“I WOULD GO BACK!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Newport
Jersey City, New Jersey
“I WOULD GO BACK!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had stayed at the hotel because I attended the American Counseling Association conference in Cincinnati. It was so convenient to have the trolley (literally at the corner of the hotel) take us to the Duke Energy Convention Center! It was only $1 by the way!

The staff was extremely helpful, friendly and kind (even though I called just about 5 times a day for a week). They were knowledgeable and gracious.

It was convenient to have the Chart House (an upscale restaurant) behind the hotel because the food there was amazing! You get a free appetizer at the Chart House if you stay at the hotel which is a nice bonus! I also enjoyed the food options around the hotel (fast food doesn't hurt!).

There rooms were always clean. It was spacious. The shower ALWAYS had hot water. The room was well stocked with clean towels, sheets, and pillows. I made good use of the fridge, microwave, and hot water dispenser. I also enjoyed the table to do work and the sofa was comfortable!

I ENJOYED THE BREAKFAST OPTIONS! There was a wide array of food choices: bagels, muffins, danishes, waffles, eggs, sausage, English muffins, tea/coffee/hot chocolate/water/orange juice/cranberry juice, yogurt/granola, fresh fruit, different cereal options, etc. The dining hall also has an AMAZING view!!

I also enjoyed the separate office room for guests which I used to print (unlimited by the way). And also, FREE WIFI (all over the hotel) which was surprisingly decent and fast. No complaints there.

No I didn't have view (costs extra), however it was a business trip and I wanted a clean, comfortable, warm, welcoming place-- which is what I got.

I overall enjoyed the hotel and staff GREATLY. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

There aren’t too many hotels in the area to choose from if you want to be in the Newport area. This hotel is average. Nothing upscale. Rooms are clean, but the bed looked messy and slept in. We had a city view room – however room was still quiet and comfortable. Room had a nice heat/air. We like our rooms cool and this was easily done.

Staff is excellent, very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is in need of a make-over. The area was messy. Food wasn’t good and choices were few. 2 hot choices: runny scrambled eggs and diced ham chunks. Cereal choices were okay, but they ran out of two types on the first day and did not refill them. Ran out of milk on our second day.

Great area if you want to stay in Newport: Several restaurants in walking distance. In warm weather you could walk to the aquarium and shopping, and entertainment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you go for the lower rate your room will face a fairly noisy road. River views are not very exciting in the Winter and they go for about $50/night morebut they should be quieter. Don't think much of the breakfast buffet - only protein was hard-boiled eggs. Room was comfortable but bed looked like it had already been slept in right after housekeeping made it. Staff was not rude, but distant - no personality, all business. Most of the guest seemed to be tradespeople - AC installers, window replacers, etc. Would work well for the travelling family planning on activities in the Levee/Aquarium area, but not for business travel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night, last October while I was in town for the big game! Go Steelers! This hotel is in a great location as far as tailgating goes. We also took the trolly over to The Banks in Cincy to pre-game, which I think cost $1.00 each way. I would recommend staying here, and as a former Cincinnatian I can tell you this is the only hotel in Newport, KY that won't give you bed bugs.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the North
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
KENTUCKY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went to check in and the room was paid for us online by a family member. When we arrived they made us pay and would not accept the online payment because that person was not with us. Not sure what the point of paying online is if that is the case. I contacted the hotel after our stay to tell them about this but they never responded to us.

The room was nice and there is food nearby. The view from the room was great and the beds were fine. Everything was great except the customer service which is important in my mind. I would rather have great cutomer service and a crappy room more than anything else.

Either way, it was an ok stay. Just watch when you check in about how you book and all that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a double room that was large and clean. Separate sitting area with couch by windows. Staff was friendly and helpful. Located a quick 5 min drive to downtown Cincinnati. Paid the extra $20 for the river view which is very good at night. Be careful at check-in not to sign for the safe or you will be charged $15 a night - they ask you to sign without saying there is an extra charge for the safe. Cable and internet were out most of our stay which was annoying since the free wifi was one of the reasons I chose this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I went to Cincinnati the weekend of 1/19 for the boat & RV show. We did not have a reservation, but I had checked this hotel out on-line and had it in my sights as a possibility.
I am a big fan of Comfort Suites and this experience sealed the deal. In addition to a reasonable price, the free parking was a nice bonus and not a hike.

Catherine at the front desk is a real jewel and I hope some company executive sees these reviews praising her. She is amazing...helpful, friendly and there for the customer. But...at the same time...by taking care of the customer, she is taking care of the company's interest.

The room was amazing. The huge king size bed was one of the best hotel beds I have ever slept in especially at this price. The breakfast was also one of the better freebies I have experienced. I am a waffle lover and the batter didn't have that overly "malty" taste that some do. From what I saw, nice selection of cereal and my husband had the biscuits and gravy. Pretty good size room to enjoy it and the river view. You didn't feel like you were sitting on top of others.

To our surprise, Catherine was working the desk again for our check out. She assured me she DID go home and was just back for another shift. What a worker!!!! And just as sweet as the night before. We mentioned a minor problem and she made a written note and promised to act. Not just that "I'll pass that on" that you usually get...but a sincere promise to personally see it got done.

I will be back... and look forward to my next stay at this hotel.

** note to management...TAKE CARE OF CATHERINE!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!