“Below Par Hampton” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Morehead
Staunton
“Below Par Hampton”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Okay--this was fine for a stop just to sleep on my epic roadtrip but way below what I am accustomed to for a Hampton Inn. The bottom of the tub creaked so loudly that you could hear it in the bedroom when someone was showering. There was no regular coffee for the coffeemaker ( a huge deal for me!) Breakfast bar coffee ran out and the coffee available near the desk had been made HOURS earlier (I know this because my daughter who was with me has managed a coffee shop and could translate the "bells & whistles" on the machine.

Worst thing was that upon arriving late & quite tired, the elderly (nothing wrong with that though) gentleman behind the front desk kept taking phone calls before checking me in. There was someone else in front of me waiting also. Each of the 3 calls taken while we waited were rather lengthly with the desk clerk going into some depth about the rates, etc. If only these callers had been politely put on hold while we were checked in, it would have made a huge difference! I am a "gold" Hhonors member and literally just needed to be handed my room key/card.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Robert H, Manager at Hampton Inn Morehead, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
I am so sorry we were not able to exceed your expectations. I have spoken with the desk clerk about the importance of a quick and courteous check in. We have had some issues with creaky bathroom floors since we have opened and we are looking for a fix.

I hope you give us another shot to "Wow" you in the future.

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edison, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The purpose for our stay was to pick up and move out our daughter from her college. We drove all the way from New Jersey to pick her up in Kentucky and drove back home the following day. It felt great to finally relax after an extremely tiring ten hour drive. The beds were very comfortable, the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and the food (breakfast) was delicious... My daughter also enjoys the fresh baked cookies that the staff has at the entrance to the hotel. Our check in process was simple and easy. I had a great experience the one night that my family and I stayed here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Elliott Co., KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hampton Inn is the newest hotel in Morehead, KY. This was the second time we had stayed here. The room was very clean and quiet despite the fact that the hotel was booked and full. While checking in we overheard the front desk turn two different guests away that didn't have reservations because they only had 2 smoking rooms left. I would suggest they go completely non-smoking. They did offer to let each of the potential nonsmoking guests go examine the room to decide about taking the last available rooms. The beds were very comfortable and provided a good nights sleep.

• Stayed May 2013
Batavia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is in our opinion, the best in Morehead. It is where we will stay if our son goes to the University. They truly go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and secure in your stay. Everything is up to technology standards, and they even checked my fridge for me because I was unsure of the tempurature. This despite other more pressing situations they had at hand. Excellent!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was an unexpected delight! From the capable gentleman Rick who took my reservation over the phone, and then took time to tell me about the area and local eateries. Clean rooms, comfortable beds and within walking distance to Cracker Barrel (ask for Susannah for your server- she was OUTSTANDING!) A plus!

• Stayed March 2013
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed in this April 5-7 hotel as part of a large group.
Pros:
The staff was really wonderful. Very nice! The housekeeping staff was really exceptional. We were very happy with how clean everything was. The breakfast buffet was great. The gentleman that was watching over it was really on the ball. The rooms are very nice. The grounds are very nicely kept. The pool and fitness center was very well maintained.

Cons:
* On the 1st night the 3rd floor hallway was very warm and smelled strongly like cigarettes. On the 2nd night the hallway was even warmer and smelled funky. Not sure exactly what it was but thank goodness it did not spill in to our room. We were not the only ones who noticed it, there were several people talking about it in the elevator.
* The doors to the rooms do not have a soft closer. They SLAM every time someone walks out. And I mean LOUD. You can hear them from down the hall. My husband has a hard time sleeping and every time someone went in or out of their room the door slammed and woke him up. I think they should install some kind of door closer that closes the doors much softer. That would make a HUGE difference.

But all in all the stay was really nice. I would stay there again any time. We will be returning next year and will probably stay at the same Hampton Inn. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Boardman, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I stay there frequently as our daughter is attending Morehead State.
Recently, my wife lost a cherished keepsake down the 3rd floor shower drain, The maintenance staff responded quickly and was able to retrieve it for her from the drain. We thought it was gone forever. We are very grateful to "Bobby" for going that extra step!
The Staff is always courteous and friendly. The rooms are great and the price is good for the quality of this hotel. I strongly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Robert H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Morehead, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for the kind words you have given about our hotel. Bobby is an outstanding individual and an excellent maintenance man, so I am so glad he was able to retrieve your precious piece of jewelry. We strive to meet and exceed all of our guests needs. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Morehead...GO EAGLES!!

Robert Humphries, GM

Been to Hampton Inn Morehead? Share your experiences!