“Great hotel, nice character” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 20%!
Ranked #29 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
“Great hotel, nice character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

The Seelback was a great hotel with a lot of character. You are able to tell instantly that the hotel is very old, but there are ongoing improvements and there are completed improvements, which made the rooms very modern and comfortable. Upon check in we were upgraded to a king size bed and provided two tickets for breakfast (up to $15) and two drinks (up to $10). The location of the hotel is very good as it is in walking distance to many bars and restaurants. During out stay, the fitness center was closed, but I understand the YMCA is close and will allow a day pass free of charge. We had breakfast in the lobby restaurant, and it was very good although we originally wanted to do the buffett, but due to low traffic in the hotel, it was closed.

• Liked — Loved the character of the hotel, the room was very nice and the staff are great.
  • Disliked — Fitness center was closed
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2008

THis is a great hotel with all the amenities. It was a well furnished room that has that wam feeling of comfort. I stayed one night during the christmas week, (Christmas Eve and -mas Day.
The staff is exceptionally helpful and friendly! Beautiful hotel like they say. There was minor refurbishment work going on in the lobby, however, I hardly noticed because all the other historic scenery. It is beautiful. My room was just a litlle small for me but ok. Also the Bathroom was small but still adequate. Big enough for only one person. Inspite of the smallness of the room it was exceptionally comfortable! As an individual business traveller I had no problem with it. My wife an I travel some and this would have barely been comfortable for the two of us. Maybe they have bigger rooms I dont know.
The real downside for me was, I could hear the people nextdoor, like they were in the bathroom talking, plain as day. Sometime early morning, I was able to share they're intimate moment. Since I had gotten in from my flight at 2:30am, I wasnt thrilled about it. There may have been recent soundproofing done in the hotel, however, just not on the 7th floor.
In spite, I'll give this hotel good ratings just because of the great Artistic and Historic past.

• Liked — Amenities and Views, Area downtown
  • Disliked — NO SOUND PROOFING
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

Great hotel, clean,upscale, friendly,reasonable, and well located.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We just got home from spending one night at the Seelbach and what a disappointment. We stayed there about 5 years ago and it was such a different experience-one that we had hoped to recapture since it was our wedding anniversary and we wanted a luxurious treat.

Upon arrival, valet service was prompt although pricey. The gentleman at the desk was very nice, however, we made three trips up and down the elevator due to his error which rsulted in our key cards not working and after "fixing" it we walked in to an occupied room. Thank heavens no one was there!

We were on the concierge level, but when I called the Concierge phone line to ask for assistance with getting tickets to a local attraction no one answered the phone and I was asked to leave a message. Ughh!

We had hoped to enjoy the complimentary appetizers, but we actually lost our appetite after visiting the room. Let me say the $2 glass of wine was nice and generously poured, however, the appetizers were a joke. Crackers and cheese (odd assortment of cheeses) and an empty warmer that we were told would be filled again soon. The room was pleasantly decorated, but had an odd smell my husband swears was urine. We decided to drink our wine in our room and stop back for the hot appetizer-which ended up being pigs-in-a-blanket. I was embarassed.

We went on an urban ghost tour that night which listed the Seelbach as a stop and and that was pretty fun to hear the stories about the Lady in Blue who supposedly haunts the eighth floor.

All in all, we still had a decent night's rest and wish the management all the best in restoring it's service and grandeur. I would hesitate to go back soon though. They have a lot of work ahead of them.

• Liked — Lobby is beautiful
  • Disliked — Expectations of a 5 star hotel were not met on many levels.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I've stayed in this hotel several times in the past several years and have noticed its steady decline. There are fewer employees; the rooms are increasingly in disrepair; and the quality of service has suffered.

When my wife and I arrived at 11:30 pm on Friday, there was no one at the door, no one at the bell stand, and no one at the front desk. Instead, next the the front desk, was a kiosk where I had to swipe my credit card to get our room keys.

As we had a vehicle that needed to be parked in the garage, we had to wait for several minutes before summoning an employee to get someone to park our vehicle.

When we arrived in the room, the shelf in the bathroom was broken, the shower head was coming from the wall, some of the electrical outlets didn't work.

The next morning, our key didn't work to give us access to the concierge floor, which we paid for, because there was no one at the front desk the night before. So, we had to go to the front desk the next morning for someone to issue new room key cards.

When we arrived at the concierge room, there was only one employee, terribly overworked, who struggled to keep the room tidy and keep poor quality breakfast fare out for the guests.

The concierge breakfast was poorer in quality than any Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, or comparable motel at which we have stayed, and a significant decline from previous stays.

Also, continuing one of my pet peeves in hotels with rooms in excess of $200 a night, I'm forced to pay $10 a day for internet service.

The last time I stayed at the Brown Hotel, down the street, it was far superior. So, this will be the last time (even as a Hilton Club Rewards Gold member) that we stay at the Seelbach.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

The first warning was the shabby, dirty (formerly) red carpet on the stairs of the hotel's main entrance. It should have been replaced months ago. That was the introduction to what may be an historic hotel but is now an old, dingy one. Too bad, because the location is excellent across from the well-done Fourth Street Live. Didn't dine at the Oak Room, which is supposed to be good, but the other restaurant, Otto's, is devoid of character and evidently had no thought put into its design.

Stayed August 2008
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

I have stayed on business at the Seelbach Hilton and it's always been an accommodating hotel. I never feel like I'm in a chain when I step into the Seelbach - it feels old-world and glamorous, but also offers all the modern conveniences of a Hilton. I used the complimentary airport shuttle, which was prompt at arriving, and it took only about 15 minutes to get to the hotel. I love the fact that the hotel is just across the street from 4th Street entertainment complex - the bowling at Lucky Strike was really fun, and I ate at the Hard Rock as well. I never got to eat at the Oakroom at the Seelbach, but the lobby bar was really nice. I have also used the Starbucks on the first floor. I would recommend asking for a higher floor that does not face 4th Street, as there is some outside noise. Otherwise, I have had overall positive experiences at the Seelbach. It's a big hotel, but it gives the perfect taste of downtown.

• Liked — Location, free shuttle, old world charm
  • Disliked — Noisy on 4th Street side, very busy hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Seelbach Hilton? Share your experiences!