as friendly, she gave my nephew free ice cream also. The only other options for food we found was to drive about 15-20 minutes to Subway.

The internet in the rooms kept going out the first night we were here. I hinted to a woman at the desk that it was supposed to be available in rooms, and she told us we had to use it in the lobby. It was hot in the lobby, it felt like the heater was on, and the music playing was horrid.
She said the reason for it being spotty in the rooms is because of the area, which is understandable but it's advertised as being available in the rooms. Strangely enough, after I complained a second time, the internet started working in-room again and continued to work throughout our stay.

Kids were stomping around upstairs all throughout the night. I personally watched one of them stomping on the balcony in front of the upstairs rooms, it was obvious to me that he was doing this just to annoy or anger people. I mentioned, loudly, to my nephew that people were too loud and he agreed, but of course it was ignored. I was woken up at 3am, 5am, and 10am by these kids, as they were staying in the room above us. My mother insisted I not complain about it, and I didn't. I doubt it would have done any good anyway. I would suggest asking for an upstairs room, so you don't have to listen to people above you walking around.

I guess this should be put here too, I don't know if I'm supposed to write a separate review or not.
The pool was nice. It was smaller than expected and fairly crowded but it was cold, which is good enough for us. There were some dead leaves in the water but nothing too dirty. There was music playing, but you couldn't really hear it over the people.
The tours were fun, too. The guides were friendly and informative and the caves were beautiful.
The whole park is gorgeous. Everything is kind of "mushed" together but you feel really secluded out here.

All in all, the lodge itself was decent. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't the worst place you can stay. I'd recommend it over other hotels. It's the same price or cheaper, and it's much nicer than hotels with similar prices.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carter Caves State Resort? Share your experiences!