“What A Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Brown Hotel to your Saves list
The Brown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #7 of 95 hotels in Louisville
Oreland, Pennsylvania
“What A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great location in downtown Louisville. The hotel is historic but the rooms are modern, quiet, and well appointed. Our bathroom was small but we didn't mind as everything else in the hotel was very impressive. The service was great and friendly. We ate at the main restaurant and the food was very good. They made a special dessert for us as we were celebrating an anniversary and that was a nice touch. When in Louisville this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a room on the Concierge Level. They are supposed to be larger than the standard ro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is always nice to hear from a guest commenting on the little service touches that make a hotel stay special.
We hope to have you back with us on a future anniversary. Please allow me to handle your reservation on a future celebration.

749 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Lincoln, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel was comfortable and clean and the food was good. But the wireless internet is a total fraud. It's slower than the mud in the Ohio River and actually completely useless. It's free. But it's useless. And the walls are thin enough to hear the guy in the next room stop breathing. He really needs to go see a doctor for a sleep study.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Please accept my apology for your wireless experience.
We were in the process of upgrading our system, and it did not go as smoothly as we expected.
Please allow me to handle your reservation on a future visit. I will personally check the wireless speed in your room before arrival and ensure it works flawlessly.
dayton ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Hotel, furnishings, service, food were perfect! The wifi was great on Friday; but not on Saturday evening and still weak on Sunday morning....Oh well. The Brown is where I still want to stay in Louisville! The rooms are so comfortable and the lobby is always busy as who wouldn't want to be seated in those great sofas and chairs!
If you want to splurge... stay on the Club level as you are treated to a Happy Hour at 5:00pm, room service amenities and morning breakfast mini buffet, and 24 hr beverage access.

Room Tip: Club levels are on the 12th, 13th and 14th floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel. The Club floor is indeed a great value for a little extra.
My apologies – we were in the process of upgrading our wireless and the transition did not go as smoothly as we expected.
I’m pleased to hear you will return. Please call me to assist with your reservation on your next visit.
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our family got together here and found this to be just a wonderful hotel. Excellent restaurants to get together with great food. Their HOT BROWN sandwich has been around for many years and we heard about it from a Diane Sawyer spot on TV. The rooms were spacious for a historic hotel - each room our little group had was different. The employees were calling us by name after a day. That made us feel very special. The hotel is in the downtown near two great old historic theatres. The place is a treat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

A superb hotel. An historic place that looks like it has been kept up very well. The sleeping room furnishings looked new. Great beds. Quiet rooms. Good location near several theatres and restaurants. The employees were as gracious as we have found anywhere - always helpful - always out to assist in whatever way. The lobby is very special with a 2 story ceiling and hand painted squares up top. They have maintained this place very well. Cuisine was well done. The bartenders know their Kentucky bourbons and were excellent at recommending different selections. Recommend this place highly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
It is always wonderful to hear that we deliver a great night’s sleep to a guest.
Thank you for recognizing our recent renovation of the guest rooms, which are all fresh and new.
Our staff were very pleased to hear your comments on our gracious service. Kentucky is the home of Bourbon, and our lobby bar staff take great pride in being able to promote to our guests.
Parma, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed at the Brown Hotel for one night this past weekend. We were thinking of extending our stay because of the cheap price and never being in Louisville. Well, I’m glad that we didn’t. First of all, it’s in a horrible spot. The neighborhood is no good. My daughter and I felt very unsafe. Secondly, the pictures don’t represent it at all. It’s much smaller than it looks. This includes the beds. My daughter and I are both 5’4 and our feet hung off of the beds. Didn’t sleep comfortably at all. When you walk in it smells like a funeral home overloaded in roses. The smell of rose was so overpowering that I hated walking through because it was just too much. The bathroom has no fan for circulation. Finally the hotel charged me twice for incidentals and for my room upgrade. Before my bank was willing to reimburse they were only offering to give us $20.00 in cash to hold us over until the holds were lifted.

I think the hotel is poorly represented here on Trip Advisor and Priceline. I’ve had my fair share of staying at boutique hotels. I wouldn’t recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

On a recent trip to Louisville with friends we decided to splurge and booked the Brown. They got a deal on Priceline, I missed out and booked directly. I decided to go with the concierge level. Yes, more expensive but totally worth it! I have never seen such a lovely offering on a concierge level floor. The breakfast was sinfully delicious and so was the evening noshes. Great selection of local beers and good wine (not fabulous but totally acceptable!). The concierges themselves were lovely and very helpful on where to dine,setting up tours of horsefarms and where to go in Louisville. I felt like I had new friends in Ky!
The room was lovely, could not connect to internet in room (old hotel, perfectly understandable). The floor was extremely quiet! Every staff member I met was gracious. Chamber maids are some of the best I've ever had! The room was immaculate & I noticed they spent upwards of 30 mins (and more) cleaning & dusting! Did not use the bar downstairs but it was busy every evening and did not frequent the dining room (no need with the selection in the lounge upstairs)! Will definitely make the Brown a favorite stopover when I'm in Louisville!

Room Tip: If at first your room isn't acceptable ask for a change, the front desk was very accomodating to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our Club floor. It is a great value, with the morning continental and evening hors d’oeuvres.
Our staff were very happy to read your kind comments regarding our service.
Great to hear you will be returning.
Vice President and General Manager

Been to The Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!