“Ho Hum” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Newport
Virginia
“Ho Hum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you go for the lower rate your room will face a fairly noisy road. River views are not very exciting in the Winter and they go for about $50/night morebut they should be quieter. Don't think much of the breakfast buffet - only protein was hard-boiled eggs. Room was comfortable but bed looked like it had already been slept in right after housekeeping made it. Staff was not rude, but distant - no personality, all business. Most of the guest seemed to be tradespeople - AC installers, window replacers, etc. Would work well for the travelling family planning on activities in the Levee/Aquarium area, but not for business travel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night, last October while I was in town for the big game! Go Steelers! This hotel is in a great location as far as tailgating goes. We also took the trolly over to The Banks in Cincy to pre-game, which I think cost $1.00 each way. I would recommend staying here, and as a former Cincinnatian I can tell you this is the only hotel in Newport, KY that won't give you bed bugs.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the North
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
KENTUCKY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went to check in and the room was paid for us online by a family member. When we arrived they made us pay and would not accept the online payment because that person was not with us. Not sure what the point of paying online is if that is the case. I contacted the hotel after our stay to tell them about this but they never responded to us.

The room was nice and there is food nearby. The view from the room was great and the beds were fine. Everything was great except the customer service which is important in my mind. I would rather have great cutomer service and a crappy room more than anything else.

Either way, it was an ok stay. Just watch when you check in about how you book and all that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a double room that was large and clean. Separate sitting area with couch by windows. Staff was friendly and helpful. Located a quick 5 min drive to downtown Cincinnati. Paid the extra $20 for the river view which is very good at night. Be careful at check-in not to sign for the safe or you will be charged $15 a night - they ask you to sign without saying there is an extra charge for the safe. Cable and internet were out most of our stay which was annoying since the free wifi was one of the reasons I chose this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I went to Cincinnati the weekend of 1/19 for the boat & RV show. We did not have a reservation, but I had checked this hotel out on-line and had it in my sights as a possibility.
I am a big fan of Comfort Suites and this experience sealed the deal. In addition to a reasonable price, the free parking was a nice bonus and not a hike.

Catherine at the front desk is a real jewel and I hope some company executive sees these reviews praising her. She is amazing...helpful, friendly and there for the customer. But...at the same time...by taking care of the customer, she is taking care of the company's interest.

The room was amazing. The huge king size bed was one of the best hotel beds I have ever slept in especially at this price. The breakfast was also one of the better freebies I have experienced. I am a waffle lover and the batter didn't have that overly "malty" taste that some do. From what I saw, nice selection of cereal and my husband had the biscuits and gravy. Pretty good size room to enjoy it and the river view. You didn't feel like you were sitting on top of others.

To our surprise, Catherine was working the desk again for our check out. She assured me she DID go home and was just back for another shift. What a worker!!!! And just as sweet as the night before. We mentioned a minor problem and she made a written note and promised to act. Not just that "I'll pass that on" that you usually get...but a sincere promise to personally see it got done.

I will be back... and look forward to my next stay at this hotel.

** note to management...TAKE CARE OF CATHERINE!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great hotel to stay at before a Bengals game or a night out at the Levee. The room was clean and modern. Catherine at the front desk was fantastic and helpful. The free breakfast was tasty with a great view of the river. We will stay here again on an adults only weekend. Unfortunately, it does not have a pool so we'll have to look elsewhere when the kids come along. Great hotel with no complaints!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Prestonsburg, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is in walking distance of some good restaurants and "Newport On The Levy". The staff was friendly, the room was nice, and we paid the extra dollars for a room overlooking the river. It was worth it! Upon checking into the room, there were a few crumbs on the floor. That was the ONLY negative. beds were comfortable, wireless internet was fast, overall the room was very clean. Breakrast room was big with a nice selection of items. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river were a few dollars more but the view was worth it. We had a corner room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!