“Good food at good prices -” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Cincinnati
“Good food at good prices -”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Pompilios is a place to go when you are hungry - portions are quite ample and the food is prepared to your desire. The spaghetti sauce is excellent with just the right amount of spice. The bolonaise is exceptional and my husband has compared the cannoli with other italian places - it gets the top rating. Sure - an occasional meal might not be exactly right but frequent customers know that overall it can't be beat. It is crowded because the food is that good - most of these are probably repeat customers. If one experiences bad service - most likely it is just that the volume of customers exceeded expectations. We have always found the staff to provide good service. It is not gourmet food - just good home cooking. The Rigitoni Theresa is really good and more than ample in size. Go there for home cooked Italian (and that is Italian bread).

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Best meal in a LONG time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Husband and I went for dinner Saturday night.....about 8:15. Very busy, very crowded....but we love old places with character----and this one fit the bill. Luckily grabbed one of the few tables in the bar area to sit and wait (almost an hour), but enjoyed a drink and great feel of the place. Server was elderly woman who was very attentive and helpful. Husband order garlic/olive oil angel hair pasta with Italian sausage.......lite on the sausage, but otherwise he was extremely impressed with flavor and portion. I ordered the Italian sausage with rigatoni, provolone and onions/green peppers with red sauce............BEST MEAL EVER!!!!!!! Huge portion, great price ($12.99) and above all--delicious and hot. Wish they offered fresh bread instead of store-bought slices----maybe small loaves of Italian. My meal came with a salad.....I give it a C....although ranch dressing on side was amazing. We ordered a canoli to go------mouthwatering. Do not go if you are looking for an upscale place......Pompilio's is old and rustic (in more ways than one), but the food and service outweigh the lack of attention to decor and upkeep. We will be back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, Georgia
“Sunday Lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our 1st visit to the restaurant. My husband was interested in going because of the movie Rain Man being filmed here. We got here about 15 minutes after the restaurant opened. We came into the front door and found several of the staff sitting at a table smoking. I was VERY grateful when one of the employees stood up and asked if we wanted a non smoking table. If a non smoking table wasn't available, I would have left immediately since the cigarette smell was overpowering.

The host led us to a different dining room and seated us at a booth. The 1st thing you notice is how old the restaurant was. They have been in business for 75 years and some of their tables, mirrors and decor really showed the age. That wouldn't have been a problem but the place was dirty and run down. But what bothered me the most was that the silverware on the table was dirty. Both of our knives had residual grease on them.

We ordered an appetizer to share, the sampler platter and a pasta dish for me. My husband LOVED the meatballs and has decided the next time he goes back he will order them again. I had a special request to substitute scallops for the shrimp in my dish which was no trouble at all. Whenever I asked for something, the waitress was very attentive and quick. I was disappointed with my dish because it didn't offer much flavor. If I go back, I will ask for a heavier hand with the garlic and red pepper. I didn't like the Italian dressing since it tasted like nothing more than vinegar. However, my husband enjoyed the Italian dressing and he doesn't normally like any other italian dressing.

The tiramisu was AWESOME!!!!! Probably 1 of the best I have ever had. I would also recommend the spicy tomato sauce. It had a lot of flavor.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Union
“Horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food is wonderful here and you will get plenty to eat. We have been there a couple of times and the service always leaves me angry. I do not enjoy paying to eat somewhere where I am treated like they are doing me a favor by serving me. My last visit on Saturday will be my last visit ever. The service was horrible. Our food was plopped down in front of us and that was the last time we saw our waitress EVER. No "Can I get you something else?", No "Does everything look ok"? Nothing. Never once came by to check on us or see if we needed more drinks. Maybe the staff is "attentive" if you are a regular but we certainly didn't find them to be that way. Oh and we were there on an off time when it was NOT busy at all. I'm sure there are other good Italian restaurants in the area. The Rainman memorabilia is not worth the horrible service.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“WONDERFUL OLD WORLD ITAILIAN FLAVORS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have eaten at this great restaurant many times. Its my favorite place to take out of town visitors. The beautiful antique bar and old world atmosphere is outstanding.The pasta is homemade as well as sauces and the wonderful bread.Great place to watch "the game" during the winter months. During the summer there is a great outside eating area. You may even be lucky to catch a bocci ball game. Very informal and laid back so no need to dress.
Try this place I know you will love it.

• Visited January 2013