“Always Top Notch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Hotel

You added The Brown Hotel to your Saves list
The Brown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary Wifi
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Cornwall On Hudson, New York
“Always Top Notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Brown Hotel deserves its four star rating. It is an elegant hotel with excellent service and very well appointed and comfortable rooms. Was here for four nights for a conference (not the first experience here). Bell staff were especially helpful. Whenever I called for my car it was very quickly delivered at the entrance. The walls are a bit thin (we heard our neighbor on the phone and could easily understand her actual words. But this is an old hotel...not much they can do about the walls now.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators and ice machine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Chicago
1,266 reviews 1,266 reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three consecutive nights during a recent trip to Louisville.

The Brown Hotel is in a great location close to restaurants, coffee shops and bars. Our room was huge with a very large bathroom. Nice shower with plenty of hot water and good pressure. Parking is $20 per day with in and out privileges when added to room. The Brown Hotel has a nice lounge with a small intimate bar with great bartenders and a huge selection of bourbons. Try “The Hot Brown” in their restaurant. It is an amazing open-faced creation.

We encountered several flaws during our three-day stay:

*Hot stuffy room as the a/c didn't cool well.

*WiFi extremely slow.

*Didn’t change the sheets even thorough we left the card on the bed.

*Terrible Bathroom lighting; difficult time seeing to shave.

*Road noise from 4th street.

*Not enough towels.

*Drapes didn't close all the way.

*Cheap brand of Kleenex that was very rough and coarse.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit and your positive thoughts regarding our location, bartenders and large sleeping rooms.
Please accept my apologies for the issues you noted. When your travels next bring you to Louisville, please allow me to handle your reservation and I will ensure that we meet your every expectation.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Attended a conference here, gorgeous early 1900's architecture. The hotel has a story and the service is at the level I can imagine it was on the first day. Great location downtown, very picturesque areas of Louisville all around.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,
Delighted to hear you enjoyed our service and location.
Please allow me to handle your reservation on your next visit to our great city.

Versailles, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently stayed at the brown and found that there was mold in the rooms. I recognized the smell immediately, almost like a gas leak. Apparently rather than addressing the situation, the brown had covered it up with air fresheners and painting over it. Then when I was in the club lounge I noticed the staff wasn't checking IDs before serving liquor. A questionably aged girl at the table next to me asked for a glass of wine and without quesiton, the consierge delivered it to her. In addition to that, they handled the food in the consierge without using gloves or washing their hands, a health code violation. During my two day stay I overhead another guest speaking about finding a bed bug in the room across the hall from me but it looked like the Brown had already checked another guest into it. In addition, when I went to the English grill, I noticed the same famnous Hotbrown I had ordered at the cafe was more expensive. It's the same food!!! Finally, the rooms are small and everything is an extra charge. It took longer than it should to ready my room, I really can't see why people are fooled by the Browns poor quality. Sure it's old, but that's about it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors didn't have mold in them
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went to Louisville to celebrate my Husband's 70th birthday also to cheer and support my son and his wife who joined the Ironman Event. I checked the hotels around Louisville and found out that Brown Hotel has a very interesting history compared to the other hotel so my family reserved for 4 days in this hotel. We arrived in the Louisville airport around midnight and the hotel's shuttle bus came to pick us up with no problem. The front desk staff were very courteous and helpful. The room was very clean, has 2 double beds and has the best view of the city They clean our room twice a day which is really good.. I paid extra for the club Lounge and the lounge served good breakfast. We enjoyed the bar in the lobby and the design of the lobby is very interesting. Also there are a lot of good restaurants around the hotel and in the hotel itself. Location was excellent especially for the Ironman event of my children. We definitely enjoyed our stay in this hotel and we will surely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Nice to have you with us for the Ironman competition. I hope the children fared well in the race!!
We look forward to having you with us at next year’s Ironman event. Please allow me to handle your reservation and ensure we have a nice room.

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Visited Louisville with my son a a college visit to Bellarmine and stayed at The Brown for 2 nights. Our room was huge, 2 queens and very spacious. My son loved the lobby and restaurants. Food is very good. Lobby bar very good as well. Staff were excellent. Rooms were very very clean. Would definitely stay at The Brown again. Nice location.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Great to hear you enjoyed your visit.
We hope to have you back in future. Please let me know if ever I may be of assistance.

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at The Brown Hotel while visiting the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. The front desk staff is very courteous and professional. Our room was clean, bed was comfy. The rooms are a bit outdated but it goes with the overall look of the hotel. My only pet peeve in the room is that I hate it when there are no vents in the bathrooms. Picky, I know.

Our favorite part of the stay was having cocktails in the lobby bar. Nicole, our cocktail waitress, was so nice! We loved her. And the drinks are fantastic. Get the Bourbon Manhattan - you won't regret it.

The only negative about the location of the hotel is that there are some rather sad folks milling around. Lots of homeless people along the streets. Didn't see anything too sketchy, but several asked for money and food. Certainly not the hotel's fault, but an observation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!