“Great river view, average accommodations, staff needs improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Newport
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
“Great river view, average accommodations, staff needs improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spent 2 nights here for a wedding in April. It was OK for what it was, a place to stay in a convenient location. The hotel seems a little tired, especially in the common areas. The lobby is rather small, on the ground floor with the garage, and the common rooms for breakfast, business center and meeting rooms are on the 2nd floor. The hotel is right on the river, and if you pay a little extra you can get a room on the river side with spectacular views of the water and Cincinnati on the other side. You can walk into downtown Cincinnati and the sports venues across the "Purple People" bridge. There's also a shuttle for $1 that you can take to various locations. The room itself was clean and comfortable, free internet. Free parking, free breakfast. Windows in rooms do not open. Staff could use some training in "people skills", to make visitors feel welcome and valued, answer questions helpfully.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little extra for a river view room. Ask for a high floor so you can get the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Beattyville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had a one-night business trip to the Cincinnati area and had to be at my destination across the river at 7 a.m. the next day. Normally I won't stay in a downtown city-centric hotel like this, preferring instead to stay out in the suburbs, but I didn't want to fight traffic the next morning and I earned a stay toward a Choice Privileges free night, so I opted for this facility.

The hotel is oddly laid-out. There is only the office and a small lobby on the first floor, with some covered parking. Rooms start on the second floor, along with the breakfast area, business center, a larger lobby, etc. My room was a bit smaller than the average Comfort Suites room that I've stayed in before, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. Refrigerator and microwave were provided. Wi-fi was reasonably fast and dependable once I found a connection that actually gave me an IP address and let me connect to the Internet. There are some restaurants right next door (Joe's Crab Shack, Buckhead Mountain Grill, Burger King) and several more just down the street at Newport on the Levee.

Shower water pressure was below average, even for a hotel.

Rates are more than I would normally pay, but my employer paid for this stay so that wasn't an issue on this trip.

I wouldn't stay here if I was traveling for general purposes in the Cincinnati area, because there are better and cheaper choices out near Florence or Erlanger, but if I had to be back in the area for a similar purpose, or if I needed to stay in Newport for personal reasons and felt the location was worth the price, this wouldn't be a bad choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had stayed at the hotel because I attended the American Counseling Association conference in Cincinnati. It was so convenient to have the trolley (literally at the corner of the hotel) take us to the Duke Energy Convention Center! It was only $1 by the way!

The staff was extremely helpful, friendly and kind (even though I called just about 5 times a day for a week). They were knowledgeable and gracious.

It was convenient to have the Chart House (an upscale restaurant) behind the hotel because the food there was amazing! You get a free appetizer at the Chart House if you stay at the hotel which is a nice bonus! I also enjoyed the food options around the hotel (fast food doesn't hurt!).

There rooms were always clean. It was spacious. The shower ALWAYS had hot water. The room was well stocked with clean towels, sheets, and pillows. I made good use of the fridge, microwave, and hot water dispenser. I also enjoyed the table to do work and the sofa was comfortable!

I ENJOYED THE BREAKFAST OPTIONS! There was a wide array of food choices: bagels, muffins, danishes, waffles, eggs, sausage, English muffins, tea/coffee/hot chocolate/water/orange juice/cranberry juice, yogurt/granola, fresh fruit, different cereal options, etc. The dining hall also has an AMAZING view!!

I also enjoyed the separate office room for guests which I used to print (unlimited by the way). And also, FREE WIFI (all over the hotel) which was surprisingly decent and fast. No complaints there.

No I didn't have view (costs extra), however it was a business trip and I wanted a clean, comfortable, warm, welcoming place-- which is what I got.

I overall enjoyed the hotel and staff GREATLY. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

There aren’t too many hotels in the area to choose from if you want to be in the Newport area. This hotel is average. Nothing upscale. Rooms are clean, but the bed looked messy and slept in. We had a city view room – however room was still quiet and comfortable. Room had a nice heat/air. We like our rooms cool and this was easily done.

Staff is excellent, very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is in need of a make-over. The area was messy. Food wasn’t good and choices were few. 2 hot choices: runny scrambled eggs and diced ham chunks. Cereal choices were okay, but they ran out of two types on the first day and did not refill them. Ran out of milk on our second day.

Great area if you want to stay in Newport: Several restaurants in walking distance. In warm weather you could walk to the aquarium and shopping, and entertainment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you go for the lower rate your room will face a fairly noisy road. River views are not very exciting in the Winter and they go for about $50/night morebut they should be quieter. Don't think much of the breakfast buffet - only protein was hard-boiled eggs. Room was comfortable but bed looked like it had already been slept in right after housekeeping made it. Staff was not rude, but distant - no personality, all business. Most of the guest seemed to be tradespeople - AC installers, window replacers, etc. Would work well for the travelling family planning on activities in the Levee/Aquarium area, but not for business travel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night, last October while I was in town for the big game! Go Steelers! This hotel is in a great location as far as tailgating goes. We also took the trolly over to The Banks in Cincy to pre-game, which I think cost $1.00 each way. I would recommend staying here, and as a former Cincinnatian I can tell you this is the only hotel in Newport, KY that won't give you bed bugs.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the North
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
KENTUCKY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went to check in and the room was paid for us online by a family member. When we arrived they made us pay and would not accept the online payment because that person was not with us. Not sure what the point of paying online is if that is the case. I contacted the hotel after our stay to tell them about this but they never responded to us.

The room was nice and there is food nearby. The view from the room was great and the beds were fine. Everything was great except the customer service which is important in my mind. I would rather have great cutomer service and a crappy room more than anything else.

Either way, it was an ok stay. Just watch when you check in about how you book and all that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!