“Southern Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Brown Hotel to your Saves list
The Brown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #5 of 95 hotels in Louisville
Hagerstown, Indiana
“Southern Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

i have stayed at the Brown Hotel too many times to count. Because of this hotel, Louisville has come to feel like my home away from home. All aspects of service, the decor, and cuisine help travelers relax and enjoy the charm of this downtown hotel. Beds are comfy; the abundant pillows feel luxurious. The staff, in my experience, is consistently helpful and respectful. I always make a stop in the gift shop for unique items. I plan to stay at the Brown in my future travels to Louisville.

Room Tip: I do like rooms that face Broadway or Fourth Street because I like the hustle and bustle of the city...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

801 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It is a gorgeous hotel in a great location, but the service was very spotty. On the one hand, they went out of their way to give us a late checkout and a late breakfast. On the other hand, over our 2-night stay they called us and woke us up the first morning at 7:30 am! to ask if we were staying that night. Both us had intended to sleep in late and had trouble getting back to sleep. (Why didn't they know we were booked for 2 nights??) Our first breakfast arrived without water or toast, even though these were supposed to be part of the meal. For some reason, the latest you can order breakfast to arrive, when turning in the request the night before, is 9:00-9:20!! So they woke us up again that same morning to bring breakfast. Something closer to 11 am would be much better.

The worst insult was at checkout, when I mentioned the problems to the checkout clerk. She was surprised, but offered us nothing - not a free appetizer or drink at the bar, not a discount on a potential next stay, nothing. Probably will NOT stay here again - Louisville is a very friendly place and I'm sure there are many other places that would have appreciated our business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

First night was rough. Neighbor started blaring TV at 2am-5am, and the staff rang the room once and knocked once, so when the guest didn't answer, they told me that there was nothing that they could do...and that they were totally booked... Not much effort to try to assist... The next day, I explained situation to day staff and they immediately changed us to a very quiet room and gave us breakfast... Wish the night staff was as capable...

• Stayed May 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have stayed at The Brown three times in the past three years, and I wouldn't stay any place else in Louisville. You are greeted by name at check in, there is a shuttle between the airport and hotel ( and I have always had delightful conversations with the young men who are driving ), the rooms are spacious and well appointed, the restaurants are top quality and the lobby and bar are spectacular. And it is now a great area to walk and visit other businesses.

Room Tip: The Club Floor is worth the extra money for access to breakfast and happy hour
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
From_the_Desk_of, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Delighted to read your review. This is exactly what we strive to provide for our guests. So pleased to read that the Brown is the only place you would stay in Louisville. Please contact me after you make a future reservation. I would look forward to blocking a nice room for you.

Alexandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the Brown for a business conference and though others had told me how beautiful this hotel was, and though I had looked at the pictures online...none of that did this hotel justice. It's just stunning, and you feel indulged the moment you step inside. Not only is this hotel beautiful in every nook and cranny (there are architectural details everywhere), but the staff are incredibly friendly, helpful, and clearly enjoy making your stay a wonderful experience. A few extras to consider...free wi-fi througout the hotel, a free shuttle to and from the airport (which is just 10 minutes away), a lovely gift shop, and excellent places to dine within the hotel (wonderful food and again, fabulous staff). And the Derby Pie...don't skip this!

Room Tip: My room had a king-sized bed, an armoir, full sized dresser, nice sized desk, 3 end tables, and a fu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Very pleased to see your wonderful comments. Please let me know if I can prepare a room for you on your next trip to Louisville.

Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Brown is excellent. It is a beautifully maintained classic hotel with attentive service and good food.

My only suggestion is to lower the lights in the lobby bar and eating area. I felt like I was in a train station.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. I appreciate your constructive commentary on the light level. I will indeed keep an eye on and hope you may visit in the near future to see it corrected.

Shelby, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stopped here as our midway point between Chicago and NC. I got a really great rate on the room, and the pictures of the hotel were beautiful! We checked in pretty late but the doormen and valet were all very nice. Front desk staff was great, and room service was wonderful. The hotel is historic and is kept really well. I was really excited to try the hot brown, a classic kentucky sandwich that was invented at this hotel! Another cool piece of trivia, the movie Elizabethtown was filmed there. I love that movie!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and seeing where the movie crew stayed during the filming of Elizabethtown. We had a most enjoyable month with all the movie crew and in fact closed the hotel lobby for a week for the shoot. We had two of our staff in the movie, still working with us.

Please let me know if ever I may be of assistance in future.

Vice President and General Manager

Been to The Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!