“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Louisville, KY
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I will start by giving some benefit of the doubt to the fact that is was a busy New Year's Eve stay. That has nothing to do with the quality of the room I was originally given at check-in, however. I was given one of the "pure allergy free" rooms. If it costs more, it must be better, right? Couldn't be more wrong. The room smell was rancid, hard to explain but I within seconds I could not stay. The desk was very accomodating in moving me to another room, just a little larger than a broom closet. Again, I understand that is was New Years, but being a Hilton Diamond member, I expected a little more. I also understand that is an older, historic hotel, which is part of the charm, but for the price, I will be sure to stay at the Brown in the furture. I had to move my own luggage and no one attempted to check if the accomodations were better. To add insult to injury, the rate I paid was not adjusted when moved to a "non pure allergy free" room (about a $20 difference). This just was not close to a 4 star experience. Take it from this frequent traveler, chose another downtown Louisville location, especially on New Year's Eve. As another traveler stated, I am not impressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brandt F, Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear freqtraveler57,
In reading your review of your New Year's Eve experience at the Seelbach Hilton, it looks as if we helped start your 2013 in less than stellar fashion, and please accept my apologies for the guest room concerns you have outlined. As a loyal Hilton Diamond member, you are certainly valued within the Hilton family as well as the Seelbach. For many guests, the Pure Room experience is beneficial, however I would appreciate the opportunity to at least refund the premium paid for the room and also to have you return, giving us another opportunity to have you experience the Seelbach in a better light. Your review suggests you are in Louisville, and perhaps there will be another downtown event where I could help with overnight accomodations. At your convenience, please contact me to discuss how I might assist. Best regards for the New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Destin, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in the bar for a drink. Much older crowd, whic is fine. No mint for mint juleps, did not know what prosecco was, out of the champagne i ordered, not very friendly. Hotel lobby very pretty. Ended up with an old fashioned.

Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

The location is excellent. The staff was great! Everyone was very helpful and nice. The decor is dated but appropriate for this hotel. Room size was excellent. We were upgraded to a very nice suite. The shower is really my only complaint. The shower head was broken and would not stay in a fixed position and the water options were either scalding or cold. Had breakfast at Ottos cafe food and service were good.

• Stayed December 2012
Edgewood, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Came to Louisville to go to actors theater and have some Christmas cheer as a family. Decided to spend the extra and book the Seelbach as I thought I'd show the kids where we had our wedding reception "back in the day."

Hmmm. I am writing this after not sleeping a wink. The heating and air conditioning units clunked on and off all night long. The room is tiny and not so great. Bed is tiny. No water pressure in the showers. No view.

Sorry Seelbach. Won't do again. Should have kept my good memories.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear franmom,
I read your Trip Advisor reveiw with much frustration and dissappointment, particularly as it was such a great opportuntiy to exend those pleasant memories from your wedding reception to your children. This is not the the 4 diamond experience we strive to provide our guests, and I appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. With the history and ambiance of the hotel, comes the continual challenge of maintaining the systems and keeping her humming well.
It would be my pleasure to talk with you about your stay and how I could assist in a future stay at the Seelbach and redeem ourselves with your family. Tradition is certainly important at the Seelbach, and I would hate to have yours end on such an unpleasant experience.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had a last minute opportunity to visit Louisville and was curious to stay in this classic hotel. The extremely elegant lobby, while small, reminded me of some of the other grand older properties that are now part of the Hilton family. If you're used to staying only in newer or completely remodeled hotels, it would be smart to adjust your expectations in terms of room size and hallway noise. But the furniture, bedding, and decorations have refreshed while still maintaining the early 20th century charm. I came here more for the location, but I'll return for the ambiance.

Room Tip: I asked for a higher floor room far away from the elevator and they found me a really quiet end room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Have always wanted to stay at the Seelbach. Got my chance visiting my dad at the end of November. The only thing more impressive than the hotel was the staff. I wish I had gotten their names, but I was tired and it just slipped my mind. If management sees this review, whoever was staffing the hotel the Friday/Saturday after Thanksgiving should be commended. The location cannot be beat if you want to do downtown. I could just park my car and walk where I wanted to go. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Im normally not a fan of older hotels but this was an exception. The staff was REALLY friendly and helpful. My room was nicely decorated and very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small but not enough to really complain. There are plenty of eateries and bars within a short walk. And, if that's not enough, they have several EXCELLENT eateries within the hotel. Not normal hotel food... REALLY EXCELLENT. If you like dessert, I would suggest the Bread Pudding

Room Tip: If you are superstitious or just plain afraid of "ghosts" (YES, I AM ONE OF THOSE !) A...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Seelbach Hilton? Share your experiences!