“Very rude hostess (sic), if you can call her that!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Le Gallo Rosso - CLOSED

Le Gallo Rosso
1325 Bardstown Rd, Louisville, KY 40204-1319 (Highlands)
502-473-0015
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Highlands
Sellersburg, Indiana
“Very rude hostess (sic), if you can call her that!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I totally agree with two previous tripadvisor members, Mashie57 and Ben S, who reviewed this place last year. Me and my fiance' went there early evening on May 11, 2014. We were really looking forward to having dinner there. We did not have a reservation and were willing to wait for table. We could see that all of the other are restaurants in the general area were very busy so we knew going in that there would be a wait without a reservation. When we walked in, we were met by a lady (and I use that word "lady" very loosely) who I assume was the hostess. I asked her if we could get a table and she snidely remarked. "Well, do you have a reservation?". I informed her we did not and, by her look, that must have angered her. She curtly said, "Then there will be a 15-20 minute wait". I asked her if she had a bar that we could set at while we waited and she pointed and rudely said, "In there, but there is no bartender so you will have to wait a couple minutes for one". And then she turned and left. We went into the bar (If that is what you want to call it). It had about 4 rickety stools and a 5 foot bar. We waited for a good 5-6 minutes for this "bartender". I went back out to the area where I had met this "ugh", hostess and when she came back, I asked her if the bartender would be coming. She said to me in a very nasty and condescending voice, "I TOLD YOU TO WAIT AND THAT HE WOULD BE THERE WHEN HE GETS THERE". We could not believe the way this nasty, (she's not even deserving of the name nasty) person was talking to me that way. Needless to say, we left the place without saying a word and went across the street where we had a great meal at the El Camino Restaurant where the staff was "Over the top" friendly and the food was great. I only wish that I had read Tripadvisor reviews on the "Le Gallo Rosso" before we went there. We would have never went through the front door. If I were you and was looking for an Italian restaurant that respected you and your business, then pass on this place and go to Vicenzo's at 5th and Market. And to you, the lady "yuck" at the Le Gallo Rosso who greeted us last night. Please, do yourself a big favor and take your paycheck and go get yourself some personality classes. Lord knows you need them.

• Visited May 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I were in Louisville on vacation and accidentally happened upon the Bardstown road neighborhood. We had stopped on the way back from the bourbon trail and this restaurant was suggested. It was nicer than expected as we were wearing jeans and felt out of place but our waiter Adrian made us feel right at home and seated us right away and was very attentive. There is not a huge selection of entrees but with the specials we had no problem choosing. I had the tortellini dialolique and my boyfriend had lasagna and although the lasagna was very good my pasta was one of the best entrees I have ever eaten! Thank you to Adrian for suggesting it! Great meal!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shelbyville, Kentucky
“enjoyable dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We did not have a reservation and were taken to a table within 10 minutes. I had scallops with angelhair pasta which was delicious. My husband had lasagne. We were very surprised when we received our salads which were greens tightly bound with thinly sliced cucumber. They appeared very small but when unbound opened up to a nice salad. Our server did an excellent job. Our food arrived in a timely manner and the portions were generous. The tiramasu was average. I would dine here again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, Kentucky
“This Place Needs Help!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Visited Le Gallo Rosso for the first time the other night with 2 friends. I've tried to go several times in the past, but they seem to want reservations even when they have plenty of open tables. They did take us with only 1/2 hour notice this time, however. Unfortunately, we should have stayed away! While our waiter was marvelous, the food was extremely poor, especially for the price. My eggplant parmesan was brought to me with charred black pieces of breading all over the plate! The cheese tasted like plastic and even the sauce was boring. One friend's chicken piccata was made with chicken breasts which tasted like frozen chicken from the supermarket-tough and flavorless. Complaints to the manager were met by severe "attitude." We were treated like homeless people trying to cheat them out of a free meal, while paying for several glasses of fairly priced wine. I will say that the friend who ordered only a salad liked it! We won't be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“utterly, utterly disappointing and embarrasing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I don't believe I have ever written a restaurant review this critical. Even though the food was pretty good, the smoky room, inattentive staff, and 3 hour wait made this a horrible evening. I was so upset that I wrote the restaurant a letter, but never got a response from them.

After one good prior experience with a quiet pleasant dinner at this restaurant, we decided to take some friends here for a relaxing small birthday celebration - a table of 5. We had a reservation, and were seated in the back room adjoining the kitchen.

We were greeted by a pleasant young woman who we could see was somewhat tentative, and admitted that after some training, this was her first night working as a waitress. We ordered some appetizers and a bottle of wine, and were served in a reasonable period of time. The food was tasty and appetizing.

A table of 4 was seated next to us while we were eating our appetizers, and was greeted by a more experienced appearing waiter who immediately informed the table of the specials for the evening.

When our waitress returned to get our orders for entrees, we had to ask to find out about the special offerings. Shortly after we ordered, we noticed that the smoke from the kitchen had become noticeably worse to the point that several of us had difficulty with breathing and watery eyes.

The table adjacent to us was served promptly, and they ate their food and left while we continued to wait for our entrees for well over another hour to 90 minutes. Our waitress came over rarely, and the diners at our table each got up at different times to get fresh air and to escape the oppressive smoke from the room. We appealed to the waitress to get our food or at least move us to a different table in a different room. She said there were no tables available, but the restaurant was not more than 60% full at that time. The more experienced staff and the woman at the cashier completely ignored our pleas to get our food for us or move our table.

We had no complaints about the food, but we were in the restaurant for at least 3 hours, begging for our food and relief from the smoke. When we finally got asked for our bill, we were relieved that we could finally get out of that place, but no...........the waitress disappeared for another 20 minutes. Why? Because the cashier explained that the check was hand written and hand calculated. When we tried to tell her how bad our experience we had, there was no one there to accept any responsibility.

Since their website does not accept any type of input, I took the time to mail them a 2 page letter documenting our experience, and I sent them a copy of our receipt. It has been 60 days, and there has been no response. If I had gone to a McDonalds, Olive Garden, or Macaroni Grill, there would have been someone to talk to about the experience.

Needless to say, we were embarrassed to take our friends to this place with terrible service, unbreathable air and uncaring attitude. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited March 2013