“Good to stay once or twice” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now and Save 20%!
Ranked #32 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Nashville, Tennessee
“Good to stay once or twice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The parking was pretty good for a downtown hotel. After you locate the garage by a couple turns around the block, it's right behind the hotel and convenient to get in the back door. It seemed that the front of the hotel had no ramp for luggage so you could not use the carts to take in luggage if you had that much. Wheeling it all in from the garage was tedious. I know this does not bother business travelers but we were there with two small kids and I would not recommend this hotel for families. Otherwise, the history of the hotel is cool to walk around and look at. The location is very good for downtown events. There ARE some cracks in the doors :), the elevators are old and really small, The room we had was pretty small and had a small bathroom but turned out to be okay. The bed and covers were top rate. The charm of the place balanced it out. Walking around the hotel you are struck with old age and history. Which one you like or dislike the most determines your stay I think. Some things are not up to the maintenance levels they should be, but it's an old place. Not as kept up as a few other historic hotels I have been in. I give it four stars and say try it a time or two, but I like a couple of other ones in the area for my needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Peter D, Guest Relations Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Our sincere thanks for taking a moment to share your experience! I'm glad you and your family selected the Seelbach Hilton for your accommodations. It sounds like you had a mixed experience and I wanted to take a moment to address a few of your concerns.

In regards to parking, I apologize if any of our staff failed to suggest that you pull into the valet area in front of the hotel to check in and unload luggage. Our Front Desk, Valet and Bell staff are trained to inform guests of the availability of temporary parking in the valet area to allow guests to check in and unload luggage. I agree that it can certainly be a more tedious and cumbersome task to bring in luggage from the garage, especially with little ones! As such, we offer both valet and self parking guests the time in the valet area to check in and unload luggage, and then park accordingly.

I apologize as well for any disrepair you may have found with the guest room door. This summer marks the beginning of a major capital upgrade, as we are replacing all guest room doors. Come see us again within the next year as this project should be finished! This is one of many current and recent projects to improve the hotel. We have just replaced all mattresses in the last 3 months and all linens and pillows in the last 9 months. Thank you for noticing these with your "top rate" marks.

We work tirelessly to execute top notch maintenance of this iconic hotel, especially in the areas that our guests bring to our attention. It is this type of feedback that allows us the opportunity to improve the service for each future guest, hopefully for another 109+ years!

Thank you again for your business. I hope that you give us another opportunity beyond the once or twice try. Please reach out to myself or any of our management team to assist in preparing a more comfortable and enjoyable experience for your next trip to Louisville.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Holland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed three nights at this very nice and clean hotel. The hotel was packed because there was a huge music festival going on along with USA gymnastics championship. While the valets are numerous, the front desk usually had two people and sometimes one. Not enough to deal with the number of people in the hotel. While the bar is expensive, despite there only being one server in a packed bar, we were taken cared of on a Friday night. Had breakfast and lunch a t the restaurant and thought the food was average and expensive.
The location of this hotel is great and you can walk to many bars and restaurants on 4th Street Live.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Peter D, Guest Relations Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts from your recent stay. We take all feedback to heart and do our best to turn these opportunities into a better guest experience, both for you on your next stay, and all future guests.

In regards to Front Desk staffing, I apologize if there was any unnecessary wait or delay in service. We have taken this feedback to heart and we have just hired two new team members that will assist at the Front Desk (one Guest Services Agent and one Guest Services Manager).

I'm sorry to hear that the food was not exceptional. We change our menus often and always love feedback for specific items which do and do not hit the mark.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you and your family have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Millville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Seelbach is a beautiful hotel. The staff most friendly. helpful and courteous. The location is perfect for easy walk to great restaurants, bars and entertainment. I would highly recommend to everyone

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Good morning! Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback and such high marks for your recent stay. I trust that you and your friends enjoyed your experience in Louisville and we look forward to your next stay. It is the "highly recommend to everyone" that we receive from guests like you that we truly cherish. It is also what has kept us in business since 1905!

Craig Reeves
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Spent several days here for business conference. Initially I was into the history and elegance of the hotel.

Then I started noticing the details were lacking.

The rooms are small and dated. They have been painted before and all the chrome still has paint on it. The phones are old and falling apart. The doors still have the charm of the room service box through the doors but the service platters are too big to fit in them. Only reason I knew that because of all the food platters sitting in the hall the whole time I was there. The lamps have plugs in the for your use. But they are plugged into the wall which is controlled by the room light switch. The plug in the walls barely hold anything you plug them into

Now the beds are great. Soft and comfortable along with the pillows

The bathrooms are poorly put together the shower you have to hug the wall to get wet. It's crammed to say the least

The lobby is great probably the best part of the hotel other than The Old Seelback Bar. The bartender at the bar was nice and we talked about the signature drinks. Was a great experience. The

The conference center areas were nice but not overly excited. The bathrooms for the conference area were bad. The plumbing must have a problem cause the stalls always were clogged. What started me looking around the hotel and lack of details was this bathroom. The faucets were loose from the countertops. You go to turn the water on and they would shake.

