“Fairytale Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Hotel

You added The Brown Hotel to your Saves list
The Brown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Special Deal
Brown Hotel Package
Ranked #5 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville
“Fairytale Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I cannot say enough positive things about our experience from start to finish at this beautiful historic hotel in downtown Louisville. Jeri Payne and her staff are top notch and from pre-planning to final day execution, it was a day (a fairtyale day) we will never forget. Jeri's team was patient and worked to make sure we were happy from start to finish. They worked with us to perfect our menu and make sure all of the details of our night were in order. We are still getting rave reviews (and many have said it's the best wedding food they ever had). I cannot think of a nicer group to work with; they paid attention to all of the details and this is a venue that is beyond beautiful. All of our vendors said working at the Brown is one of their favorite wedding spots. I see why. It was a work of art at the end of the night and I cannot imagine having had my wedding anywhere else. Thank you Brown for making a bride's dream come true!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write.
Jeri has been coordinating weddings at the Brown for close to ten years and does a fabulous job. It is great to see you recognize the work she puts in to make the evening perfect.
It is always nice to receive a note with the words wedding and “fairytale” together.
We wish you all the best and hope to see you back in future for an anniversary.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

The Brown is one of the two Grand Dames of Louisville's hotels. Yes, it can be a little frayed around the edges but if I wanted sterilie and perfect, I'd book into a new Holiday Inn Express. My room was large and spotlessly clean with real woodwork and solid core panel doors.. The bedding was first class and the bathroom large and well equipped. The lobby bar is a great place to sip Kentucky whiskey and enjoy the feel old wood and high ceilings. I had dinner at the English Grill which was fantastic. Everyone on the staff who I encountered was friendly and helpful. I had actually booked through Hotwire and had a great rate but was pleasantly surprised when I checked and they upgraded me to a club level floor. The location is downtown, just a few blocks from the downtown core. Yes, there were some panhandlers but nothing that made me feel unsafe or uncomfortable. I highly recommend the Brown.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your thoughts following your recent visit.
Our lobby bar is a wonderful spot to choose from among the 50+ Kentucky Bourbons we carry. Many of our guests tour the “Urban Bourbon Trail” while visiting Louisville.
We are working very hard on the “edges” you mention, with a renovation of our guest rooms happening now. By the end of January we will have finished 3/4s of the rooms, and will finish up this summer.
Please let me know if your travels bring you back soon and I will ensure we place you in one of our fabulous “new” rooms.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Brown has a beautiful lobby, a nice gift shop, and though I didn't eat there, a couple very nice restaurants. I would agree with many reviews I have read, we like to walk around and explore a city but felt very uncomfortable as soon as within 1/2 a block from the Brown. Panhandlers begging for change. One literally chased me into a building as he pursued me from across the street. Iffy internet, dead TV, and slow, very slow elevators were disappointing. Staff was friendly and willing to help. Rooms and hallways straddled the line between historic and just plain old. Very noisy at night inside and out. I would recommend spending half as much at a chain hotel and visiting the Brown. It's nice but not $200+ per night nice.

Room Tip: Our room was an exterior room facing Broadway with a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cookeville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

This famous Hotel has a wonderful foodie specialty, the "hot Brown". Great comfort food and you should treat yourself if you are in the area.

I could not find my Kindle when I got home and was sure it was lost at a convention site. I gave up on it. Then Adam at The Brown Hotel tracked me down to tell me I had left it at the restaurant and they had figured out how to locate the owner-me. THANK YOU ADAM FOR THE OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER CARE!

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed at the Brown Hotel 11/19/11, completely enthused about finally getting to stay in this historic hotel I had only visited previously for events. I was returning to KY for the holidays and wanted to kick off my stay w/a "treat" to myself and my boyfriend, who had never stepped foot inside this historic hotel. The majesty of the lobby and public spaces was great. The front desk people were great. The wait staff at lobby bar and hotel restaurant were great.... BUT the room was disgusting. There was an empty Gatorade bottle in the closet when we arrived and the bathroom was filthy. Shower head barely worked. Sooooo, disappointed. We were strapped for time (my flight was late and we had reservations at Proof on Main), else I would have demanded another room. What's worse, I shared this experience w/the Brown via online comments form and never heard from them. No apology or anything. Will never stay there again. If you want a first class experience in Louisville, stay at 21C or the Seelbach.

Room Tip: Choose 21C or the Seelbach. The Brown Hotel doesn't care about your experience.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

This historical hotel is beautiful inside and out. Large rooms. Fast elevators. Free wifi Internet connection. Great restaurants (no reason to eat elsewhere). Free airport shuttle (call them when you arrive, but you'd need to make a reservation one day before you leave the hotel). In addition, the staff are very friendly and helpful. The only drawback is its limited fitness facility.

Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I love to get out of chain hotels and stay in boutique or historic hotels occassionally and this was a great experience. The hotel is beautiful--I parked in the garage ($16) and entered the hotel from an elevator--ike stepping back in time. Heavy, ornate woodwork and high ceilings. Check in was fast and pleasant. The lobby is grand and exquisite---pictures don't do it justice. Later there was a cart with mugs and hot apple cider for guests in the lobby--Superb touch.

The hallway to room was a bit worn but it is a old hotel--but again enjoyed all the woodwork. The room was large and spacious with a nice desk. The bath was also large (see pics) but the tub was a bit antiquated with the fixtures. I was surprised to see paper cups for coffee at a 4 star hotel. The room was great (comfy bed) but the wall was paper thin. I could hear all of the man's conversation next door and every cough--there was a connecting door so that may have made it worse. I had to cut the fan and tv on to mask the sound.

Restaurant very nice with exceptional service. I ordered the tofu steak with a salad and water--$42 which is more than i normally pay for tofu ;-) but the presentation was worth it--the taste and texture of the "steak" left a lot to be desired but glad that I tried it.

Hotel was easy to access and I would stay again--everyone should experience it at least once.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!