“Fantastic food, atmosphere and staff” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
“Fantastic food, atmosphere and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The willow tree has become a regular haunt for us. Your always guaranteed excellent food and an outstanding customer experience. The staff are always very friendly and can't do enough to make you feel welcome. So if good food and lovely atmosphere is what your after, this is the place to be. Always look forward to returning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Doncaster. Uk
“Family get together.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Our first visit to the Willow Tree.what a great evening we had.the food was excellent and nicely presented.The Landlord and his Staff was very friendly.I would certainly recommend this very quaint English pub and restaurant. Well worth a visit.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Should be encouraged”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were somewhat apprehensive visiting this restaurant, due to the mixed reviews and the rather angry, combative tirades a few contributors have been subjected to, no matter how well justified.

The Willow Tree is a village pub, and its a compliment that locals continue to patronise it, as well as that visitors make the effort to come - its well out of the way and not on a route to anywhere.

It has a rather austere feel, although the staff are helpful, smiley and efficient giving what feels like a personal service. In fact we didn't hear a single "no problem" all evening (that popular synonym for "I couldn't care less") and this was was an immense relief.

The food was very nearly "excellent" (thoughtful recipes & careful preparation) especially the mushroom wellington and the tasty fresh salad. The steak was well cooked and served with a pleasant sauce. However, we thought the vegetables were rather too bland. Perhaps that's the salt police at work - we'd risk the direst of consequences for better flavours!

Regrettably, although the vegetarian dish was enterprising, it was the only veggie choice on the menu. The staff explained that they have little demand for vegetarian meals - sounds like an old fashioned chicken & egg style cop-out to me.

The menu is otherwise surprisingly varied - even a couple of blackboard specials - since the owner/chef/brewer seems to insist on personally peeling every potato and slicing every tomato himself. Whilst this clearly satisfies his need for control, we suspect that some modest delegation & careful management might eliminate our modest gripes.

However, we feel that this restaurant's ethos of locally sourced, seasonal food all prepared on the premises (to say nothing of the on-site micro brewery) are together thoroughly commendable and should be encouraged for its diversity, if nothing else.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Atmosphere bypass, food average, obliging service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Went for Saturday lunch. A party of 3. Only two other customers in the pub when we arrived. Quiet village location doing locally onsite brewed "Handley" beer on tap. Music in background was modernly morose. Ordered drinks with my wife having a house Sauvignon Red Wine and some food. My initial reaction was the food choice looked "limited". My wife wanted to go to the Hare and Hounds at Fulbeck; however, I pushed my choice on this occasion and I have to admit I got it wrong. The staff were obliging enough but I'm looking for some "life" in venues I eat at. On this occasion, it didn't happen for us. I may have been unlucky and I want to reiterate that I really want local business eateries to succeed in the current climate. Sadly, I'm describing it the way it was on the day. Other visitors may be luckier. Tom C Notts

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newark
“Good .....but nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Visited The Willow Tree on the strength of Its Trip Advisor rating. A very nice pub with a local feel but the ambience was not as good as it could easily have been. The bar was cold, on not a particularly cold evening and the restaurant area was warm in temperature but not in atmosphere. The food was mixed (I liked mine but she wasn't too impressed) which, to be fair, is par for the course! The bill was very modest which helped - but we hsdn't really gone for a cheap night out. Acceptable overall, but I was expecting better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere