“Historical beauty” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
KY
“Historical beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Recently spent the weekend at the Seelbach. Used to come here with my family as a child & from a kids standpoint I didn't care for it. No excitement. However, I must say I like it now! Very tastefully decorated. Our room was very clean (we had the PURE Allergy King room). Please note that the hotel is very old, so the rooms are small, the bathrooms are small. But the charm of this hotel is wonderful. We ordered room service both mornings for breakfast, which came fast & the food was excellent. The Lobby Bar, which is rated Top 50 Bars in the world, is pretty cool. Some nights they have live music & can get very lively. The hotel is within 1/2 block of 4th Street Live, which is cool! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Arrived on a Thursday night at 530pm and had reservation.
Upon arrival, the lobby is awesome. I truly enjoy history and this place is it. Very elegant.
Checked in as a Hilton Honor member and prior when making reservations, requested a upgrade for a minimal fee through Hilton Honors. Upon checking in, was advised my upgrade was accepted and we will be staying in the Presidential suite. After a few minutes later, I was advised that the room was not ready due to the carpet just being cleaned. The gracious front desk staff gave us vouchers for a few drinks and advised us to come back in after dinner to check in. Informed my daughter of the upgrade and she was excited. We went out for dinner and came back at about 900pm and informed the room was not ready and they need to change our room to a king and and adjoin two queen room that would not be any additional cost. No thrilled about it and informed my daughter about it. She was disappointed.

The two rooms were very clean and elegant. The bathrooms were spacious and very clean with great water pressure. I truly enjoyed the history and decor of the hotel.

I will stay here again, but the moral of the story is don't offer what you cant produce. Either way, in the regular rooms we had or the Presidential Suite, they hotel is gorgeous and the staff was excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was my first stay the the Hilton Seelbach, and for the most part it was an enjoyable stay. I arrived at the Louisville airport, and the Hilton complimentary transportation was right on time to pick me up. Check-in was a little slow. There was one couple in front of me checking in, and then there were two other Hilton reps talking behind the check-in desk paying no attention to me. I stood there for 5 minutes or so before the rep checking in the couple in front of me said something to the other two, and then I was proceeded to be checked in. A little disappointing.

The room was small, but I do understand that it's an older, historic hotel and most of the rooms are going to be small. The room had everything that I needed, and the bed was comfortable. The only thing that I would recommend is paying attention to the small details in the rooms such as paint peeling, stains on the tub/shower, and light bulbs being burnt out. One would think that with the housekeepers being in the rooms daily to clean that these issues would be reported. Are they? I would hope that the housekeeping staff is empowered and expected to make notes on things in the rooms to be fixed/repaired/replaced. Especially something as simple as a light bulb being burnt out. I would hope that the Seelbach is not waiting for a customer complaint before they take action to fix something.

I ate at Otto's several times during my stay, and the food was good. The hotel sits right next to 4th Street Live, which was very convenient. There are many different restaurants/bars very close by, which provides for a wide variety of food and drink.

I also used the in-room service dining once during my stay, which was a disappointment. First of all, I called down twice and the phone just rang and rang and rang. No answer! I then called the front desk, and they said that they would connect me with someone in that area. I heard a click for the transfer, and then a dialtone.....hung up on! I then waited about 10 min and called the in-room service number back again. A girl answered the phone, and I said that I would like to place an order. She said that the "one person" working the in-room dining was out and I needed to call back in 10 min. What choice did I have?? I would have thought that at the very least she could have taken my room number, and had that "one person" call me back! So I waited the 10 min, and called again. I finally did get someone, and they took my order. A knock on my door happened about 20 min later, which was awesome and fast! However, the person at my door with my tray didn't have any of my food on it. Seriously, the tray had all the condiments (ketchup, mustard, ect....), silverware, glass of water, but absolutely no food. I know the gentleman felt embarrassed, and quickly went back to get my food. When I finally did get my food, it was good!

Used the gym many times while I was at the hotel, and I must say that the gym is excellent. One of the best that I have seen in my extensive travels! Top notch equipment, towels, water are all available. The room is also keep very cool, which is always appreciated! The one thing that I would add is for some way for guests to alert you on problems with the equipment. Maybe a equipment log that guests can write issues in. I experienced several issues with equipment having errors, or the TV's not working.

Check out process had a little hiccup with my bill. The rate of my room on my last night for some reason was double the price of the rest of my stay. Guest service rep quickly took care of that issue. Also, I had paid for my in-room dining through my credit card and yet it showed up being charged to my room as well. The in-room dining experience continues to haunt me! After showing my credit card receipt for the charge, the in-room dining charge on my bill was quickly taken care of.

All in all, my stay at the Hilton Seelbach was good. I enjoyed the location and really liked the provided gym. I would have given more stars had the check-in process and in-room dining experience been better.

Would I recommend this hotel? Yes. Will I be back. Yes.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least 10 times. I keep coming back because of the sense of grand old hotel that you get from staying here. The bar is listed as one of the top 10 pieces of mohagany that you must drink from in the United States...the location is great. The rooms are appointed with antique furniture and beds. The gym is well equiped. Just a great place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stay at the Seelbach Hilton at least twice a year and over time I have noticed a deterioration in room quality and service that is disappointing. I love the stunning public areas of this Grand Dame as well as the concierge lounge that features a 24 hour fridge full of soft drinks and water.The gym is also well equipped and nicely maintained. Rooms, on the other hand, are starting to show their age. My Junior Suite had paint peeling off the baseboards, poor lighting and beat up furniture. A soft goods renovation is sorely needed to update and freshen the rooms. Beds are still great and housekeeping wonderful. I was quite concerned by the short staffing I observed on this trip as well. Valets took 15 minutes to get the car even during slow times. The front desk was also short personnel as I noticed a fairly long line for check-in on several occasions as I was coming and going. It's still a wonderful hotel that holds a special place in my heart but a little TLC is required.

Room Tip: Rooms facing outside (4th or Muhammad Ali) can be noisy on weekends due to live music across the str...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience at the Seelbach. We are proud of our first impression and stunning public space, although your comments on the guest room did catch our attention. In 2009, we renovated all guest rooms, the concierge lounge, fitness center and more. You might imagine that even newly renovated hotels need continued care to minimize aging and deterioration. We like to catch those things before the guest notices, so trust we will have our team take action on the junior suite with peeling paint. Then, we will look at any furniture in that room that could use some care as well. We take equal pride in having incredible service experts that are ready to serve our guests. We will take the same care and concern in reviewing recent staffing levels.

We do hope you stay with us again and look forward to the post soon after that your room and service experience complemented our great first impression.

Cambridge, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Seelbach for one night at the beginning of a weekend Bourbon Trail trip. I have stayed in old hotels with thin walls before, and neither my husband nor I are particularly sensitive to noise, but we could barely sleep for much of the night. Our room was located next to the elevator bank on a high floor, and when we were in bed, it sounded like we were IN an elevator with a bunch of people, that's how clearly and loudly we could hear the "dinging", voices, and footsteps. It was a Friday night, and I think a wedding had been held in the hotel that night, so there was a lot of foot traffic until about 3am, after which we were able to sleep. Looking back on it, we could have gone down to the front desk and asked to change rooms, but after a delayed flight, we were exhausted and just wanted to rest up to hit the road early in the morning. Happily, the hotel front desk staff was apologetic the next morning and did compensate us by taking some money off our bill (though I would have rather had the hours of sleep!).

We did also appreciate several other positive aspects of the hotel: the lobby is absolutely gorgeous with fabulous marble; F. Scott Fitzgerald hung out at the bar (although the bar itself is not particularly atmospheric, it's just got a cool history); the front desk staff was very friendly; the room (a regular room with a king bed) was nicely appointed, spacious, and very clean; the hotel is located across the street from an outdoor entertainment promenade (Fourth Street Live) and is less than 20 minutes from the airport. Because of these positive aspects, we would likely give it another try if we return to Louisville, but only if we could get a room far, far away from the elevators!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
We appreciate that you took the time to comment on your hotel experience at the Seelbach. We are very proud to be a part of the Bourbon Trail experience, something unique to Kentucky and a great reason to come visit our area. The Old Seelbach Bar is part of the Urban Bourbon Trail. It was the first bar open on the trail and should be the last stop that you make, so you can take the elevator home after enjoying your bourbon experience.

Great tip to remind guests to ask for the right room type. Let our front desk staff know the important things you want in a hotel room, and allow them find the best room for you. We realize you chose to stay with us due to our reputation as best in class in Louisville, so we stand ready to act on your behalf, as there is no substitute for getting some well deserved rest.

You point out some great history, and our team has plenty to share with you. They also spend time focusing on today to ensure your stay represents how we built this grand history. We are glad to hear you will give us another try, and you can guarantee we will find a room away from the elevator for you.

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Can not say enough about the Seelbach Hilton and it's staff! Every effort was made to make our stay amazing from the minuite we walked in the beautiful lobby till the day we left. Mike the front desk supervisor is incredibly helpful with suggestions and taking care of your every need. The concierge floor has a warm feel sharing a beautiful breakfast and cocktails in the evening. The Concierge Larry has been there 30 years and had some great stories of the past! Glorious 4 days thanks to all we will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
When someone says they cannot say enough about the Seelbach, I say “sure you can,…keep talking…I am listening.” We will celebrate your kind words with Mike and Larry. Larry is our hotel historian, celebrating 30 years of work history here. He wrote a book on the Seelbach and is a great person all guests should meet to hear some of our grand history. Of course, most likely you will encounter an incredible associate named Mike at the front desk, as we double the odds by having two. Both team members are amazing at “wowing” guests, as is our entire front desk team.

Looking forward to having you back soon,

Jon McFarland

Been to Seelbach Hilton? Share your experiences!