“Surprisingly nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Morehead
Kentucky
“Surprisingly nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I hadn't been to any HI property in about 30 years, so seeing as how hotel options in Morehead were limited, my expectations here were very low. However, I was really surprised by the hotel. The room was really big - if you put a small partial wall between the bed and couch, many hotels (like Hyatt Place) would have called it a suite. The bathroom was nice, and the kitchenette was good as well. A couple of weeks after this visit I stayed at a full-fledged Holiday Inn near Cleveland that was an absolute pit, so my love for this brand is still on the fence. However, if going to Morehead, this is a really nice hotel with a great location near the interstate, limited dining and necessity shopping (think Wal Mart). The campus is just a few minutes away as well, so if going to visit Morehead State this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
StaySmartStayYou, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morehead, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you were impressed by our property. We strive to make every experience a "WOW" moment. At Holiday Inn Express, no matter how small the town, we work effortlessly to keep our facilities as clean, modern, and up-to-date as possible. With amazing guests like you, we are able to continue working harder to stand out above our competition.

Thank you for visiting us when you stopped in the area. We already miss you and hope that you come back for another visit in the future.

Have a S.M.A.R.T. and terrific day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I was visiting my daughter in Morehead one more time before she leaves to go to Graduate School. I love this little town and enjoying walking to the different shops. We had a great lunch at the Fuzzy Duck and a wonderful dinner at the Buffulo Wild Wings. We topped it off to a movie at there new theater. It has stadium seating and reminds me of being in a tinsletown.

My daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It was a very nice hotel, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and our room was very clean. They had a continential breakfast with all sorts of goodies. We fell in love with the pancake machine and they were so good that I had to fix two more. If your a guy you would have loved the eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy. Everything tasted so good.
I would recommend this hotel and I plan to go back.

Room Tip: No tip needed, the whole place was nice.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
What wonderful guests you all were! We truly appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay. We only wish that we could have gotten to know you better. We hope that all your travels were safe and exciting.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Peace, Love, and Cinnimon Rolls!
Morehead, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The Holiday Inn Express in Morehead was excellent. I needed a hotel room for one night while visiting Morehead State University and I don't think I could have picked a better place to stay! The beds are super comfy, the bathroom was nice, the room was clean and stylish, there was free coffee in the room and a mini fridge, and best of all - FREE breakfast in the morning with a wide selection of hot breakfast items as well as fruit and cereal! There is also a nice indoor pool to swim in, but you might want to bring your own beach towel as the pool towels are a bit small. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We needed an overnight stop during a roadtrip. We picked the hotel based on location and other reviews. Overall, it was a good choice. Location was right off I64 and close to food. Check-in and the room were both very nice. Only negative was the strong smell of cigarette smoke in the 2nd floor hallway. It was barely noticeable in the room, but if you are sensitive to it, you won't like the walk from the elevator to your room. At first we assumed it was just residual, but it was there every time we were in the hall. It didn't bother us and we would stay here again for an overnight, but I suspect some people would be unhappy

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We had gotten rooms at the Quality and it was a huge mistake...(read their review) so I ran across the road and was pleased to find the holiday had some rooms available. The guy at the front desk was very nice and was able to accommodate us very well. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Madison Heights, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I never expected to be one of those people who complain about odors in hotel rooms. Sometimes thee is an odor when you open the door, but it is quickly forgotten. That was not the case here.A strong perfumey odor emanated constantly from the air conditioning unit or vicinity. I noticed it when i entered room, and I woke up during the night smelling it. The carpet seemed quite damp, so I am reasonably sure something was used to cover mildew odors or dry out the room. We accepted the room and did not tell anyone about it until check-out, so I really can't complain very much. The front desk lady said they used nothing but Comet to clean the rooms and that, perhaps, the odor came from the flowers outside the window. OK, whatever. Unlike some other contributors to this site, I found the room (109) to be in perfect condition. Furniture was relatively new, as were the refrigerator and microwave.Mattresses are a matter of personal taste, so I won't comment on that. Breakfast was excellent, and the breakfast lady was attentive and friendly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I was to be working in Morehead area for 3 days. Reservation was made by the company I contract with. The young man, Trey, who checked me in the first night was very friendly, helpful, gracious. M y room was clean, smoke-free, very pleasant. At bedtime I realized I'd forgotten a toothbrush. Of course Trey pleasantly supplied one for me. Slept well in a very comfortable bed with, my fave - white bedding!
In the a.m., I realized I'd forgotten deodorant - and it was to be another 90-degree day! I dressed and went down for breakfast, ready to head out to work afterward. Stopped at the desk, asked for and received a deodorant. Went to the nearby bathroom to apply; At a good, hot, FREE breakfast, headed out to work.
I'd left a tip in the room for housekeeping. It was still there when I returned, though the room was well taken care of. A note said they could not take money that did not state specifically that it was a tip, signed by someone from housekeeping. I called the desk to see if she would be working the next day - she would. I found note paper, wrapped the tip in it and noted that it was a tip her. Wrapped a 2nd tip in another notepaper and stated it was a tip for "today's" housekeeper. Left both on the desk.
The 2nd day, ended up getting finished with all work and back to the motel shortly before 1:00pm. Asked if I could still check out and not pay the 3rd night's rent. The desk clerk said sure.. Went up to pack quickly and check out. Saw a maid in the hallway and asked if it was "name" bye name. It was, so I spoke to her about the tips. She was very gracious and thankful for the tip, and had left me a note expressing thanks. Packed up and headed home, saving the company I contract with a night's rent -- they'd better be grateful, too!
Breakfast both mornings very good. All areas were clean and pleasantly decorated. Even the parking lot was clean. Staff was outstanding. I travel quite a bit and know good property, furnishings, free food, and staff when I encounter it. This place measured up VERY well. Nice indoor pool that I did not use.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Morehead? Share your experiences!