“Excellent Stay as Usual” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Hotel

You added The Brown Hotel to your Saves list
The Brown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Offers & Announcements
Brown Hotel Package
Ranked #6 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent Stay as Usual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

In all fairness, this is not our first stay at the Brown Hotel. We have stayed here on personal and professional visits to Louisville and have never been let down. The website is right on, old school hotel charm, service, décor and attention to detail. The normal price is in the range of $135 to $185 a night (two night minimum in most cases). This is a full service hotel; great restaurant, outstanding room service, lobby bar, valet parking, great business accommodations and I could go on and on.

For business purposes we normally book a conference room at the Brown as well and their Business Manager does outstanding work. We are normally looking for a small conference room and the Brown is well suited for everything from 5 to 500; and the service is exactly what you would expect from a top of the line hotel.

Rooms are very nice, spacious, well appointed, clean and functional. This is an older hotel, which as my wife and I agree only ads to the ambiance. The second floor lobby is truly like stepping back into the Gilded Age, wonderful artwork, outstanding period décor with comfortable couches, chairs and seating arrangements just perfect for small group interaction or a private moment alone. My wife often chooses to just sit in the lobby, read and people watch while I am tied up in meetings. In the evenings the lobby bar generally comes alive with fellow travelers, airline pilots, stewardesses and local business professionals. There is a wonderful lady that is usually there playing the piano and she does do requests (Chopin to Jimmy Buffett).

If price, swimming pool or spa is your deterministic factors, then you probably want to pass on the Brown. If you like being treated like a valued customer and friend, being spoiled with great food and a wonderful ambiance, then this is your place. The locations is easy to get to from I-65; the upper downtown Fourth Street address puts you at a very nice walking distance from the Fourth Street Live activities, the Convention Center and the downtown theaters. Right across the street is a wonderful local outlet for the Bluegrass Brewing Company and the hotel’s shuttle service is always available to whisk you off to any number of Louisville’s outstanding eateries.

When in Louisville, it is the Brown for us!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My wife and I checked in and were greeted by a very professional crew at the front door, mostly European staff. They were very gracious and professional. We had several meals in the restaurant, where several of the staff were also European and very professional. The rooms are quite elegant with a lot of nice touches. We had a wonderful nights sleep in heavenly beds. The lobby is a beautiful place with a lovely decorated ceiling. We had a wonderful quiet getaway. The sights of downtown are just a few blocks away. It was a busy place, but the employees always took the time to answer all our questions and offer suggestions on things to do. The whole place has such a beautiful aura. Recommend highly. One of our better stays in a while.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

The staff at The Brown Hotel make your stay that much more enjoyable. I have never stayed at a hotel and become so acquainted with the staff. The food was delicious, and The Hot Brown..wow! I think I tried to get everyone that traveled with me to get one during our stay!

A quaint hotel that has it's own wonderful life inside it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I stayed here through booking with Hotwire. I am someone who usually stays at hostels or cheap motels, but once in awhile I like to stay somewhere nice and historical and I found it here at The Brown Hotel. Because I was 24 when I went and alone, I think the workers and guests there found me a bit odd since it is more of an expensive hotel. I didn't really mind it though and liked being a mystery.Average age of guests here seemed to maybe be 60. My bedroom was nice and even though I had no view, it was pretty quiet. The business center was a great thing to have to because I was able to print my boarding pass. I liked the fact that they had an airport shuttle too. Typically when I stay at a hotel I will only go to ones with an airport shuttle because I am too exhausted to drive after a flight. The hotel bar was so nice. Wish I experienced getting a drink there and a Hot Brown but didn't.

Cons of the hotel? It would have been nice if you didn't have to pay for parking, but it seems all the really nice Louisville hotels have you paying for parking. Someone here once said that they didn't have to pay for parking I believe. Not true. I had to pay. The location is good, but I think the 21C and Seelbach are in better locations. You are around a 15 minute walk from the Seelbach. There are some restaurants and a cafe right next to the hotel, but I found it was mainly offices and business right next to it. I also thought the hotel breakfast buffet wasn't anything special and overprice.

If I came back to town I would like to try the Seelbach, but if the price at the Brown was much cheaper, I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Cary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We went to Louisville for pleasure - and staying at The Brown really added to our trip. It is a lovely, well-preserved older hotel that has maintained its grace and style. Beautiful lobby and public areas. Nice rooms - old fashion, very comfortable and large. We stayed on the Club Floor - very attentive staff, excellent breakfast and late afternoon hor's d'oeuvres. And, beer and wine were included. It was a real value for the money.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

In summary, it's a pretty and comfortable historic hotel with a very well-trained staff. Stay here if you can get a good deal, just don't expect the Ritz.

Everyone on staff is lovely -- exceedingly gracious and professional. (well, except for the front desk woman who repeatedly giggled hysterically when I called down to ask why the room phone would not dial out. Not sure what that was about, but at least she fixed it)
It's a pretty, "old money" lobby befitting an historic hotel in the South: heavy drapes, overstuffed couches, dark paneling, and a player piano is going 24/7 with a variety of tunes, from classical to ragtime. You get the picture.

Negative: guest room walls are *paper thin* ... I heard every word of my next door neighbor's multiple phone conversations, throat-clearing, water running, and his room service transaction.
On the positive side, my room was spotlessly clean, the king-size bed comfortable, and the bathroom spacious & modern and well stocked with basic amenities, and the bed and bath linens were high quality. I was put on a club floor (#12) and, best I could tell, the only difference was that I had to insert a card into the elevator slot to get to my floor. The complimentary club floor amenities (breakfast, etc) only applied to those on the 13th floor. ??? Free WiFi, although they still charge $1.50 for local calls (once you convince the hyena at the front desk to turn on the room phone) which seems petty. Parking in the adjacent garage is $18/night, and you can put it on your room bill.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed here over night on our way home from seeing Mammoth Cave. The hotel is convenient to get to from 1-65, and it seems to be in a good central location for walking to restaurants, stores, etc. The service was also very good. Front desk personnel and room service staff were friendly and accommodating.

My only criticism is the price for the room. The hotel is a member of the Preferred Hotel and Resorts Group. I’ve stayed at a number of hotels that are a part of that group and have never been disappointed in service or accommodations. Unfortunately, my hotel room at The Brown didn’t live up to the Preferred Group standards. Everything was clean and in working order, but the furniture was severely scratched and chipped. The headboard above the bed was broken. The carpet was stained. Overall, the room looked very rundown. Not what I expected after seeing the lobby area, which was very inviting and well-kept.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!