“Very enjoyable evening. Outstanding food.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Varanese is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,440 Restaurants in Louisville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Vernon
Transit: Varanese has a TARC stop in front along with a Frankfort Ave. Trolly Hop Stop.
Description: Varanese Restaurant is located in the historic Clifton neighborhood and features an eclectic menu of New American Cuisine using local organic products, prepared by Owner/Chef John Varanese. The restaurant opened in 2007 and has recently completed a renovation and can comfortably seat 150 guests between its bar, dining room and four seasons patio. Open 7 days a week - Sunday through Thursday from 5:00pm to 11:00pm, and Friday and Saturday 5:00pm to midnight.
Louisville, Kentucky
“Very enjoyable evening. Outstanding food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Our server Ed was fantastic. Nice to meet the chef. Very personable. Food was great. No complaints at all. We'll be back.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Glad to hear it. Thanks so much for the review!

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great wine, food and friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I had been to Varanese before so when we were going with our friends, all 16 of us, we took them there for a wonderful dinner. On this trip we were there on a Saturday but the previous one on a Sunday. It is one of the few great restaurants in Louisville open on Sunday!

Visited March 2014
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your review, and for mentioning that we are open on Sunday. It's nice that there is an option for fine dining on a Sunday night, isn't it?
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Sophisticated Southern Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My daughter and I were in Louisville this weekend for a 10K. I'm a Kentucky native transplanted to Cincinnati for the last 25 years. While in town, I wanted a nice place for dinner Saturday night where I could visit with my parents, sisters and their spouses. I wanted a place most of us had never been with a menu to please all, both in price and selection. And I wanted high quality without the stuffy ambiance that often accompanies high end. I chose Varanese after an online search of Louisville restaurants. Nailed it! The most common comment I heard around our table was how fresh everything tasted. And our entrees had unique flavors from bourbon infusions to cracklin' toppings (yep, had to ask what "cracklin" was). Varanese has intriguing daily specials, which takes a great menu to a WOW menu. On this particular night, scallops had arrived fresh from Hawaii earlier in the day. Huge sea scallops! Melt-in-your-mouth scallops. Yum! From the salads to the soups to the entrees (we were too stuffed for dessert), we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The staff was happy to answer our questions and seemed genuinely interested in our dining experience. There's nothing better than trying a new restaurant and being 100% satisfied. The jazz band was a bonus. I'm thinking there may be a road trip in the future so I can bring my husband next time. It is that good!

Visited March 2014
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
We're so grateful for your incredibly descriptive and wonderful review. It's everything the restaurant and John hopes to achieve and share with our guests. This just makes our day! Thank you.
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great for an Anniversary or Splurge Night.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Went here with a giftcard that I received my work and my wife still talks about how delicious it was. We've been back twice and are always impressed. Great, professional service, delicious food, a must for locals.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Randy B, Public Relations Manager at Varanese, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We appreciate your nice review and that you've returned so often after using your gift card. Thanks again!
North Vernon, Indiana
“Terrific dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Salmon dishes were amazing and the service by Ed was very nice. Only dislike is I live an hour + away from this gem!

Visited February 2014
Thanks so much for the nice review. Hope to see you again soon despite the travel time!