I didn't get to experience the oak room as I was hoping to see the Capone Room. It was closed and the next night I went in and they were open but wouldn't show it during open hours

The Rathskeller was neat we had a reception there. If these walls could speak I wish I could be there.

I think this was a neat place for the reception but with a large group you can't hear yourself talk due to the acoustics of the arched ceilings

The staff for the reception bar was not friendly. The bar was poorly stocked and you had to buy tickets to buy drinks.

The staff at the lobby was great, helpful and would tell you all you wanted to know about the hotel

In all I've been to several historic hotels but after getting to stay in it.

Sorry Seelback I'm sure you were "the place" back in the day but I wasn't impressed

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for the feedback! We appreciate such a thorough response with both highlights and opportunities for us to improve. Thank you for the lovely compliments for the Rathskeller, Old Seelbach Bar and the team members with whom you interacted. Our thanks as well for highlighting the comfortable bed and pillows. We have installed brand new mattresses hotel wide within the last 3 months, and all new pillows in the last 9 months.

Thank you as well for bringing to our attention some of the details that we can improve upon. We work tirelessly to fix and improve upon items such as plumbing, loose faucets, loose outlets etc. If you are willing to contact the hotel directly to provide the room number that you stayed in, it helps us pinpoint some of those issues that we may have been unable to locate and remedy since your stay.

There is one point of clarification that I wanted to mention in case there was any confusion. And please accept my sincere apologies if any member of our staff informed you otherwise, but the small box on the base of the guest room door is a shoe shine box. You are correct that a Room Service platter would not fit. They are not designed for In Room Dining/Room Service Delivery, but are designed to place your shoes should you require shine service. We have offered this service for many years and in an era when shoe shines were more commonly utilized we checked each box nightly. We now simply ask that you place your shoes in the box and call the Front Desk or Bell Stand for service. A $5 charge is assessed to the room and a freshly shined pair of shoes is waiting for you in the morning! I must however apologize if any used Room Service trays were left in the hallway by guests and not retrieved in a timely manner by our In Room Dining staff.

We clearly missed the mark in the details during your stay and on behalf of our entire team I want to apologize. It is our goal to have each guest be not only satisfied with their stay, but also impressed with our service, amenities and our iconic history.

We do hope you give us another chance to impress you should your travels take you through Louisville again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may assist with making your next stay more impressive than the last.

Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

A very nice and historic hotel. I found that it was very clean and still maintained all of the original charm. Stayed in the Gatsby Suite and really enjoyed the room.

Located next to 4th street and within walking distance of all the bars and restaurants in the area.

Would stay here again if I would be in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
We are so glad that you and your friends enjoyed your experience in Louisville! Thank you for choosing the Seelbach Hilton and for taking a moment to share your experience. We are proud to offer the finest services and amenities as well as a close and convenient location to some of the best that Louisville has to offer. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Louisville!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Beautiful vaulted cellar. Stained glass skylight in lobby. Didn't make it to the Oak Room. Larry Johnson, hotel historian, has written books on the hotel and presides with dignity and grace over the executive lounge. I love that he has been authorized to wear a morning coat in recognition of his long service. Well-managed hotel, friendly staff. Did not score higher due to creaky, historic infrastructure, a longish wait for check-in, and a smallish room. Though centrally situated, many blocks in the vicinity lack vitality. No pool.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Peter D, Guest Relations Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Good morning and thank you for your feedback! Our owners and management team, both past and present, will appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts to maintain this historic, architectural gem. That being said, the aesthetics of our grand architecture can not make up for a lack of comfort in your guest experience. I apologize for the long wait that you experienced at check in. Likewise I regret not having had the opportunity to provide a change to a larger room that could have better served your needs. I also apologize if our team failed to inform you of our partnership with the YMCA, located 2 blocks from the hotel. Our guests enjoy complimentary access to the pool and fitness facilities at the YMCA through purchase of a day pass. By simply bringing your day pass receipt back to the hotel front desk, we are able to reimburse your YMCA charges on the spot.

While we take great pride in our history and in being Louisville's Grand Hotel, we embrace the exciting new changes that are taking place in the downtown area. Be sure to come visit again soon as the city has partnered with developers to invest more than $400 Million over the next 2 years in downtown building projects that will include retail, office and entertainment space.

Thank you once again for your business and valuable feedback. We greatly appreciate the time taken out of the busy schedule of our many business travelers to write an honest review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The staff is very good. We had food in the bottom lobby. Food was great and the room was amazing. The design is so intricate. The hotel is right next to a lot of entertainment. I really am enjoying it so far!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking a few moments to share your experience. I'm thrilled to hear that we met, and perhaps exceeded, your expectations in your guest room experience, dining experience, and guest services. I'm glad you were able to enjoy both our in house restaurant and some of the local restaurants/entertainment that are right out our front door. We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Louisville!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Seelbach Hilton? Share your experiences!