“A most wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Brown Hotel to your Saves list
The Brown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Syracuse, NY
“A most wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

After a long exhausting car trip I was met at the Brown Hotel in Louisville by a friendly, sparkly valet service, who efficiently unloaded my luggage from my car to my cart, and directed me in exactly how to get to the front desk where my luggage cart was already waiting for me. The hotel's beauty is sheer delight, like stepping into the early 1900s in terms of decor, furniture and ambiance, but with present-day efficiency in staff, computer reservations management, and so forth. My room was just beautiful, lush, lovely, with a marbled floor and counter topped bathroom, perfectly lovely furniture, and, as a constant reminder of just where in the world I was, a bed-topper/blanket/afghan depicting a Kentucky Derby scene. I was there for a conference and everything was just beautiful, wonderful and welcoming -- from beautiful conference/ball rooms, to great break snacks, to a staffer who stayed outside of the conference room for the entire time we were in it, in case someone in the conference needed something, directions to the restroom or anything else. I felt very well-cared-for in this lovely place. The public rooms felt, to me, like high quality art galleries or exhibits, the furniture, carpet, drapes, etc., were that special. As i was at a conference and we had many off-site events for dinner and other things, I didn't partake of lunch or dinner at any of the hotel's restaurants, but I'd wanted to to experience the beauty and graciousness I knew I'd find. The gift shop was full of a wonderful mix of attractive postcards and t-shirts, handbags and other wearable art, and Kentucky Derby souvenirs for people of all ages. And as a delightful detail, a statue of Mr. Brown -- the long-deceased owner of the hotel -- and his little dog, stand outside the building and are visible from the part of the restaurant where breakfast is served. And the service at the Brown, overall and especially, especially the housekeeping staff, was second to none.

Room Tip: Although I don't know for sure, my guess is that every room is perfect.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Tullahoma, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Brown is one of those places that can be said to transport you back in time. It has that wonderful 1920's feel and elegance of times long past. The staff is exceedingly courteous and professional, the rooms are wonderfully appointed and very spacious. Our last stay was for New Years Eve and we had a wonderful time at the hotel and for the events. The food at the hotel is always great and the menu is very accommodating to all levels of expense. Room service is also an excellent option, which we enjoyed a few times. I highly suggest one of their weekend packages if you want a more inclusive deal. This is one of my two favorite hotels in Louisville.

Room Tip: The room is the view. Such wonderful appointments and style are worth a look.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had the privilage of staying at the Brown Hotel this past week on business. From the moment, I entered the historic property I felt at home. The customer service was top notch, the property was spotless and the attention to detail was remarkable. I did not want to leave! I travel weekly for business and this hotel by far in a class of its own. Looking forward to taking my family back now! Josh

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner's friend booked the hotel for us on New Year's Eve.
What a great pick! The hotel was lovely, our room was very clean and spacious. The bed was large and very comfortable. I had a great night sleep!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us.
Wonderful to hear we provided you with a nice room and a great night’s sleep.
Vice President & General Manager
Warsaw, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is my 3rd year staying at The Brown Hotel. This is a lovely place to stay. Conveniently located downtown. Super clean and nice staff. I travel here for business every year and always looks forward to my stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,
It is always great to hear from a returning guest who has visited with us several times.
Please allow me to assist with your reservation on your next trip to ensure we select a very nice room.
Vice President & General Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My step dad had offered great memories of post war (WWII) activities at the Brown. My wife surprised me with a "special offer" and we met up with my brother and his wife. While not as elegant as the Netherland Hilton (Cincinnati) or charming as the Canterbury (Indianapolis), the Brown feels "just right"...
Rooms were elegant, bathroom was clean and spacious and the largest walk in closet I've ever experienced at a hotel (not that it was necessary).
If you have the time, treat yourself to a great dinner at the English Grill (onsite). Here's a tip if you'll be arriving by car - bring a bottle of your own great wine and just pay $30 for a corkage fee. While the English Grill's wine list is excellent, you'll be paying (and tipping) a lot. My brother brought two of his favorite bottles and it was really smart of him to do so...
The only "downside" of the hotel is its location (in cold weather), slightly south of center city and the 4th street action. But for a Friday night in February, it was a great experience and highly recommended. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: See if you can be upgraded to the club level.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Came here for one night as my company was hosting our annual Holiday celebration in one of their ballrooms. The staff was super friendly, the rooms were nice and spacious. The bed and bathroom seemed clean and comfortable. Food in the banquet room was good, not great. Location was perfect for walking to the outdoor entertainment area, which I'd strongly recommend. As far as I'm concerned, this is my new go-to choice for hotels in Louisville.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our central location downtown.
Pleased to read that the Brown will be your choice for future visits. Please allow me to assist with your reservation on your next stay.
Vice President and General Manager

Been to The Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!