“It is not the hotel that is bad. Its the area thats bad!!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Louisville Downtown
120 W. Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Old Louisville)   |
Ranked #63 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky
“It is not the hotel that is bad. Its the area thats bad!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

The Hotel is huge and a nice place to stay. However, The location is terrible. NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE WALKING AROUND AFTER DARK!!! I think the Louisville Police should be doing more to keep this area safe!!! Also Like to add one more thing. The Mc Donald across the street from the Hotel Louisville Downtown was terrible!! While my daughter and I were eating at this Mc Donalds, There were a lot of street people coming up asking for money. Yes, this was inside and outside of the Mc Donalds!!
Like I said, The area needs to be cleaned up!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

When I walked in I failed to conceal that I was in a hurry. That not only put the nice lady behind the counter in slow mode but she blankly stated "he'll take care of you". Check in was slow and there was not so much as a smile. My reciept was hand written and that was fine. The steril greeting and no smile were strong first impressions. When I got to my room it had been serviced but there were no towels, washcloths or floormats for the bathroom. No problem. I saw service people outside who quickly and very politely set me up. When I went to make a cup of coffee there was no coffee. No problem, I had my own but there was no caraffe, no filters, no basket. I had a few things to overlook and I'm good at that so I moved on. It was stuffy in the room and it smelled like food but I pressed on. The thermostat required a visit from maintenance and worked in reverse. He was cool but the air quality was noteworthy. When I returned later that evening with my wife she noted the unsavory dudes hanging around outside but we both know that's not a good barometer for a nice stay. I said nothing but let her observe for herself the lack of hospitality when we walked in...just to reassure myself that I wasn't imagining things. I wasn't. When we got to the room we discovered the origin of the food smell. It was three styrofoam boxes of old Italian food that had been missed by cleaning staff. I hadn't seem my wife in weeks and that...was a bummer. I'll skip the rest but I will say that my wife had a good point when she said "I think that everyone in contact with guests should have to stay one night at one of the high end hotels in the area. It would be easy to arrange and it would help everyone understand what it means to run such an establishment. It would increase EVERYONE'S skill level." Also, to wear a white shirt and black pants gives guest a feeling of professional uniformity and it's as easy as a short trip to a local Salvation Army. They wouldn't even have to be perfectly matched. White up top, black on bottom. When a guest walks in you smile, say hello, welcome them to Hotel Louisville, say-your-name and ask engaging questions as you quickly begin the check in process. Get them on their way and convince them you are there to help and to call if they need anything. Do not permit staff to text while in eyeshot of guests. Some hotels do not permit staff to read books behind the counter, only a local newspaper so that they're informed of local attractions, traffic, events, etc. That helps them be of better service to guests whereas a novel will not. I saw someone reading a book behind the service desk and almost offered that tip but though...'no, let them figure it out'. I drank myself homeless some years ago so this is not coming from a person of high maintenance at all. All the best to you and your staff. A VERY worthwhile cause.

Room Tip: Have a staff member escort you to your room and do a sweep to ascertain that it's been serviced...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Owensboro, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My stay was heartwarming and and I felt safe. I have read some reviews and I am disappointed in the judgement of the staff. I actually was staying there with the help of the Hospitality House. They help people from out of town that need help with cheaper rates on rooms that are caring for and visiting loved ones in area Hospitals. Particularly Jewish Hospital. While I did not receive room service or the same benefits of the guest of the Hotel Louisville I was very comfortable with my stay and ate in the dining room and the Waycool Cafe and was pleased with everything. Therefor I cannot provide a review based on being a guest of Hotel Louisville. I can still say it is a nice place to stay if you need great rates. My 5 year old daughter is very curious and we wandered all over the Hotel. There is nothing unsafe about it. The staff was great. I want to say thank you to everyone that made us feel welcome even though we were there as Hospitality House guest instead of Hotel Louisville guest. I think it is wonderful that they have different programs that help the unfortunate. Thank you to Hospitality House and to Hotel Louisville staff for all you do. Keep up the good work.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Some other reviews made me a little wary of staying here, but I had a great experience and you can't beat the price. Everyone was polite. The room was clean, if a little threadbare. I never felt like I was in danger. They even had a woman playing the piano in the lobby. I think it's a great project to support.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I can't say enough about the wonderful people who work at the hotel. We did not meet 1 person who was unfriendly or unwilling to assist us in any way possible. A BIG THANKL YOU to each and every one who played a part in our stay..
The cleanliness was a concern as far as the bathroom, shower curtains, bedding etc. However I am aware the Hotel Louisville Downtown has only been up and running for approximately 8 months so I know there will be a lot of improvements during the forthcomning months. The Wayside Ministry is doing such a wondeful job with everyone who is involved with ministry. God bless each and everyone of you and we hope your vision keeps moving forward in a positive way. Blessings

Room Tip: Ther is no help I can render on this topic, sorry
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Wells, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My daughter and I traveled to Louisville for a Dream Factory meeting. We were very impressed with the whole concept of the program. Everyone we dealt with at the hotel was exceptional, very helpful and friendly. Especially Priscilla in the dining room. What an inspirational women.

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Comerio, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over the US and around the world, but I have never - I mean NEVER - left one before so filled with enthusiasm for what they are doing there and for my experience. I intend to urge all my friends to take advantage of this amazing place if they travel anywhere close to Louisville.

First, the hotel is based on compassion for homeless people. Many of the rooms are used by women with children, of whom I met at least 15-20, all of them friendly, clean, courteous, and obviously grateful for the love they have found here. Second, that love is reflected to the paying customer continually - in the quality of the rooms, the friendliness of the staff, the beauty of the grand piano music being played by a volunteer in the lobby, the delicious coffee and continental breakfast served in the dining room, and much more. Having grown used to the professional courtesy of standard hotels run for profit, I had not realized what a difference it could make when a customer is also treated like a member of one's family, with warmth and love as well as commercial courtesy.

I love the place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Louisville Downtown? Share your experiences!